Any small android tablet compatible?
8445 37 2016-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sailinghappysil
lvl.1

United States

I am already tired of removing my 7 plus from the controller when I need it for other uses like rec'ing a call or checking email or etc...   
Will just about any cheap small tablet be compatible/sufficient with the controller or do I need to go buy a ipad mini?  Really don't want a mini because I holding off to get a big ipad pro.  The only use the cheap tablet would get would be for dedicated mavic use.  I see small tablets for sale for 50 or 75 bucks.

2016-12-3
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

Nexus 7 2013 version
2016-12-3
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
Flight distance : 363862 ft
United States

I was in the market for the same thing, a small but not to expensive android tablet.  That Nexus 7 is high to me.  

I have a tablet to don't get:  it's a Samsung galaxy tab 4 7".  The video will glitch too much.  I even replaced the OS with prism bare and it didn't help.

2016-12-20
Use props
Forhad Hossen
lvl.1

Bangladesh

Sony Xperia Z4 tablet
2016-12-23
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Wes1977 Posted at 2016-12-20 12:19
I was in the market for the same thing, a small but not to expensive android tablet.  That Nexus 7 is high to me.  

I have a tablet to don't get:  it's a Samsung galaxy tab 4 7".  The video will glitch too much.  I even replaced the OS with prism bare and it didn't help.

Wes,

The Tab 4 doesn't have enough processing a graphics power for the newer versions of DJI Go or Litchi. I have 2 tablets that work very well but they're not cheap. The Galaxy Tab S2 and the Nvidia Shield.

Jerry
2016-12-24
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
United Arab Emirates

I have been using the tab4 for the last couple of days.  I had to enable USB debugging in the developer options.  It's not perfect but it's good.  I also enabled force GPU rendering.  It also fits in the holder, barely but it holds it.
2016-12-24
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
United States

An update.  The TAB4 does work ok on the DJI GO app but is pretty much useless on DJI GO 4.0.

On the DJI GO I did notice a problem if you take a picture you may loss your video for a min or so.  I have also loss the connection to my app.  I have video cache turned off.  I think it has something to do with sending that big picture back to the tablet.
2016-12-29
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-12-24 08:43
Wes,

The Tab 4 doesn't have enough processing a graphics power for the newer versions of DJI Go or Litchi. I have 2 tablets that work very well but they're not cheap. The Galaxy Tab S2 and the Nvidia Shield.

will any of those tablets squeeze in the mavic controller like the Tab4 7"?
2016-12-29
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

In the UK I have bought a "Bush R2" from Argos (UK people will understand). It's about £80 and has a good spec, very surprisingly, and appears to be a OEM design from Archos. The screen glass is not great - it comes with a film protector already - and it will feel like the glass screen is soft and bendy. That said, it *just* fits the Mavic arms, and works fine. Android 6.x, 2GB RAM, 32GB flash, HD screen, HDMI out (!) etc.
2016-12-29
Use props
Jan_Leh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3333 ft
Germany

I have tested my Asus Nexus 7 2013 and I got some strong timelags and image errors. Do I need to change something in the setup of the Mavic? I mean, 1-3 sec timelag is not normal... ;)
2016-12-29
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
United States

anyone have one of these: Asus Zenpad S 8 Z580C-B1-BK 8 inches 32GB Tablet (Black)

my tab 4 7"Dimensions  are:  4.25 x 7.36 x 0.35 in

the Asus zenpad S 8 is:  8 x 5.3 x 0.3 in   should be close to fitting.  that's a .64 in difference in width.

2016-12-29
Use props
Chazzm
lvl.2

United States

Is or have there been any issues related to the nvidia shield K1 tablet? I have been reading that this tablet runs very well with the DJI go app, and the DJI go 4 app as well!?!? I'd really like to use it for the HDMI output until the DJI goggles are available for purchase,,,,, has there been anything mentioned???
2016-12-29
Use props
JtrJr01
lvl.1
United States

Wes1977 Posted at 2016-12-29 06:50
will any of those tablets squeeze in the mavic controller like the Tab4 7"?

Wes,

Yes, the Tab S2 (8") will fit in the holder. It works but I didn't like the feel of it so I devised a couple of other holders.

Jerry
Tablet S2-01.JPG
Tablet S2-02.JPG
Tablet S2-03.JPG
Tablet S2-04.JPG
Tablet S2-05.JPG
2016-12-29
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
United States

all I can say is wow.  I do like it.  I just don't won't to have to carry more stuff.  I have gotten used to flying with the 7" Tab4, I don't push it in as much as it is a tight fit in thickness.  The Tab S2 is thinner by specs.

Have you tried the DJI GO 4.0 app on the S2?  does it run smooth?

I see the earlier S2 model on Craig's list for $150 in my area.
2016-12-29
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Kindle Fire 7"?  It would be only a slight hassle to get it synced with the Play Store (almost everyone seems to do it), and it's only $50 from Amazon new.  They were selling them refrubed before Christmas for ~$37 or so, and I assume that means we'll see them hit that price again in the future.  I know they play 720p movies OK but they might be too slow with all the extra overlay overhead.  Even at $50, it's an excellent price point if it works.
2016-12-29
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Wes1977 Posted at 2016-12-29 09:18
all I can say is wow.  I do like it.  I just don't won't to have to carry more stuff.  I have gotten used to flying with the 7" Tab4, I don't push it in as much as it is a tight fit in thickness.  The Tab S2 is thinner by specs.

Have you tried the DJI GO 4.0 app on the S2?  does it run smooth?

Wes,

Yes, I've used it on DJI Go 3 and DJI Go 4 and both work well. I've installed and run Litch as well but haven't flown with it yet.

Jerry
2016-12-29
Use props
fans9d21242f
lvl.1

Singapore

Hi , is anyone using xaomi mi max is 6.4 inch running on Android 6.0 ? Will like to know it is compatible with mavic ...?
2016-12-31
Use props
Bobaloo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42051 ft
United States

It doesn't work well with the latest Galaxy S2.  You need to start the tablet after it being connected to the MC with the MC & Mavic powered up.
2016-12-31
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the nvidia shield k1 and I got a asus z8 tablet with data through Verizon for Christmas. The asus was on sale for. 99.00 and free data for 2 years with my phone upgrade. I like the screen on the asus but don't think it's fast enough for the app. The shield is a lot faster but I haven't got the tablet mount yet. I ordered a mount from mavmount.com and just received a completed order email so hopefully it won't be too much longer. I know I'll be using the k1 but I'll try the asus also to see if it works and let people know.
2016-12-31
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) 7" and it works great......no issues to report and has never crashed the app (knock on wood). I also have to use the USB debugging mode when using DJI GO 4 app but not for the DJI GO app....
2016-12-31
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2016-12-31 11:22
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) 7" and it works great......no issues to report and has never crashed the app (knock on wood). I also have to use the USB debugging mode when using DJI GO 4 app but not for the DJI GO app....

I have the same exact tablet. And it constantly freezes on the video feed. What other settings have you changed to make it work correctly? And you are using it with a mavic? It is completely worthless at this point.
2016-12-31
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

It only freezes for a second or so on occasion but that is when I am flying from my back yard in the neighborhood and fly it 1/4 mile or so away out of LOS. So I attribute this to the RC to Mavic transmission not the tablet. I have all other apps turned off and actually leave it in Wi-Fi mode thus far. I can take a screenshot of my settings when I am back home...what settings in particular are you wanting to see?

Also, FWIW, I am still using the DJI GO app not the DJI GO 4 app as I have heard too many buggy issues with it and the older app works fine for me so far. I have connected suing the GO 4 app but have not flown with it....
And yes, i am using it for the Mavic
2016-12-31
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

Bobaloo Posted at 2016-12-31 04:17
It doesn't work well with the latest Galaxy S2.  You need to start the tablet after it being connected to the MC with the MC & Mavic powered up.

All my devices are doing it. I have to wait to have MP and RC connected and I can plug usb in phone to automatically start app. If App already started it will not connect.
2016-12-31
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2016-12-31 18:23
It only freezes for a second or so on occasion but that is when I am flying from my back yard in the neighborhood and fly it 1/4 mile or so away out of LOS. So I attribute this to the RC to Mavic transmission not the tablet. I have all other apps turned off and actually leave it in Wi-Fi mode thus far. I can take a screenshot of my settings when I am back home...what settings in particular are you wanting to see?

Also, FWIW, I am still using the DJI GO app not the DJI GO 4 app as I have heard too many buggy issues with it and the older app works fine for me so far. I have connected suing the GO 4 app but have not flown with it....

My Samsung S5 does not have any lag and works perfect as far as I have flown.I just want an android tablet that works like my phone. So I have a much bigger screen.  I guess when Im trying to take good video it is really bothersome when trying to pan or go sideways when the video feed stops. Its not the controller at all.
2016-12-31
Use props
fans61b37ad7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-12-24 08:43
Wes,

Been waiting for my for my Mavic - since Sept 27 - but want to know if the Samsung 8" S2 fits the remote holder and if it requires a shield to view?
2016-12-31
Use props
daniel19
lvl.1
United States

I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" LTE to be dedicated for use with the Mavic. Whenever using the DJI GO or the DJI GO 4 app I initially experience very long latency in the video stream as seen on the tablet, as much as 10 seconds. If I exit the app and enter again the delay is less than 250ms. I don't know why it doesn't work and then it appears to work. I can reproduce this issue every time I use it.

I've enabled USB debugging, but it sounds like reconnecting it like the aforementioned step of connecting the USB after the Mavic and controller are online is the trick.

It really is a good sized tablet for the remote so I hope it works out eventually.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 LTE on Sprint SM-237P
2016-12-31
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

fans61b37ad7 Posted at 2016-12-31 20:20
Been waiting for my for my Mavic - since Sept 27 - but want to know if the Samsung 8" S2 fits the remote holder and if it requires a shield to view?

Wes,

As indicated in my post and my first pic, yes, it will fit in the stock holder. I haven't flown with it but about 3-4 times due to the weather so I'm not certain about the sunshade yet.

Jerry
2016-12-31
Use props
wojdop
lvl.3
Flight distance : 564469 ft
Poland

Im thinking about small tablet for the Mavic. Galaxy Tab 4 looked like a perfect option for it, but some of you say that it doesnt work well. Xiaomi mi pad is nice as well (good price and its quite powerfull) but it doesnt have the GPS build in, is it a problem? For RTH for example the lack of gps in the tablet can be an issue, or the controler itself has the gps?
2017-1-2
Use props
MR BringIt
lvl.2
United States

I have had good look with the Samsung galaxy tab 4 7" SM-T237P.  I purchased it for my P3A, and now using it with my mavic.  Only thing I noticed that I need todo every time before flight is, close all running apps in the background and restart tablet before launching DJI go or go 4. I have used both apps with perfect success(so far).  Seeing as I only use this tab for flying, and it's powered off most of the time, I do not see any problems.  I agree it's the perfect size and becomes more comfortable to hold with a 90 micro USB cable.  

What would be really cool is if you could run the app in portrait mode on larger tabs, not like portrait photos.  I would like to see it in split screen. I would like to see the top half of the screen be the video feed and the bottom half the map. This would be good for full size iPads and tablets 9" and bigger. They both fit in the grips if they are held in portrait view.  
2017-1-2
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
United States

Jeromeo Posted at 2016-12-31 18:28
All my devices are doing it. I have to wait to have MP and RC connected and I can plug usb in phone to automatically start app. If App already started it will not connect.

same with my Tab 4 7"

You guys flying with the Tab 4, when you press the right camera button on the controller do you lose video like I do?  Happens everytime for me, sometimes it returns sometimes not.  It happened to me the first time at 3,300 ft away from home and scared the crap out of me.

I have my video cache turned off, kinda wish I could do that for photos since I believe it is having a hard time receiving that big photo back to the tablet.
2017-1-3
Use props
wojdop
lvl.3
Flight distance : 564469 ft
Spain

Finally I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) 7" to use it with Mavic and I have to say that it work great. Video is smooth all the time. DJI GO 4 works as good as at my phone (Xperia Z1c).

Wes1977 I have no problem with the video while capturing photos as you are saying.

I have the LTE version, which has a bit faster CPU and I have almost no software installed to keep it light. Maybe that makes it working well?
2017-1-12
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
United States

I'm PO because when they stop supporting the DJI Go app I can't use my Tab 4 anymore.
2017-1-23
Use props
The Dax
lvl.1

United States

Does your tablet need 3g/4g/LTE ? I am in the market for a new tablet but need more info before the purchase.
2017-2-16
Use props
fans238d7034
lvl.1
Flight distance : 697936 ft
Belgium

seeker_ktf_ Posted at 2016-12-29 10:17
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Kindle Fire 7"?  It would be only a slight hassle to get it synced with the Play Store (almost everyone seems to do it), and it's only $50 from Amazon new.  They were selling them refrubed before Christmas for ~$37 or so, and I assume that means we'll see them hit that price again in the future.  I know they play 720p movies OK but they might be too slow with all the extra overlay overhead.  Even at $50, it's an excellent price point if it works.

yes and its useless for it massive time lag
2017-3-26
Use props
TTT
New
New Zealand

Hi
Have just purchased our mavic and think its fantastic. Trying to find a device that will fit the RC holder 7 inches or so that will work without lag. Cant fork out for the mini 4 yet until we get over the purchase. We are limited as to what we can get in NZ. Tried to get the X2 as feedback here seems good on it,  but seems impossible to get. My phone has 2gig ram but lags and 5,5 screen too small for me ole eyes. My wifes SE works fine but too small and she needs it.

Are there any updates on tablets that work well with go4? My phone has lag and would like bigger screen. Have borrowed a samsung tab A and doesn't seem too bad around home, but some lag, would like no lag if poss.. I have seen the posts on the Samsung s2 8.0 . This looks like it can fit and I can get hold on one here but wont be able to return it if it doesn't work so want to make sure it runs well.
It seems that if you have an android with 3 gigs Ram with decent processor it works okay?
Great posts thanks! Thanks posting your pictures Jerry

2017-8-7
Use props
That Drone Dude
New

New Zealand

JtrJr01 Posted at 2016-12-29 09:07
Wes,

Yes, the Tab S2 (8") will fit in the holder. It works but I didn't like the feel of it so I devised a couple of other holders.

Hi there,
Could you please send me the link to the tablet holder which you used in several photos when replying about fitting a small tablet the Mavic contoller ????
Kind regards
Kody.
2017-8-24
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

USE PGY Tech TAB HOLDER ITS METAL!!!
2017-8-25
Use props
Jos A