Connection Lost Mid Flight After Updating to V01.03.000
1289 16 2016-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Strength
lvl.4
United States

I receieved my Mavic Monday, 2 days earlier than the delivery estimate, and updated to V01.02. I flew it today for just under 20 minutes on the first battery; it flew like a dream. The responsiveness was unlike any other, and it tore through wind like it was nothing. The most stable flying machine I've ever tried. I tested a RTH when the battery got low, which also executed flawlessly.
I swapped in a second battery and was prompted to update to V01.03, which I proceeded to do. Restarted the Mavic and the RC as prompted to do so. Took off again and zipped around without any issues, just like on the first battery. Confident in the drone preformance and my ability to control it, I walked/flew the drone back the half mile hike to my car.

Half way back, the controller vibrated and indicated the Connection was lost. The Mavic hovered stationary for a moment while I relized what was coming next. The drone triggered an RTH, which was set to a safe hieght, except at that moment the Mavic was under a tree branch. After a brief moment, the Mavic took off like a rocket, straight up into the branch. I saw it comming and was able to catch the drone on the way back down, but was thanked with a pretty mangled hand.

The Mavic appears fine, with the exception of two broken props. The root cuase of this problem was the Connection Loss. The Contoller had the Antennea oriented properly, and was less than 10 feet away. There were no buildings or metal near by, I was in the woods by the coast. With a 4.3 mile range, connection issues inside of 20 feet feels a little unacceptable. The Mavic behaved as it should have when it lost signal with the Controller, and I shouldn't have opperated under an obsticle, but there was no reason to expect signal issues that at any time could trigger an RTH. It didn't even seem like there was enough time to re-establish a connection to the RC before the RTH started executing.

I believe you need confidence in your gear when its capable of injury others or yourself, and this incedent has shaken mine. It flies so well, but if it can trigger an RTH at anytime, it loses some useability. Has anyone else had a Connection Lost after updateing to V01.03? My hand hurts quite badly, I'm hoping that we're on the same page that this sort of behavior isn't normal.
20161209_145851_resized_1.jpg
2016-12-9
Use props
DaveAus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100807 ft
Australia

Just read this whilst updating mine
Hope the same doesn't happen to me. Be short test flights in big open spaces lol
2016-12-9
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

were you facing the mavic when it lost connection or were you facing away from it?  Im just trying to figure out what may have caused the disconnection.  
2016-12-9
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

You know there are factors that could interrupt connection you can't see ?
  Why try to catch an object with spinning props on it ...  The drone isn't dangerous... You are.

Haha your hand hurts quite badley.... And your hand is mangled??? Lol ... Well i hope you can still hold your handbag.

Drone worked perfectly and acted as it is meant to.... Inexperienced pilot...
2016-12-9
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-10 00:13
  Why try to catch an object with spinning props on it ...  The drone isn't dangerous... You are.

Losing connection at 10 feet is 'working perfectly' in your world.
2016-12-9
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I hope if that happens to me, I can quickly kill the motors and let it drop before hitting the tree. Hopefully there would be no damage to the Mavic.
2016-12-9
Use props
Dgonz0289
lvl.1
United States

Under the settings you can change how the drone reacts to a connection loss with the remote. I set mine to "hover" in the event of a connection loss so to avoid what happened here and given the fact that i inted to be using mine around water, I also want to avoid it trying to land where my boat once was or heading off into the distance in the direction it originally took off from. Also, you can set the remote as the home point AND control how high the drone would loft off to before heading back towards home. Granted, this is something that shouldn't have happened and I admit I get scared every time I fly mine that this doesn't happen, but, thats why I go through my settings pre-flight and check that they are what I want them to be in the event this happens to me.
Side note, we also have the ability to kill the motors mid-flight should we have to make an emergency crash landing. It's just hard to react so fast sometimes when you're trying to really process what is going on and how to remedy it.
2016-12-9
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.2

United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-9 18:13

Well aren't you just a pleasant person...
2016-12-9
Use props
Strength
lvl.4
United States

Visualkaos Posted at 2016-12-10 06:28
were you facing the mavic when it lost connection or were you facing away from it?  Im just trying to figure out what may have caused the disconnection.

I was facing the drone, walking behind it 10-15 feet when it lost connection. I hadn't had any other connection issue, including flying out in an open space a few hundred feet away.

Also to note, the connection loss was sudden, once it started indicating, I was doing all that I could to land or abort RTH. Thank you for the suggestion about the response to a lost remote connection, I will be making the change on mine to hover since my flights are close range. I can see changing back to RTH on the more rare long trips.

The picture I included doesn't show the blood blisters on the inside of my fingers; those hurt worse than what shows. I didn't reach out when it was leaving for RTH, only to catch it on its decent from the tree. Drone beats Human every time, saved the drone and $79. :-/
2016-12-9
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-12-10 02:01
I hope if that happens to me, I can quickly kill the motors and let it drop before hitting the tree. Hopefully there would be no damage to the Mavic.

Haha. When you lost connection? :p
2016-12-9
Use props
coleputt
lvl.1
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-9 16:13

Everyone backup. We have an armchair expert over here who was clearly there with the pilot at the time of the flight. Lets get him a badge, he knows it all.
2016-12-9
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Australia

coleputt Posted at 2016-12-10 12:22
Everyone backup. We have an armchair expert over here who was clearly there with the pilot at the time of the flight. Lets get him a badge, he knows it all.

Any update on my badge ? Thx
2016-12-9
Use props
coleputt
lvl.1
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-9 20:40
Any update on my badge ? Thx

Encountering delays due to an unprecedented demand and will try to ship within the next 7 - 8 weeks. Thx.
2016-12-9
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Australia

What if i cry and moan and demand my badge is delivered early ? I really don't care if i skip the que... Im selfish like that.
2016-12-9
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-10 13:02
What if i cry and moan and demand my badge is delivered early ? I really don't care if i skip the que... Im selfish like that.

Return to your cave please.

2016-12-9
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Australia

MacIak Posted at 2016-12-10 15:19
Return to your cave please.

Sure thing .. ill be sure to drop some scraps into your hole on the way past.
2016-12-10
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Nees Posted at 2016-12-9 22:24
Haha. When you lost connection? :p

Yea, I forgot about that. Would be very hard, (impossible) to kill the motors when you have no connection. Thanks for showing me my mistake.
2016-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules