Intermittent jerk in video shooting [video]
6576 31 2016-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
int0x80
lvl.3
Flight distance : 668015 ft
United States

I found this problem today. I also noticed the shake in the realtime video stream on attached phone.
I think this is a gimbal related problem but not 100% sure.
It doesn't always do this, but is a issue for me.

The video shows how it looks like, start at 1:05. You can see it around 1:09, 1:23, 1:29, 1:35, 1:48 ....

2016-12-5
Use props
D.Walls
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4908 ft
Spain

Yeah, looks bad. I don't have the Mavic yet but I've been reading this forum since I ordered so I would tell you to do a gimball calibration. Also I have noticed that the bottom right corner of your video is very soft, I think this is probably a lens issue with your camera.
2016-12-5
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

D.Walls Posted at 2016-12-5 07:31
Yeah, looks bad. I don't have the Mavic yet but I've been reading this forum since I ordered so I would tell you to do a gimball calibration. Also I have noticed that the bottom right corner of your video is very soft, I think this is probably a lens issue with your camera.

I calibrated the gimbal one week ago, IMHO that should only effect the horizontal level of the image...
Yeah, the right corner blurry is really annoying. People already started a thread for this. If you manually focus on that area it will be crisp. I guess it is not a hardware issue.
Nevertheless I will try to calibrate the gimbal again and see how it goes.
2016-12-5
Use props
rapcon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8871 ft
  • >>>
United States

int0x80 Posted at 2016-12-5 10:18
I calibrated the gimbal one week ago, IMHO that should only effect the horizontal level of the image...
Yeah, the right corner blurry is really annoying. People already started a thread for this. If you manually focus on that area it will be crisp. I guess it is not a hardware issue.
Nevertheless I will try to calibrate the gimbal again and see how it goes.

You might want to check the speed of your micro sdcard.  If it is already a fast card, I would recommend reformatting it in the Mavic Pro.
2016-12-5
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

rapcon Posted at 2016-12-5 11:46
You might want to check the speed of your micro sdcard.  If it is already a fast card, I would recommend reformatting it in the Mavic Pro.

Thanks, that is a good point. I am using SanDisk. It has a bad reputation on SD card quality, especially in dashcam, which rewrites data all the time.
This is the exact model : SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC UHS-3 ( https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-E ... N6MA/dp/B01HU3Q6S4/ )
I would say the spec fulfills DJI's requirement (Class 10/U1), and the write peak speed should appear when the picture has sudden change or has complicated elements.

I will reformat it and see, but honestly don't have much expectation on this fix...
2016-12-5
Use props
Petbrit
lvl.3
Germany

Hi,

don´t think that it is a SD card issue.

Is it a straight flight? Looks like there is a short stop or going down a little bit.

Anyway DJI should reply on this, as I believe a lot of people do have this problem, like you and me.

I am waiting in my thread for a final reply as well and will watch progress here
2016-12-5
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

Petbrit Posted at 2016-12-5 14:04
Hi,

Yes, that happens in straight flight.

I didn't notice any issue when Mavic is hovering/keeping still. That been said, the problem happens when moving.

It is acceptable to shake when in sudden yaw, stop, or start, but shouldn't happens in uniform motion.
2016-12-5
Use props
Petbrit
lvl.3
Germany

Agree completely, DJI needs to comment on this
2016-12-5
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 390863 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Petbrit Posted at 2016-12-6 03:04
Hi,

Ya I have a very similar problem where the video stutters mostly when flying forward. It looks like the image stabilization is cutting out for a second. I have done a firmware refresh, factory reset, and recalibrated EVERYTHING and still have this problem. Pretty sure I have to send it in for warranty repair.
2016-12-5
Use props
GroveTuckey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 264134 ft
United States

I have had this happen also and would like to know what DJI has to say about it.
2016-12-5
Use props
Evan8tr
lvl.2
United States

Same here. Checked gimbal attachments, reformatted, reset factory settings, and recalibrated everything. Still having the same issue. Mine seems to happen more frequently. Lots of waviness and lines.
2016-12-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We received your e-mail and will help you create a case, it needs to be sent in for further evaluation, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2016-12-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Evan8tr Posted at 2016-12-6 03:49
Same here. Checked gimbal attachments, reformatted, reset factory settings, and recalibrated everything. Still having the same issue. Mine seems to happen more frequently. Lots of waviness and lines.

Sorry for the trouble, may I know have you contacted our tech support to send it in?
2016-12-5
Use props
Evan8tr
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-5 23:00
Sorry for the trouble, may I know have you contacted our tech support to send it in?

Natalia,

I have not yet. Waiting for good weather to fly a few more times to see if the problem continues. I will keep you updated if it persists. Thanks for checking.
2016-12-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Evan8tr Posted at 2016-12-6 15:36
Natalia,

I have not yet. Waiting for good weather to fly a few more times to see if the problem continues. I will keep you updated if it persists. Thanks for checking.

That's fine, please let us me know the performance, thank you.
2016-12-5
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

From looking at your video, it seems that the jerk happens when you are coming to a stop... Are you simply letting go of the stick?  

Try changing your Expo settings to 0.25/0.20 for Forward/Right and Backward/Left, and set the "Brake" under "Stick Filtering" to 80 or below to reduce the amount of force the Mavic uses to stop.  The default braking action of the Mavic is extremely aggressive which almost always causes the video to jerk...

When flying, you should also move the sticks slowly back to the center instead of letting it go from full throttle to stop so the Mavic has more time to decelerate and reduce the jerk...  Smooth video requires smooth flying...
2016-12-6
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-6 01:59
We received your e-mail and will help you create a case, it needs to be sent in for further evaluation, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Hey Natalia, thanks for the timely reply.

I got the label shipment email. Would you mind to give out a preliminary evaluation if possible?

Because I actually pretty like this drone and fly it on daily basis, timing is a big concern to me. Could you please let me know the procedure of the `sent in for further evaluation`? and how long it will take?

Best,
int0x80
---

Edit: I also found the firmware just been updated, I will try it while waiting for the label. Thanks.

---

Edit 2: Well, I recived the label from UPS, didn't expect it would that fast. I have some questions:
What you need when I shipping back the Mavic? Just the drone itself? the RC? All accessories? What package should I use? I afraid UPS will damage the drone if not well packaged.
Thanks.
2016-12-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

int0x80 Posted at 2016-12-6 23:36
Hey Natalia, thanks for the timely reply.

I got the label shipment email. Would you mind to give out a preliminary evaluation if possible?

Glad to hear you have received the UPS label, generally speaking, it will take around 2 weeks for the process.
You could upgrade the firmware and test again. If it persists, then just send in the drone with the original box, no need the RC and accessories.
2016-12-6
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

It is just like slamming on the brakes in your car and the crap falling on the floor. Before sending it in try smoother stops and report back. May save you some down time.
2016-12-6
Use props
Adanggas
lvl.2

Canada

I can clearly see your mavic is slowing down every time it makes that judder. I would check your settings as well. When you let off the sticks on the mavic it's very aggressive and tips suddenly.
2016-12-6
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

chasiu75 Posted at 2016-12-6 22:28
It is just like slamming on the brakes in your car and the crap falling on the floor. Before sending it in try smoother stops and report back. May save you some down time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try this weekend and post the result here.
2016-12-6
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-6 22:14
Glad to hear you have received the UPS label, generally speaking, it will take around 2 weeks for the process.
You could upgrade the firmware and test again. If it persists, then just send in the drone with the original box, no need the RC and accessories.

That sounds cool. As other pilots suggested, I will try to move smoothly with the new firmware to see if this problem persists.
I also noticed the jerk came with signal lost. Is that possible it suddenly lost `moving forward` signal and reconnected -- during this short break it shakes due to the sudden stop?
Again, I really appreciate your help.
2016-12-6
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

MavicUser Posted at 2016-12-6 04:17
From looking at your video, it seems that the jerk happens when you are coming to a stop... Are you simply letting go of the stick?  

Try changing your Expo settings to 0.25/0.20 for Forward/Right and Backward/Left, and set the "Brake" under "Stick Filtering" to 80 or below to reduce the amount of force the Mavic uses to stop.  The default braking action of the Mavic is extremely aggressive which almost always causes the video to jerk...

Thanks a lot, that was a great point -- I was thinking on it.

Asides from the drone itself, I came up with two `theories` based on your point:
  • It's possible that I was so aggressive, I hope the flight log could be synchronized with the footage so I can see what I did at that moment. With your suggestion, I just changed the expo to gentle mode as well as the `brake`. I will especially careful next time.
  • This morning I found the jerk came with some RC picture shutters. I thought this might something to do with the signal lost. When the `forwarding` signal lost for half second, the sudden stop - reforward caused such jerk.

This is my first drone and just got it one week ago, hopefully that was my fault....
2016-12-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

int0x80 Posted at 2016-12-7 13:11
Thanks a lot, that was a great point -- I was thinking on it.

Asides from the drone itself, I came up with two `theories` based on your point:

Just to clarify, you did not send it in with the shipping label you have received last week, right?
Our support received your another e-mail with the focus issue today. We'll help you create a new case number and cancel the last one.
Please check your e-mail box later with the RMA number, thanks.
2016-12-14
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-14 22:25
Just to clarify, you did not send it in with the shipping label you have received last week, right?
Our support received your another e-mail with the focus issue today. We'll help you create a new case number and cancel the last one.
Please check your e-mail box later with the RMA number, thanks.

Hey Natalia, glad to hear from you again.
That is right. As we posted before, I am keeping my Mavic, tuned up control settings, and checking if the jerking issue persists.
For the blurry picture problem, I created another thread (http://forum.dji.com/thread-75821-1-1.html). I was wondering if a new case number is necessary.
So I just need to put the Mavic inside to original package right? Should I send in the battery?
Thanks for helping me again.

2016-12-14
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

yeah, braking issue and will idd brake when connection is lost. The craft will tilt suddenly at a great angle. It is more the camera jumping at the dampers, not so much the gimbal.
2016-12-14
Use props
tgs3838
lvl.3
Flight distance : 213957 ft
United States

I had this same problem as well. I kinda forgot about it since i wrecked my drone and had to send it in for repairs. But i had the same jerkiness as well. I just went back and watch some of my videos. Its kinda odd. Because i watched my early videos and couldnt find it happening at all. Then i watched a couple of my later videos and it would happened just about every time. Like above, it seemed to happen when i would stop the aircraft. And even when i would start flying again. Just thought it was kinda weird it started happening out of no where. I did have a mishap where my drone met a tree. So its possible it got some damage from that. And thats why it started happening out of no where. But thought Id throw out my experience with this issue.
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

int0x80 Posted at 2016-12-15 11:48
Hey Natalia, glad to hear from you again.
That is right. As we posted before, I am keeping my Mavic, tuned up control settings, and checking if the jerking issue persists.
For the blurry picture problem, I created another thread (http://forum.dji.com/thread-75821-1-1.html). I was wondering if a new case number is necessary.

I've checked your another thread, and Mindy has replied you already.
There is no need to send in the battery.
2016-12-14
Use props
fans124f0cb8
lvl.1

United States

I have a issue with my Mavic also, when flying and not stopping my video hesitates for about a half a second too! I have re-Calibrated all settings and still hesitates please give me some advise
2017-3-28
Use props
mildim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 981558 ft
Switzerland

fans124f0cb8 Posted at 2017-3-28 19:40
I have a issue with my Mavic also, when flying and not stopping my video hesitates for about a half a second too! I have re-Calibrated all settings and still hesitates please give me some advise

Hi ,

what do you mean by the video hesitates ?

Dimitris
2017-3-28
Use props
fans124f0cb8
lvl.1

United States

The video seems smooth for a little bit and then it has a  Half a second hesitation and then it's smooth again then again it hesitates and it does that on and on throughout the video
2017-3-29
Use props
djiuser_MUoGGPRktaSu
New

United States

I go to Quicktime player and export .mov file to 4K
2020-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules