Can't get map to load
3615 16 2016-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marvzz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23835 ft
United States

I guess this question might be directed more towards Android users, since we can't use Data and Wifi at the same time. How do you guys get your maps to load? When I fly in my city, I don't have a problem getting my maps to load in the Go app. I do have my area saved offline in Google Maps. But whenever I fly outside of my city, I can never get the map go load. I've tried starting the GO app before I connect my Phantom, but still nothing. I get good GPS signal and it locks a home point, but I have no map to view. Am I doing something wrong?
2016-12-8
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

1st, do you have map caching turned on?
(older version of GO App)

2016-12-8
Use props
marvzz
lvl.3
United States

I'm pretty sure I do, but I'll have to check when I get home.
2016-12-8
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

marvzz Posted at 2016-12-8 15:56
I'm pretty sure I do, but I'll have to check when I get home.

Since you have Android and not IOS the above post will not be of help, that's for IOS only. Android is on by default. You have to open up the Go app when at home and on wifi then go to the area you intend to fly at within the app and the maps download. Some devices need to be left on to hold this in it's memory, and sometime it can be power cycled.
2016-12-8
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-8 16:31
Since you have Android and not IOS the above post will not be of help, that's for IOS only. Android is on by default. You have to open up the Go app when at home and on wifi then go to the area you intend to fly at within the app and the maps download. Some devices need to be left on to hold this in it's memory, and sometime it can be power cycled.

Thank you WilliamM,
    As you note, I used iOS more than Android, which does NOT have the Cache in Background configuration.

Sorry Marvzz,
    Please disregard my post and take WilliamM's guidance!

Correct Android GO App screenshot:
Screenshot_2016-12-08-18-24-10 (2).png
2016-12-8
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Daroga Posted at 2016-12-9 10:39
Thank you WilliamM,
    As you note, I used iOS more than Android, which does NOT have the Cache in Background configuration.

Some options don't show up unless you are connected to the powered-up aircraft.
2016-12-8
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-12-8 19:04
Some options don't show up unless you are connected to the powered-up aircraft.

Thanks, you are absolutely correct!

With the Android version of the DJI GO App, most settings don't show up unless the Phantom is powered-on. The above screen shot was taken with the P3 powered-on. I forgot that the background cache was an iOS only setting as WilliamM pointed out.
2016-12-8
Use props
marvzz
lvl.3
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-8 15:31

So I'd need to pre-load the maps over wifi and keep the app open? Is that the only way to do it? It can't save offline version like Google maps?

What about trying to load maps on site? I've had my data on and try to load the map before connecting to my Phantom, but I haven't been able to do it that way either.
2016-12-9
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1115095 ft
United States

marvzz Posted at 2016-12-10 01:10
So I'd need to pre-load the maps over wifi and keep the app open? Is that the only way to do it? It can't save offline version like Google maps?

What about trying to load maps on site? I've had my data on and try to load the map before connecting to my Phantom, but I haven't been able to do it that way either.

You do not need to keep the app open. Once you load the map, it will always be there. I have tons of them on my phone.
2016-12-9
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

marvzz Posted at 2016-12-9 12:10

As for keeping the app open. It's not so much keeping the app loaded as it is keeping the device powered up. But this does depend in your device. I have power cycled my device and had the maps still there, and sometime their gone. So just experiment. With loading maps on site, if your device has cell data service than it should be the same way. You would need to download the map on cell data, then switch over to the drone's wifi to fly.
2016-12-9
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

Makokiller Posted at 2016-12-9 13:04
You do not need to keep the app open. Once you load the map, it will always be there. I have tons of them on my phone.

Not true on all devices, I have power cycled my device and had the maps still there, and sometime their gone. At least on a Android device.
2016-12-9
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.2
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-10 03:52
Not true on all devices, I have power cycled my device and had the maps still there, and sometime their gone. At least on a Android device.

I have maps from 6 months ago on my note 4 edge. Not sure about your phone, but they never go away on mine.
2016-12-9
Use props
marvzz
lvl.3
United States

Makokiller Posted at 2016-12-9 12:04

So I just need to open the app and scroll the map over the area I want to fly? If that's it, it would be nice because I have an extra phone without a cell plan that I could probably dedicate to the Phantom.
2016-12-9
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.2
United States

marvzz Posted at 2016-12-10 04:06
So I just need to open the app and scroll the map over the area I want to fly? If that's it, it would be nice because I have an extra phone without a cell plan that I could probably dedicate to the Phantom.

Sorry, I thought you were using the Litchi app.
2016-12-9
Use props
frixster_75
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45541 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same trouble on my new Samsung Android tablet. I had to delete Googleplay services on it first. Then you have to cache the maps on wifi at home (for where you are flying) and then it will store it for when you go outdoors without an internet connection. I have a tethering contract too so thats always handy to re-download the maps outdoors using my personal hotspot.
2016-12-10
Use props
marvzz
lvl.3
United States

frixster_75 Posted at 2016-12-10 14:20
I had the same trouble on my new Samsung Android tablet. I had to delete Googleplay services on it first. Then you have to cache the maps on wifi at home (for where you are flying) and then it will store it for when you go outdoors without an internet connection. I have a tethering contract too so thats always handy to re-download the maps outdoors using my personal hotspot.

Do you just cache the maps in the Go app? Open the app then just let scroll and let the maps load?
2016-12-12
Use props
frixster_75
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45541 ft
United Kingdom

marvzz Posted at 2016-12-12 07:38
Do you just cache the maps in the Go app? Open the app then just let scroll and let the maps load?

Yes. At home, just bring the maps up and cache them, and that's it. Should then store them and should load as normal when outdoors.
2017-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules