Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video Quality Issues - Ghosting & Line-Skipping
2501 11 2016-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chico92
lvl.2
Flight distance : 584186 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hello everyone,

i'd like to share this with you guys, hoping that DJI's R&D-section pays attention to these things. As you may know, there are a few different issues with the newly released Phantom 4 Pro. In this case, i only want to go into the video related ones.

1. 4K @ /48/50/60 Frames per Second isn't real 4K. I bet some of you already heard about that. You can look this up over at the phantompilots board. There you go. So, 4K @ /24/25/30 Frames per second is all fine. Full Sensor Readout, great quality. However, in the new 48/50/60p-Modes, the sensor uses Line-Skipping, which results in cutting the vertical resolution in half. You can see the difference in quality in the comparison shots over at phantompilots. In my opinion, DJI promotes something which isn't a 100% true.

2. There seems to be a problem regarding the Ambarella SoC. If you use very fast shutter speeds in video, for example anything higher than 1/250 which eliminates most of the motion blur, there is a lot of ghosting occuring, especially in the parts of the image which are high contrast. Ghosting occurs also at more used shutterspeeds such aus 1/60, 1/125 and so on, but in this case it depends how you are flying. It appears if you're going rather slow near the ground, or even when you're going at faster speeds in higher altitudes. This results in a huge drop in image quality, since the image get's really blury and unsharp. This is clearly not due to a broken device or an individual case. I tested this with a few other people and the problem is present on every single device.

I attached a screengrab from the original videofile, where you can clearly see the ghosting-effect. You can test this by yourself, just print out a cross on a white paper and stick it to a wall. Then adjust your shutter speed to something higher than 1/250 to make sure that it's not motion blur that you see. Then place your drone on a swivel chair, a video-tripod or anything you can use to pan your device while the camera faces the sheet of paper. If you'd like to see this tested this under more real conditions, download this video-file.

I'd really appreciate it, if this would be forwarded to the R&D-section and not be treated as an RMA- or support-case. It's not.

PS: I don't have the option to place this in the Phantom 4 Pro subboard, maybe somebody can help me with this.
dji-p4p-ghosting.jpg
2016-12-9
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2166962 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Yes, I can confirm this issue. I also did this test and the ghosting effect is clearly visible, details appear several times in reduced intensity if the copter/camera is panned while filming. This also may lead to mushy/fuzzy/unsharp fine detail in flight scenes. If the copter is steady resolution and sharpness is great. If it moves details become fuzzy.

P4 Pro ghosting

P4 Pro ghosting
2016-12-9
Use props
Sofame23
New

Germany

Hi There,

I also have the same issue !

See here:

This was recorded with 4K - 60 FPS and 1:120 shutterspeed.
2016-12-20
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Wonder if the Inspire 2 with the camera processor in the nose for the X5S camera and the need for a faster storage SSD card scans and stores the image data faster without the line skipping of the P4 Pro?  Maybe explains the $1,000 cinema licensing cost for that?  There has to be a difference and why they tout a 5K+ in that setup.

2016-12-20
Use props
Helioff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1167664 ft
Germany

In the first video recording with my new P4Pro I immediately noticed this ghost effect. When the video is still, the picture is very sharp. When you pan, the image immediately becomes bad. I look at my videos on an IMac 5K. On my old P4 I have not observed such an effect any more.

2016-12-20
Use props
chico92
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

I hope DJI pays attention to this and forwards this to the R&D-section. There probably the only people who can give us a serious answer to this. Hopefully, they're able to solve this issue with a firmware update. But even if not, i'd really appreciate it to get some more in-depth knowledge about this, for example if it's hardwired, or not.
2016-12-21
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2166962 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Any news on this, is there a solution in work?!
2016-12-27
Use props
chico92
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

I'm afraid not, as you can see none of the DJI-staff is paying attention to this.
2016-12-29
Use props
Troubleshooter
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I cant understand why this goes Ignored
2017-4-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Troubleshooter Posted at 2017-4-19 16:47
I cant understand why this goes Ignored

I can, DJI do not have R&D staff participating in this forum, so you will not see any reply from them. And issues such as this are rarely commented on by any DJI support staff.
2017-4-19
Use props
Troubleshooter
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Yeah......i think im just gonna sell my x5 and just get a GH5" on a TvCame Stabilizer ,
2017-4-19
Use props
fans8c7677ba
New
Flight distance : 113094 ft

France

My Phantom 3 Pro exhibits the same ghosting.
2017-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules