Where to put the FAA#
3452 30 2016-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hawkeye54
lvl.2

United States

Where are people sticking their FAA# on their drone? I got mine right away but have yet to put it on. Do you go to Home Depot and buy tiny stic on numbers or what? Sorry for asking a stupid Question.

2016-12-6
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

a label maker works fine, just put it where it looks good to you !, also faa says its ok to put it in the battery compartment also.
2016-12-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

A forum friend in Florida, 3D printed me a nice gimbal guard, and etched my phone number into the unit, during the print job. Awesome...
Rigworker, another local forum friend, used his label maker to print me a few stickers with my phone number and reward.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-6
Use props
Hawkeye54
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-6 18:29
A forum friend in Florida, 3D printed me a nice gimbal guard, and etched my phone number into the unit, during the print job. Awesome...

BTW I got my DJI Backpack today. It fits in my Spyder frunk snugly like it was made for it but just a little too tall. I cannot close the lid.
2016-12-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hawkeye54 Posted at 2016-12-6 17:55
BTW I got my DJI Backpack today. It fits in my Spyder frunk snugly like it was made for it but just a little too tall. I cannot close the lid.

Ah, sorry to hear that, rather sad state of affairs. I kind of figured it wouldn't fit in there completely. Even with your SpYder ST Limited having more room... Mine is a RS-S so my Frunk is slightly smaller than yours would be. Not sure how many litres exactly, it holds?

Well, don't force it, and bust the Frunk plastic hinge housing.
I have never even attempted to place my hardshell backpack upfront. Preferring to wear it, or strap it to the rear passenger hand holds. Just wear it, and be happy that you have two such awesome models. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-6
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

I used a hand written label and put it inside battery compartment behind the sticker there.
2016-12-6
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hawkeye54 Posted at 2016-12-6 14:55

Aloha Hawkeye,

The real low-tech way is to print out a bunch of the numbers on office paper and cut them out with a small border.  Then use the 3/4" 3M Magic Tape to attach it to the Phantom.  My numbers fit perfectly in the middle of the section of the tape.

I put mine under the Phantom label and on the batteries.  Also, I put one inside the battery compartment which the FAA says is OK.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-6
Use props
fansff2e6b4a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 944275 ft
Puerto Rico

In the battery bay looks perfect.
2016-12-7
Use props
Hawkeye54
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-6 19:05
Ah, sorry to hear that, rather sad state of affairs. I kind of figured it wouldn't fit in there completely. Even with your SpYder ST Limited having more room... Mine is a RS-S so my Frunk is slightly smaller than yours would be. Not sure how many liters exactly, it holds?

Well, don't force it, and bust the Frunk plastic hinge housing.

My Spyder has a Corbin Smuggler trunk,I can not wear the backpack unless I switch it out for a regular back seat. I may just try to modify the styrofoam case it came in. All I have to do is shave the corners off some.
2016-12-7
Use props
Hawkeye54
lvl.2

United States

2016-12-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I don't know what to suggest, for your drone carrying ease. Obviously you can't change the seating arrangements.
Maybe the foam box will fit up front then. But that's kind of a waste of that space for you. There must be a better way.
Perhaps you'll need a trailer hitch after all. Haha

Hey bud,  only the second pic in the second post is showing, can you reload them?
Nice colour that... Mine is Neutron Green Metallic Low Gloss - Satin Black.

Oh yeah, you have the comfy seat? Those are 'bad ass'! Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-12-7
Use props
Hawkeye54
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-7 11:09
I don't know what to suggest, for your drone carrying ease. Obviously you can't change the seating arrangements.
Perhaps the foam box will fit up front then. But that's kind of a waste of that space for you. There must be a better way.
Perhaps you'll need a trailer hitch after all. Haha

Well I can still use my soft bags I use on long trips and just pack carefully with bubble wrap. I thought about a trailer but that would take away from the fun of being aggressive on the twisties.
2016-12-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hawkeye54 Posted at 2016-12-7 10:23
Well I can still use my soft bags I use on long trips and just pack carefully with bubble wrap. I thought about a trailer but that would take away from the fun of being aggressive on the twisties.

How much speed and agility do you need? You have the Cadillac version, so just cruise along, smiling all the way. Haha
I know this minor dilemma will surely be frustrating you, with all that carrying capacity, but you can't quite fit your Phantom, the way you desire to. There's gotta be a better way, you must are thinking.
Not enough Frunk room, the comfy seat won't allow you to wear the pack, don't want to have to haul a trailer.
I would consider making a custom rack, to bolt onto the trailer hitch. That's what one friend here did, for carrying golf clubs. so no trouble in paradise, just think outside the box. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2016-12-7
Use props
fans4848d4ba
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5728392 ft
United States

I went down to the local "sticker"shop and had them print up several stickers for me with all the pertinent information.  I put one on each side of my Phantom and one on each battery and one on my rc and so forth.
2016-12-7
Use props
Hawkeye54
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-7 11:35
How much speed and agility do you need? You have the Cadillac version, so just cruise along, smiling all the way. Haha
I know this minor dilemma will surely be frustrating you, with all that carrying capacity, but you can't quite fit your Phantom, the way you desire to. There's gotta be a better way, you must are thinking.
Not enough Frunk room, the comfy seat won't allow you to wear the pack, don't want to have to haul a trailer.

OR just put my P4 in Follow me mode and change batteries every 20 minutes
My Spyder group had a ride scheduled for this weekend to Turner Falls In Oklahoma but its really going to be too cold. I was hoping to get some Drone footage there.
2016-12-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hawkeye54 Posted at 2016-12-7 12:19
OR just put my P4 in Follow me mode and change batteries every 20 minutes
My Spyder group had a ride scheduled for this weekend to Turner Falls In Oklahoma but its really going to be too cold. I was hoping to get some Drone footage there.

Yes, or run an extra long extension cord up... Haha

Too bad about the group rYde, but being cold, for the fun of it, is only good on the ski slopes or ice skating rink... ;-)

There will be other roads to travel, when the sun and weather cooperate more...

As I suggested, build a custom rack for the hitch out back..

RedHotPoker

2016-12-7
Use props
Ethanflux
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450190 ft
  • >>>
United States

I put my # on the side of the landing gear legs.  Also have my tel # .
2016-12-7
Use props
Warnberg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24764 ft
United States

I don't work for or have anything to do with this guy... but this is what I did and I placed them on all batteries..

https://www.phantomhelp.com/FaaRegistrationStickers/
2016-12-8
Use props
Jester
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195016 ft

United States

I placed mine in the battery bay
2016-12-8
Use props
fans6ab5622e
lvl.3
United States

I also used a label maker and also used the label maker to put my address on the drone, just in case it ever fell out of the sky and someone found it.
2016-12-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

metronome Posted at 2016-12-8 20:06
I bought decal paper (clear background not white) and with the laser printer and MS Word and downloadable graphics printed decals, incl. the eagles. The FAA # got wonky as I softened the decal to much. Also put the FAA and "if found" decals on the legs. But this will work till I decide whether or not to get a skin. And the drone went in for stress cracks so was returned w/ no stripes or stickers so I mixed and matched. It is a P3A.

I love would strongly reconsider exposing your whole phone number on a public forum.

But it's your choice.  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-8
Use props
Drac0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 314564 ft
United States

I decided to use a QR Code to provide the information for my P4 if it ever got lost. Most everyone now days has a phone capable of reading QR Codes. Because of the size limitations of my Brother PT-750w lables, I wasn't able to put all my info into one QR code, instead I made a static page on my web server and the QR Code displays the URL.

20161211_152201.jpg 20161211_152220.jpg 20161211_152302.jpg

2016-12-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I've put the FAA# just above the battery compartment on my aircrafts.
2016-12-11
Use props
Somnium
lvl.3
Flight distance : 888819 ft
Sweden

Cetacean Posted at 2016-12-7 08:23
Aloha Hawkeye,

The real low-tech way is to print out a bunch of the numbers on office paper and cut them out with a small border.  Then use the 3/4" 3M Magic Tape to attach it to the Phantom.  My numbers fit perfectly in the middle of the section of the tape.

Is it strong requirement of FAA to have registration or just for your calmness?
If I will have visit to USA can I fly there without registration?
So here it is easier. We don't need to have any registration... For the present. But our  government like to make our life more difficult and they always talk "as in Europe", "same as in US" etc...
So may be they will do something like FAA soon
2016-12-11
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Somnium Posted at 2016-12-11 20:51
Is it strong requirement of FAA to have registration or just for your calmness?
If I will have visit to USA can I fly there without registration?
So here it is easier. We don't need to have any registration... For the present. But our  government like to make our life more difficult and they always talk "as in Europe", "same as in US" etc...

Aloha Somnium,

That is interesting because decades ago, the US used to say how things were done in the USSR!  None of it is ever right.  You will have to check in with the FAA prior to your arrival in the US.  They will provide you with an authorization number.  

We have a good system of accountability for our airspace in general.  But we also have pilots who disregard regulations and fly outside their flight restrictions.  Where I live and fly my P3P and P4, tour helicopters regularly fly outside their flight restrictions.  I have purchased strobe lights for my Phantoms to give them warning of my presence.  Hopefully, they will start to follow the rules when they get out in the "country" where I live and fly.

People generally do not think bad things can happen to them - until it does!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-11
Use props
Somnium
lvl.3
Kazakhstan

Cetacean Posted at 2016-12-12 15:41
Aloha Somnium,

That is interesting because decades ago, the US used to say how things were done in the USSR!  None of it is ever right.  You will have to check in with the FAA prior to your arrival in the US.  They will provide you with an authorization number.  

Sometimes it seems like people in government just don't want to think a bit. They often make just stupid things... For example is new law killing flying unmanned aircrafts in Europe, that they want to publish...
2016-12-13
Use props
Somnium
lvl.3
Kazakhstan

Drac0 Posted at 2016-12-12 08:27
I decided to use a QR Code to provide the information for my P4 if it ever got lost. Most everyone now days has a phone capable of reading QR Codes. Because of the size limitations of my Brother PT-750w lables, I wasn't able to put all my info into one QR code, instead I made a static page on my web server and the QR Code displays the URL.

[view_image][view_image][view_image]

Looks nice! But if any grandma will found drone with QR in her garden... What will she do? Throw this crazy bird away?))

In Russia AviaAgency wants to register all drones over 250 grams from next year. And they want use RFID on the every drone and check points in some places. So when drone fly near this antennas they can know who is pilot... Awful.
Glad, that here in Kazakhstan we don't have any restrictions. For the present...
And as I hear that in Romania people should register all drones for 90€ and should notice agency about every flight.
2016-12-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Somnium Posted at 2016-12-13 06:33
Sometimes it seems like people in government just don't want to think a bit. They often make just stupid things... For example is new law killing flying unmanned aircrafts in Europe, that they want to publish...

Aloha Somnium,

On the other hand, sometimes there is a method to their maddness.  Our FAA rules were required by Congress to handle the enormous increase in drones flying in US airspace.  The FAA did a very good job working drones into the US airspace and what we have is very reasonable to most pilots.  (Of course the Airline Pilots Association thinks it is terrible but that is probably due to their high stress flying environment near airports.)

But, Congress took forever to approve the FAA recommendations that eventually became Part 107.  The micro drones like we fly still have to be regulated.  Right now we are lumped in with the Inspire and larger drones.  The registration of drones is not a bad thing since it does set things up for accountability.  In airspace accountability increases safety a lot.  Drones under .55 pounds do not have to be registered.  

Do be aware that US Federal Parks have a standing ban on drones.  You cannot have a drone in your car when entering a Federal Park.  But, the park rangers cannot stop you from flying into the park airspace from a launch site outside of the park unless there is a flight restriction put in place by the FAA for some other reason.  You should download the "B4 U Fly" app from the FAA before you get here.  The app will let you know what areas are restricted or temporarily restricted.

What you are saying about a drone ban in Europe is troublesome, but just proposing regulation does not make it a law.  There is a process that needs to be completed before any proposal becomes law.  Due to the airspace problems with terrorism, having local bans under certain terrorism level requirements could be very reasonable and supported by the vast number of citizens.  But, a blanket ban will face a lot of resistance from business, hobbyists and flying hobbyist citizens.  Even here in the US, states are allowed to regulate a drone's access to airspace but not the airspace itself.  Here in Hawai'i, there will be a 10 mile radius ban on all flights around where the US President Obama and Japanese Prime Minister Abe will be in the next week or two.  So the FAA can put bans in place according to need.

The funny thing about your post is that much of what you said would be actually funny if it was not so serious.  It is the legislators who put very little thought into the consequences of their proposals.  Fortunately 90% of their proposals die on the parliament floor or under a committee table.  But, bureaucrats do put a lot of thought into consequences and much of what they come up with does make sense.  So, there is hope!  Keep your fingers crossed!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-13
Use props
Drac0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 314564 ft
United States

Somnium Posted at 2016-12-13 08:44
Looks nice! But if any grandma will found drone with QR in her garden... What will she do? Throw this crazy bird away?))

In Russia AviaAgency wants to register all drones over 250 grams from next year. And they want use RFID on the every drone and check points in some places. So when drone fly near this antennas they can know who is pilot... Awful.

I have one sticker with my address and phone number, but if that crazy grandma found my P4, and didn't have reading glasses, well, I'm in the same position!

With the QR code to my URL, I can always update that information. Hell, I could even set up a shipping label perhaps. The possibilities are limitless of the information I can provide, given it's ever used.

Also, I've set up my script on that page to at least capture the IP Address and get the Geo location of where the visitor to that page came from. Since it's pretty much a hidden page, really the only chance of it getting visited is by scanning that QR code, I'd know if someone found my P4 at least. It doesn't mean I'd get it back, but I'd know it was found.
2016-12-13
Use props
Somnium
lvl.3
Sweden

Drac0 Posted at 2016-12-14 00:30
I have one sticker with my address and phone number, but if that crazy grandma found my P4, and didn't have reading glasses, well, I'm in the same position!

With the QR code to my URL, I can always update that information. Hell, I could even set up a shipping label perhaps. The possibilities are limitless of the information I can provide, given it's ever used.

Wow! You are very foresighted! ))) Several variants and even spy ip logger) Great!
2016-12-13
Use props
colcord8
lvl.1

United States

I just went ahead and printed it using a label maker and stuck in in the very back of the battery compartment
2016-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules