Disabling GPS (and other sensors)
14285 6 2016-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Birdog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 664521 ft
United States

Is it possible to fly without any of the electronic assistants ?

My thinking behind this is, at some point I will/might lose GPS, or have a compass or IMU error while flying and would like to practice flying without any of the sensors.

I know there are 2 compass and 2 IMU.

It would be usefull to have some experience flying without any of the electronics assistants in a controlled area and at an expected time, so if something happens out of the blue I am a bit more prepared.

Same reason I learned how to slide a car around a corner, not so that I could show off but so if it does happen I have experience, dont panic and can deal with the situation.

Also, it might be fun.
2016-11-30
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

Just go into main menu and disable.

Be prepared.
2016-11-30
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 664521 ft
United States

Mooney Posted at 2016-11-30 19:01
Just go into main menu and disable.

Be prepared.

Is GPS in there aswell ? have seen the bottom sensors but nothing else
2016-11-30
Use props
Mayoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

You cant disable GPS i think .. Force ATTI is coming later as per dev ..
2016-11-30
Use props
No1much
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143878 ft
United States

I don't think GPS can be manually disabled on the Mavic, though the obstacle detection and downward vision sensors seem to be able to turn off manually.

Atti mode only happens on  a Mavic if the vision sensors are off or it's too dark for them to work, and GPS isn't available.
The Phantom series can be put manually into Atti mode with a switch on the controller, and other than that... I highly recommend doing a little bit of research on "toy" quadcopters, as they are usually the simplest kind: For example, the best-selling toy quad on Amazon right now can't even sense its current altitude, so it would be good to practice manual flight.

It's significantly less powerful than the Mavic, of course (brushed vs brushless motors, among other things, account for this) but no one worries about wrecking a $40 toy quad, and in High sensitivity mode, it actually handles very similarly to the Mavic in ATTI mode (minus the altitude hold of course.)
2016-11-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Just as mentioned above. You cannot disable GPS manually. The aircraft will automatically identify the GPS signal.
2016-12-1
Use props
Spencer451
lvl.1
United States

I wanted to practice in atti mode, here is how I disabled the gps. First aluminum foil does not work. I order a cell phone pouch off eBay that blocks gps, took the liner out of it and formed a cover for the back of the Mavic, results, zero gps.
2017-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules