Inspire 2 Keys... Why?
3761 19 2016-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Why do we have to pay for a key for DNG? Its an open format. We did not have to buy any key for the X5r... and why is it more expensive over the ProRes key?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CinemaDNG

From the above Wiki link:
Adobe has stated "CinemaDNG uses fully-documented, vendor-neutral, standard formats for video and imaging – DNG, TIFF/EP, and MXF. The format is unencrypted and free from intellectual property encumbrances or license requirements".

http://www.cinema-dng.com/?page_id=24/

From the above:
10. Do I have to license DNG for use?
Nope it’s open source, free license.

Ims sure there is more to it than I know... but it also can be DJI looking for another way to make money.. (does not suprise me) but thats what they are in the buisness to do I guess. Still do not feel its right to charge for something if they dont need to....  Anyone got anything, whats your thoughts?

2016-11-29
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
United States

Also, im going to assume some kind of OSMO "Pro / 2" will be designed for the new mount system and with the X5s installed and wanting to capture DNG... Ill need a License for that as well since its not for the camera, but for the device the camera is mounted to. That to me is a horrible way to do things. So, if thats the direction of where this is all going, $2k to be able to record DNG on 2 devices with the same camera? Even more If I want to do ProRes.
Im sorry, but this is crazy.
2016-11-29
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
United States

So im the only one that finds this odd?
2016-11-29
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

Nope, valid question, looking forward to the answer
2016-11-30
Use props
Heniek W
lvl.2

Canada

Salty777 Posted at 2016-11-30 05:08
Nope, valid question, looking forward to the answer

They will soon issue a statement that in order to open the gate to full speed of 108 Km/h all you have to do is pay a small fee and you can rip it as fast as the spec sheet says
2016-11-30
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
United States

Heniek W Posted at 2016-11-30 22:49
They will soon issue a statement that in order to open the gate to full speed of 108 Km/h all you  ...

Funny, but sad
DJI, any comment to the license questions?
Thank you
2016-11-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The CineDMG and Apple ProRes codecs listed are the property of third parties and to use them would require a licensing fee. It is common place for Professionals to pay these types of fees.  Please note that they are optional but you would not get the most out of this system, this would include the 480G CINESSD and reader.
2016-11-30
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gybo102 Posted at 2016-11-30 12:28
Funny, but sad
DJI, any comment to the license questions?
Thank you

To add to DJI-Jamie's reply, these are probably third-party hardware SOC/FPGA costs within the new CineCORE 2.0 as explained in this link ->

Click here to read more about possible licensing requirements
2016-11-30
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-1 06:45
The CineDMG and Apple ProRes codecs listed are the property of third parties and to use them would r ...

I understand they are optional, for me I would have to now spend an additional $1k to shoot raw..

So, is it safe to assume the cost will be passed to the customer again when the next gen "somo 2" comes out for the new mount?

I understand the point of license keys and all, I understand why you need it for the inspire, but at the same time, the key (from what I recall) has always been for the camera... not the "mount"
So if im understanding this correctly, when the Osmo 2 (or whatever it will be called) comes out, due to the processing being done in the Inspire 2 we will have to spend more money on keys for the "grip" so it can record the DNG footage frome the X5s

Am I correct with that?
2016-11-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Gybo102 Posted at 2016-12-1 07:38
I understand they are optional, for me I would have to now spend an additional $1k to shoot raw..  ...

Since it will read as a separate product, yes, you would need to pay for another license key to use it with that platform.
2016-11-30
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-1 07:14
Since it will read as a separate product, yes, you would need to pay for another license key to us ...

Well 'half product' as it uses the gimballed camera that costs a pretty $$$$
2016-12-1
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-1 02:14
Since it will read as a separate product, yes, you would need to pay for another license key to us ...

Im sorry, I love DJI products and all, but this is messed up. License keys were always for the camera... followed the camera.. so even if I have one X5s, have to buy 2 keys. That is very upsetting.
2016-12-2
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.3

United States

They key should follow the device. As far as I am aware the Osmo can do no recording or storage of the file format in any way shape or form. Just to add to this also. This is the same as taking a Canon 5d and sitting it on a tripod. So should I have to pay again for sitting it on a tripod? No, I do not think so.
2016-12-2
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rinzler Posted at 2016-12-2 15:50
They key should follow the device. As far as I am aware the Osmo can do no recording or storage of t ...

There will be a new "Osmo" handle that has the image processing hardware found in the inspire 2. Probably a bit less powerful too as it won't need to process the obstacle avoidance data. This is because the new cameras are basically just sensers & gimbals. The recording bit is now done via the device so on the inspire 2 & the new "Osmo".----
My personal view is keys should be associated to DJI accounts so you should only pay once & use on inspire & osmo as you'd still paid for the camera & liscence fees.

2016-12-2
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

dopey-tree Posted at 2016-12-2 09:32
There will be a new "Osmo" handle that has the image processing hardware found in the inspire 2. Pr ...

Hi dopey-tree, I see you got your name back
I tend to agree that the Keys should be associated with the DJI account to work on the licensed devices. Maybe this can change depending on how DJI hard-coded the keys.

Rich
2016-12-2
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.3

United States

dopey-tree Posted at 2016-12-2 12:32
There will be a new "Osmo" handle that has the image processing hardware found in the inspire 2. Pr ...

Thanks for clearing that up. Since selling my I1 i have fallen out of touch with the new setups recently .
2016-12-2
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

An Inspire 2 License Key activates the usage permission of CinemaDNG or Apple ProRes inside CineCore 2.0. There are many standards
of CinemaDNG or Apple ProRes License Keys available for purchase.The purchase of a license key unlocks a license permanently. No re-purchase or subscription
required.Used with the DJI CINESSD and the optimized FAT32/exFAT file system, License Keys enable Hollywood-grade video formats to be captured for advanced post-production.

http://www.dji.com/service/inspire-2-license-key
2016-12-3
Use props
Goldman
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-30 14:45
The CineDMG and Apple ProRes codecs listed are the property of third parties and to use them would require a licensing fee. It is common place for Professionals to pay these types of fees.  Please note that they are optional but you would not get the most out of this system, this would include the 480G CINESSD and reader.

No, CinemaDNG is not. It is a free and open standard, unencumbered by licensing requirements. Did you not read the above link?
2017-8-28
Use props
fansd32fecc4
lvl.1
United States

There charging for something that free? WTF.
2017-8-31
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

My take on one of the links above is Cinecore 2.0 belongs to Atomos who DJI bought the licensed chip from which has the open-source codecs on it.  Since they bought the chip, Atomos can sell it for whatever they want even though the codec is free within it as they wrote the program to work in whatever camera (DJI X5S) uses it.  Seems a huge sales ploy by Atomos Cinecore 2.0 but not much DJI could do about it since they had didn't do the programming work themselves and went and second sourced it for a price, and probably tacked on additional high fees to police it internally and paying off Atomos Cinecore.

Somewhat like when Sigma got sued by Nikon for using their lens firmware chips to work on Nikons without Nikon licensing them to Sigma for use.  Then Nikon messed with the camera code so they wouldn't work and once the Sigma lawsuit settled, Sigma redid the firmware so they would work.  Pay to play, although Cinecore 2.0 does seem way overpriced (But so are their monitors if you look!) and it will limit the use of the X5S camera on another platform (i.e. OSMO) without another overpriced license for the video chip.  DJI blew it in the purchasing of it and got locked in, imho.  Probably didn't have the programmers onboard to do the free-codec work for them.  I don't get the DJI/Hassleblad connection either as Hassy was never good in the video field, unless they are in for the still chip itself.

My speculation only of reading the link, and I may 100% wrong too.
2017-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules