11855 35 2016-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Hi folks,

I'm very tempted to do some night time flying even thought the thought of it scares me slightly. Is there any reason i should be scared to fly at night (besides the obvious...i'd be flying at least 40meters above the ground at all times)
Does anyone have any tips and info on what to do/not do when flying at night? .. ie turn the VPS sensors off??

Also if you have good camera settings to use for stills and video. I'd like to do some long exposure shots, car trailing lights etc

Cheers,
2016-12-5
Use props
Nerds=Drones
lvl.2

United States

I dont recommend itIt risks us all losing privilege of flying

Hows that

2016-12-5
Use props
cybaster
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13 ft
United States

Nerds=Drones Posted at 2016-12-5 09:41
Against laws. Dont do it. It risks us all losing privilege of flying

ok hold on, let's get the facts straight:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/
Safety Guidelines
Fly at or below 400 feet
Keep your UAS within sight
Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
Never fly over groups of people
Never fly over stadiums or sports events
Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
Never fly under the influence
Be aware of airspace requirements

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/
Fly for Work/Business (part 107)
Operating Rules:
Class G airspace*
Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)*
Must fly under 400 feet*
Must fly during the day*
Must fly at or below 100 mph*
Must yield right of way to manned aircraft*
Must NOT fly over people*
Must NOT fly from a moving vehicle*
* All of these rules are subject to waiver

no where does it say that night flying is not allowed for Fun/hobby. and even for commercial flights you can obtain waiver. so its not 'against the law' as you said.

please stay informed and don't repeat mis-information
Noted the OP is in the UK, so there maybe UK laws that need to be followed.
Since the reply comes from someone who seems to be in the US. these are the US guidelines straight from faa.gov

simple google search provided this

http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/# linked from the civil avation authorty in the UK https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... ones/Flying-drones/
2016-12-5
Use props
Nerds=Drones
lvl.2

United States

Fine!!!!! Its still dangerous.
Id just like to keep being able to fly drones
2016-12-5
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nerds=Drones Posted at 2016-12-5 17:41
Against laws. Dont do it. It risks us all losing privilege of flying

Hmm .. Thanks for that, but i'm not sure you're correct ...

http://www.fpvuk.org/fpv-law/

As cybaster says, i'm in the UK. so lets just say i'm a very law abiding citizen and you dont need to worry about me spoiling it for everyone else...
2016-12-5
Use props
Nerds=Drones
lvl.2

United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-5 12:02

true dat.  
2016-12-5
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

I think it might be your Avatar photo.  People just want to punch you when they see it.  
2016-12-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-5 18:02

Try some different settings, you will brighten up things with a higher ISO but maybe it will have a bit more noise than you like, try longer exposure settings 2 second, a lot will depend what your shooting video or stills.

Just remember your front lights are red, don't go to far for your first flight, and I would set your height at minimum 50 meters.
2016-12-5
Use props
HangTime81
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29032 ft
United States

cybaster Posted at 2016-12-5 09:53
ok hold on, let's get the facts straight:

Saying that night flying is not ok for commercial, but is for hobby, is just plain stupid. I don't care if the OP is in the UK.  As someone who participates also in the use of manned private aircraft, please keep your hobby craft out of the air at night. There is no way for manned aircraft to see and avoid you at night.
2016-12-5
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400190 ft
Canada

HangTime81 Posted at 2016-12-5 15:43
Saying that night flying is not ok for commercial, but is for hobby, is just plain stupid. I don't care if the OP is in the UK.  As someone who participates also in the use of manned private aircraft, please keep your hobby craft out of the air at night. There is no way for manned aircraft to see and avoid you at night.

Can't they see you better at night? Red LEDs on the front and green strobe on the rear.

I know I can see mine better at night.
2016-12-5
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400190 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-5 13:59
Try some different settings, you will brighten up things with a higher ISO but maybe it will have a bit more noise than you like, try longer exposure settings 2 second, a lot will depend what your shooting video or stills.

Just remember your front lights are red, don't go to far for your first flight, and I would set your height at minimum 50 meters.

Keep the ISO low and increase the exposure time. 2.5 seconds for car tail lights and 2-4 seconds for still shots at 100 ISO produced great images for me.

I'm crap at cleaning up noise in post so I avoid increasing the ISO at all costs.

I take a few at different exposure times and pic the best one later. Shoot in RAW and turn off your front LEDs before shooting or it will glow red.

2016-12-5
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HangTime81 Posted at 2016-12-5 20:43

Surely the rules apply weather its night or day? Its still the law that you cannot fly above 120Meters and must maintain LOS (amongst many others) ... all of which can and would be adhered to when flying at night .. i'd even go as far to say that i could see a model clearer at night due to the LEDS and strobes.

Manned aircraft should not be flying below 120meters, if they were, they would be breaking their own laws ...

so far i've had 2 on topic replys to this thread (thanks for that), and a fair few opinions on who should be doing what, and when, based on their own formulated rules and regs ... of which none are fact.
2016-12-5
Use props
HangTime81
lvl.1
United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-5 13:46
Surely the rules apply weather its night or day? Its still the law that you cannot fly above 120Meters and must maintain LOS (amongst many others) ... all of which can and would be adhered to when flying at night .. i'd even go as far to say that i could see a model clearer at night due to the LEDS and strobes.

Manned aircraft should not be flying below 120meters, if they were, they would be breaking their own laws ...

Danny,

I actually am a commercially licensed pilot, having studied and taken the requisite training and testing. For you people to go on how much better you can see your craft at night is irresponsible. It's not about whether you can see it, it's whether someone in a manned craft can safely see and avoid you in time. Doubtful. You are aware of your craft and tracking (hopefully) it. The manned craft pilot has no clue as to your presence and is not looking for your two tiny dots. And this comment is relevant to you and your ignorant insistence that this would be acceptable.
2016-12-5
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flying at night is perfectly safe, if you don't fly over people or property, and remain well under 400 ft. I'd most certainly do it in a rural area.. or a nice park to get some long exposures.
2016-12-5
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HangTime81 Posted at 2016-12-5 22:07
Danny,

I actually am a commercially licensed pilot, having studied and taken the requisite training and testing. For you people to go on how much better you can see your craft at night is irresponsible. It's not about whether you can see it, it's whether someone in a manned craft can safely see and avoid you in time. Doubtful. You are aware of your craft and tracking (hopefully) it. The manned craft pilot has no clue as to your presence and is not looking for your two tiny dots. And this comment is relevant to you and your ignorant insistence that this would be acceptable.

If you are commercially licenced, please respond to the fact that a drone (mainly mine) shouldnt be over 120m high ... and you, as a commercially licenced pilot, shouldnt be below that height ... ? Unless of course you are taking off from an airport or landing, in which case, i cannot fly my Mavic nor can anyone fly a DJI drone (as they are the drone of choice when it comes to media scare stories).

I'm a responsible drone pilot and you tarring us with the same brush "the numpties that fly stupidly" isnt fair, and is pretty much whats wrong with the media and the horror stories.

Be realistic and except that not everyone is out to get pilots.
I'm talking about flying near (within the boundaries of law) to my home town and taking some arial shots and video ... i'm not trying take down planes and kill people.
2016-12-5
Use props
HangTime81
lvl.1
United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-5 14:16
If you are commercially licenced, please respond to the fact that a drone (mainly mine) shouldnt be over 120m high ... and you, as a commercially licenced pilot, shouldnt be below that height ... ? Unless of course you are taking off from an airport or landing, in which case, i cannot fly my Mavic nor can anyone fly a DJI drone (as they are the drone of choice when it comes to media scare stories).

I'm a responsible drone pilot and you tarring us with the same brush "the numpties that fly stupidly" isnt fair, and is pretty much whats wrong with the media and the horror stories.

Right, like when my 6 year old insists 'it was an accident'. And that makes it right. Here's the US stance on it, for those who think it's legal...

https://ontheradar.foxrothschild ... rations-for-drones/
I'll have a hard time explaining to you your 'example' about hobby above 120m and commercial below 120m. That makes about as much sense as the rest of your arguments, and you are wrong. Period.

If you fly at night (in the states it's legal 30 minutes before listed local sunrise, and 30 minutes after listed local sunset) you are, indeed, a 'numpty'.
2016-12-5
Use props
Nerds=Drones
lvl.2

United States

I'd like to retract all my ignorant posts on this thread.
Happy night flying
2016-12-5
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

I fly quite often at night with many of my rc planes and copters. Very fun and actually with the proper lighting (leds) you can see the aircraft just as good as in the daytime. Anyone flying over my farm or mostly anywhere in a real airplane at night under 400 ft is already crashing so that's not my problem.
I have flown the mavic plenty of times at night already and the leds lights on it are very bright. You may want to change the setting that turns off the front lights when recording. Not sure on the proper camera settings.

A group of us used to get together a the local college parking lot and fly foamies under the lights. A blast to go straight up next to the light into the darkness a bit and let it fall where it may and recover. Also used to shoot model rockets at night with glow Sticks attached. Good times!

Warning!  Be sure to have a bright area to land at. The vision system needs light and without it landing is difficult. I take off right at my shop under the yard light where it is bright. Once in the air no problems.

2016-12-5
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Blade Breaker 0 Posted at 2016-12-5 23:05
I fly quite often at night with many of my rc planes and copters. Very fun and actually with the proper lighting (leds) you can see the aircraft just as good as in the daytime. Anyone flying over my farm or mostly anywhere in a real airplane at night under 400 ft is already crashing so that's not my problem.
I have flown the mavic plenty of times at night already and the leds lights on it are very bright. You may want to change the setting that turns off the front lights when recording. Not sure on the proper camera settings.

Cheers Blade,

can i ask if you have ever knowingly taken any manned aircraft down?

Joking aside, thanks for the info

I had toyed with the idea of turning the VPS system off for night flying as i realise it wont be effective in the dark.
2016-12-5
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

HangTime81 Posted at 2016-12-5 16:40
Right, like when my 6 year old insists 'it was an accident'. And that makes it right. Here's the US stance on it, for those who think it's legal...

FAA limits flight at night:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf
2016-12-5
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-5 17:17
Cheers Blade,

can i ask if you have ever knowingly taken any manned aircraft down?

I'd expect you would need to also crank the exposure up so you can see what your about to take a picture of. Then fix it and take the picture.  
2016-12-5
Use props
HangTime81
lvl.1
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-12-5
Use props
HangTime81
lvl.1
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-12-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

HangTime81 Posted at 2016-12-6 00:40
Keep that ISO low. Right down there with your IQ.

Reality is in U.K. As in Ireland he is allowed fly at night, as an licensed UMA pilot that's something I can tell you, there are regulations regarding this, and if Danny'B is responsible he will check this out.
He started thread looking for advice not abuse,  this is a forum for help and discussion,  the smart answer forum you might need to google that one.
2016-12-5
Use props
HangTime81
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-5 16:00
Reality is in U.K. As in Ireland he is allowed fly at night, as an licensed UMA pilot that's something I can tell you, there are regulations regarding this, and if Danny'B is responsible he will check this out.
He started thread looking for advice not abuse,  this is a forum for help and discussion,  the smart answer forum you might need to google that one.

I would hold that attempting to guide someone in a direction to err on the side of safety is advice. Not a bit of this talk is for anything but how you can get jollies for yourselves.  
2016-12-5
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HangTime81 Posted at 2016-12-6 00:29
I would hold that attempting to guide someone in a direction to err on the side of safety is advice. Not a bit of this talk is for anything but how you can get jollies for yourselves.

Hangtime81,

You have stated your opinion on the subject, however wrong you may be, its got nothing to do with the original question ... move along, its not adding anything valuable, you're literally just moaning for the sake of it ... You're opinion, is ... you're opinion, so in that sense, you're right.

Many thanks ...
2016-12-5
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

Guessing none of you see anything lIke this. if anyone would get in trouble  flying at night in front of the ama officials would do it. Guessing I'll be fine.

2016-12-5
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

Copied out of the AMA rule book. The LED lights on the Mavic would qualify with no questions. Very visible at night much more clear that daytime. Google it if you have any questions. You still have to stay under 400'. Have fun

8. RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination
systems are inadequate for night flying operations.
2016-12-5
Use props
robble
lvl.2

United States

HangTime81 Posted at 2016-12-6 06:40

If you are flying a manned aircraft under 400' other than takeoff or landing YOU are the numpty.  You are also breaking actual laws.
2016-12-6
Use props
HangTime81
lvl.1
United States

robble Posted at 2016-12-6 01:02
If you are flying a manned aircraft under 400' other than takeoff or landing YOU are the numpty.  You are also breaking actual laws.

I realize that, I was talking about drones. And that's not the case at all times. I've done multiple helo shoots out the door under 400'. In protected areas, I've even been granted permission for 50'.
2016-12-6
Use props
HangTime81
lvl.1
United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-5 16:40
Hangtime81,

You have stated your opinion on the subject, however wrong you may be, its got nothing to do with the original question ... move along, its not adding anything valuable, you're literally just moaning for the sake of it ... You're opinion, is ... you're opinion, so in that sense, you're right.

Danny B

Yes, I can state my opinion as I please. And move on as I please without direction from you, however unsafe you may be. So I invite you to move on as well. 'Your' opinion is 'your's' also.

Cheers
2016-12-6
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would probably shut the VPS off, it won't do any good and might actually create a problem if it suddenly senses something like a light and freaks out.
2016-12-6
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-7 03:38
I would probably shut the VPS off, it won't do any good and might actually create a problem if it suddenly senses something like a light and freaks out.

How would you land it without the VPS on?
2016-12-6
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Blade Breaker 0 Posted at 2016-12-6 21:00
How would you land it without the VPS on?

Sonar or just normal control should be fine. Im used to landing my qav210 racing quad in rate mode so even atti mode should be fine for landing
2016-12-6
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

Yea I could land it with no help I just thought the AC wouldn't let you. I'll have to try it thanks
2016-12-6
Use props
Justy77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1869469 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HangTime81 Posted at 2016-12-6 09:21
Danny B

Yes, I can state my opinion as I please. And move on as I please without direction from you, however unsafe you may be. So I invite you to move on as well. 'Your' opinion is 'your's' also.

You're an idiot. Nothing but a naysayer. It is perfectly legal for someone to fly a drone to 400ft. It is not ok for manned aircraft to fly below 500ft. You quote safety for the reason yet in reality it's just because your a bit of a d*ck.
2018-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules