Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all,
Just thought I'd share my first paid OSMO gig.  A mannequin challenge at a senior center.  The residents and staff were awesome and they put a lot of work into getting this going.  Because of logistics (and the advanced age of many of the residents, we couldn't shoot the entire thing as a single take (mostly because the building we shot in was just too large), but this is a really fun video.  Enjoy.

2016-12-7
Use props
fans90c13814
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Creepy. Unpleasant. Weird.
2016-12-7
Use props
Osmo_M_jalexart
lvl.2
United States

Nice work. Cool dude. It looks like you put a lot into the project. I trust the participants like the vid. Thanks for sharing!
2016-12-7
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans90c13814 Posted at 2016-12-7 11:27
Creepy. Unpleasant. Weird.

Heh... fans... why creepy, unpleasant, and weird?  Have you never seen a Mannequin Challenge video or is it just weird to you because of the old people?
2016-12-7
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Osmo_M_jalexart Posted at 2016-12-7 12:19
Nice work. Cool dude. It looks like you put a lot into the project. I trust the participants like the vid. Thanks for sharing!

Hi M-Jal.  Thanks for the compliment.  I was only on location for just under two hours.  The residents and staff were all prepared with props and tasks.  I got the OSMO ready, did a walk-through to check it all out.  I pre-conceived where I would have to make cuts so I could shoot with those cuts in mind, then we went like crazy.  It took a lot longer to edit the video because it wasn't a single shot, so I took a bit of a hit in terms of hourly rate in the edit... but overall was a great experience and a lot of fun.
2016-12-7
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Really cool and funny. A couple of wobbly glasses being held apart from that seamless. Did they all start moving again after you finished, how many fell asleep

How did you do the beer bottle prop?
2016-12-7
Use props
pllphoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is awesome! I love seeing these. I did one for a gym near where I live, and it was with the OSMO and it turned out great!!
2016-12-7
Use props
Mauro Pagliai
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35365551 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Great work! Very creative and fun!
2016-12-7
Use props
T3rdEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221844 ft
United States

Very impressive.  I too would like to know how you videoed the beer pour and the pouring paint?
2016-12-7
Use props
Osmo_M_jalexart
lvl.2
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-12-7 13:32
Hi M-Jal.  Thanks for the compliment.  I was only on location for just under two hours.  The residents and staff were all prepared with props and tasks.  I got the OSMO ready, did a walk-through to check it all out.  I pre-conceived where I would have to make cuts so I could shoot with those cuts in mind, then we went like crazy.  It took a lot longer to edit the video because it wasn't a single shot, so I took a bit of a hit in terms of hourly rate in the edit... but overall was a great experience and a lot of fun.

Thanks! Now, if I could just give it a 5-Star rating. I have viewed it several times. It is entertaining & funny...
2016-12-7
Use props
FLYCAMNZ
New

New Zealand

brilliantly filmed. love the way you change speeds between areas
2016-12-7
Use props
fansae63899d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361188 ft
United States

Amazing work!! WOW
2016-12-7
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for sharing, very nice video.
2016-12-7
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow that's an AWESOME video!! Well done mate, I wish I was half as good.
2016-12-8
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You've got me feverishly planning on doing something like this at work (I work in an A+E dept in the UK)....
2016-12-8
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

That is fantastic....! How was it done?? I don't believe that you got so many people to sit rock solid still like that..... or is that a stupid comment??
And great music choice too...
2016-12-8
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great job by all.
2016-12-8
Use props
fansbcf5920c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204610 ft
United Kingdom

Im thinking that place looks like an awsome place to live !
2016-12-8
Use props
superdodoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118422 ft
United States

Awesome. Great work.
2016-12-8
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi all, thanks for the comments.... a couple of answers...
1) The residents age ranges from about 70 to 102.  Considering how much they shake in general, they did a great job.  I had to use tricks throughout the shoot to minimize the talent shake and blinking.  Then there are several times where I used a quick speedup, or post production zoom, or creative cuts to remove someone blinking or eyes on the camera.  (Regardless of how much some of the people tried, bless their hearts, they couldn't remember what to do for long).  But overall, I think they did a great job.  The biggest problem with the location was that it was an active residence and there were a lot of people walking around in the background.  There are many shots with people in motion in the background, but I edited the video at 720P, so I was able to crop/zoom etc from the original footage to cut people out.

2) The pouring beer and the spilling paint were all built ahead of time.  For the beer it was basically tinted plastic wrap that hung from the bottle into the glass... same with the "spilled" paint being a flexible tube, covered with paint (I wish they had chosen a higher contrast color was my only criticism).  In the bar I had the client find a still image of football being played and we got that on the TV screen so it was frozen too.

3) This was my first time using the OSMO outside of my house.  I had only used it a few times just running circles around my living room.  The most difficult part of the shoot (on the technical side) was exposure.  I shot completely manually in terms of shutter and ISO.  I locked the ISO to 800 (because the footage from this camera is way too grainy at higher ISO), and if needed, adjusted the shutter speed to get exposure.  I was often able to get a good exposure by slowing down the ISO too.  Except for saturation and sharpening (since I shot LOG) I didn't do ANY post production work on color and exposure because client didn't want the video to look too polished, they wanted it to look a bit home-made, like so many other mannequin challenges that have been posted.  So you are basically seeing the exposure right from the camera.

4) The most difficult challenge I faced as far as a viewing experience goes was learning how to pan the camera without making the viewer feel nauseated.  This is something I think is important for OSMO: Lets say you need to pan the camera 180 degrees during a shot.  Rather than having you be the pivot point and spin your body with the camera at the end of your arm, envision the camera as the pivot point and walk yourself around the camera, keeping the camera in the same spot.  To me, this makes the turns much more palatable and less likely to make the viewer vomit.  Also seems to work better with the Gimbal itself.

5) The other thing I did (to try to help move the story along) was applying sporadic fast motion in post production, almost always starting or stopping the speed change directly on the beat of the music. The location was too large and there was too much setup in each room to shoot a continuous take.  I REALLY wanted to do the whole thing in one take, but that wasn't going to happen.  I did shoot through some of the longer halls, so I sped those up.  The speed-ups also helped to cloak problems with the talent in the hallways or rooms.

6) The first thing I did after arriving to the shoot was try to figure out what to do with the beginning and end.  The client had not considered this part at all.  When I saw the piano, the idea came to me to have that be the start and end, with the only live action in the video being the kiss. I thought that ended up being really cute.

7) And the final thing that I considered in editing... again, in an effort to keep the viewer from feeling nauseated... I thought about ballet dancers... when they spin at high speed, they don't just keep their heads at the same speed as their bodies.  If they did, they would get sick.  Instead, as they spin they focus their face on a spot and through about 75% of their spin, they keep their face pointed at that spot while their bodies turn underneath.. then they snap their heads around and as quickly as possible get back to seeing that focal point.  This way their heads only spin for a moment at a time.  I tried to apply that same thought in post production, when I did have to do a spin or a long pan, I usually sped it up quite a bit so it didn't last long.

2016-12-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's very well done, thank you for sharing!
2016-12-8
Use props
MkKTgpZQFdOO
New
United States

What frame rate did you shoot at?
Love to here more about the process.

Looks Great!
2016-12-8
Use props
Paniza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

Very cool. Looks like a ton of work.
2016-12-8
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

Wow I loved it!!!

Perhaps fans90c13814 needs to volunteer an hour or two at an old folks home to gather a better grip on life and old age.
2016-12-8
Use props
GKMAF
lvl.1
Switzerland

Good job! Did you use the 4K mode?
2016-12-9
Use props
Troubleshooter
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

you did a extremely good job! i am impressed
2016-12-9
Use props
FuZZyPiLOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1353215 ft
Belgium

One of the best ones i have seen, fair play to the OAP's for doing a great job staying still.

2016-12-9
Use props
Rickyyu
New

United States

that is so cool!can I ask what kind of software you use or how are you doing this?
2016-12-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's really cool, you should post that all over social media and make it go viral.
Only error I saw is the person walking across the 2nd floor in the last shot.
I bet they all got a kick out of watching that. I hope they use that for a promo video showing how fun it is to live there. Can I send my parents
2016-12-9
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-9 23:04
That's really cool, you should post that all over social media and make it go viral.
Only error I saw is the person walking across the 2nd floor in the last shot.
I bet they all got a kick out of watching that. I hope they use that for a promo video showing how fun it is to live there. Can I send my parents

Hi Ken.... good eye.  I edited the entire video, watched it probably 30 times and still didn't see the person on the second floor (in the background) until after I sent the video to the client and posted it.

Thanks!
2016-12-10
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

More Answers to your questions...
1) I shot 1920 x 1080.  ONLY because I knew I was editing at 720 AND because I didn't have much experience shooting 4k with this camera.  Knowing that the on-board processor for the camera is probably getting hammered at 4k, I decided to play it safe and shoot 1080P to avoid any problems with jaggies or stuttering since I knew I was going to be shooting up-close and personal with a lot of faster moves and pans.
2) I shot at 29.97 fps.  24 fps would be to jittery with all the moderate to fast pans.
3) I edited the video on my Mac laptop using Final Cut Pro X.
4) The music was not the typical Mannequin Challenge song, but from what I understand, the artist of that song started charging licensing fees and since my client was going to use this video publicly, they asked me to not use the song.  They supplied a few examples of songs that they thought would be a good direction for the music, and one of the songs I liked so much, I asked if I could just use it.  So I bought the stock music song for $49.
5) The client is trying to get that song to go viral... more than 15,000 views so far and seems to be picking up speed.
2016-12-10
Use props
fans0728b080
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Fantastic.   You should be really proud of what you have created.
2016-12-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-12-10 11:08
Hi Ken.... good eye.  I edited the entire video, watched it probably 30 times and still didn't see the person on the second floor (in the background) until after I sent the video to the client and posted it.

Thanks!

No problem, Im my old career I was paid to notice things that didn't look right. It's kinda a problem now as I'm always correcting my friends and family.But still, you gotta make that video go viral, it's really awesome and especially that the elderly people were so great.
2016-12-10
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-12-11 02:14
More Answers to your questions...
1) I shot 1920 x 1080.  ONLY because I knew I was editing at 720 AND because I didn't have much experience shooting 4k with this camera.  Knowing that the on-board processor for the camera is probably getting hammered at 4k, I decided to play it safe and shoot 1080P to avoid any problems with jaggies or stuttering since I knew I was going to be shooting up-close and personal with a lot of faster moves and pans.
2) I shot at 29.97 fps.  24 fps would be to jittery with all the moderate to fast pans.

Could you let us know where to get that music?? I tried Shazam, SoundHound.... everything!

Now know what Mannequin Challenge is about.... I'd never heard of it but it's cool and yours is about the coolest I've seen so far.
2016-12-11
Use props
shayward
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104163 ft
Canada

Good creativity, and amazing cooperation. Kudos to all of you involved!
2016-12-11
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi Salty,

That song is called "Rule the world" and it comes from premiumbeat.com

Thanks for the compliments guys!
2016-12-12
Use props
fans6fc3afa0
New

El Salvador

Hola buenas soy Francisco tengo unprobleme con mi dji advanced que dejó de funcionar y quedó con un pitido
2016-12-12
Use props
fans6fc3afa0
New

El Salvador

Lo lleve donde lo compre y no me resuelven ya  tengo varios meses y nada que puedo ser al respecto
2016-12-12
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

Awesome! Kudos to the folks in the video!
2016-12-12
Use props
Ey1990
lvl.2
China

this is sooooooooooooooooo awesome..properly the most creative video i saw in the DJI forum
2016-12-12
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules