2257 9 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4b25c816
lvl.1
Flight distance : 822073 ft
United States

Hello,

I received my Phantom 4 Drone on Nov 17. and have flown it 6 times using the DJI Go app.  4 Additional times I have used DroneDeploy to fly my drone to practice mapping different areas for a business I am starting.

Today I was attempting to correct the recurring white balance issue with DroneDeploy and was test flying my drone in a swampy conservation area behind my house while using the DroneDeploy app.  After 3 mins and 18 secs and at 331 ft, the drone simply tumbled straight to the ground.  As it was falling, I could hear the motors and the camera was still working because I could see the terrifying images that you see in all those drone crash videos!  So, that ruled out the possibility that the battery came out mid-flight.  

I suspected this was a possibility since when I found the drone after mucking around in knee deep, Florida swamp water for about 30 mins, the battery was no where to be seen.  It must have been ejected once it began hitting the cypress trees and landed in the water.

When I finally found the drone, one blade of one prop was broken and was lying within a foot of the drone (ruling out a bird strike!).  I would imagine the prop would have fallen much further away if it had hit something mid-air.

The only other damage is still in question because it was half underwater, including the camera, when I found it.  I have it drying in a plastic bag with Damp-rid as I type this.  But the damp-rid is not in contact with any of the metal components.  It is in its container beside the drone.

What's my next step?  I will contact service on the phone ASAP when they open.  How do I go about uploading my flight logs if DroneDeploy was flying my drone?

What else could have happened?

Thank you.
2016-12-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Really sorry to hear about the crash.
Since you are not using DJI GO APP, we'll not able to help you analyze the flight records.
While if the flight data was not damaged, then we can help you analyze it. If the damage caused by the third-party APP, it will not be covered by warranty.
You can check the detail here: http://www.dji.com/service/policy
T.png
2016-12-10
Use props
RayRod72
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-11 01:50
Really sorry to hear about the crash.
Since you are not using DJI GO APP, we'll not able to help you analyze the flight records.
While if the flight data was not damaged, then we can help you analyze it. If the damage caused by the third-party APP, it will not be covered by warranty.

Thank you Natalia.  

What if I was able to supply the flight log from DroneDeploy?  Would you be able to analyze this?

And if the crash was caused by malfunction of the drone itself, would that be covered by warranty?

If I am able to extract the DD flight log, where should I send it?
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RayRod72 Posted at 2016-12-12 04:24
Thank you Natalia.  

What if I was able to supply the flight log from DroneDeploy?  Would you be able to analyze this?

Sorry that we are not able to analyze the flight records from DroneDeploy.
If the flight data is complete without damage, then we'll help you analyze it. If the crash was caused by aircraft faulty depends on data analysis, then it'll be covered by warranty since your aircraft is still within the warranty period.

Please send an e-mail with the subject "Forum Support" to support@dji.com and include the following information, we'll create a case for you:
SN:
Brief Description of your Issue:
Full Name:
Email Address:
Phone Number:
Shipping Address:
Zip Code:
Link to your case on Forum:
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

RayRod72 Posted at 2016-12-12 04:24
Thank you Natalia.  

The flight long from DroneDeploy cannot be analyzed by us, since it's a 3rd party app. What Natalia was referring to was the flight data that's housed within the aircraft itself. In order to have the .DAT files properly evaluated, it would be best to have the unit sent in for evaluation and service.
2016-12-11
Use props
RayRod72
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-11 21:28
The flight long from DroneDeploy cannot be analyzed by us, since it's a 3rd party app. What Natalia was referring to was the flight data that's housed within the aircraft itself. In order to have the .DAT files properly evaluated, it would be best to have the unit sent in for evaluation and service.

So should I bother sending the DroneDeploy log or should I just send the unit to your company?

Can I attempt to see if the unit still flies when I feel it is sufficiently dried out?
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RayRod72 Posted at 2016-12-12 12:00
So should I bother sending the DroneDeploy log or should I just send the unit to your company?

Can I attempt to see if the unit still flies when I feel it is sufficiently dried out?

You just need send the aircraft in to our service center.
It's not recommended to fly it since the performance cannot be guaranteed after crash.
2016-12-12
Use props
RayRod72
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-12 06:44
You just need send the aircraft in to our service center.
It's not recommended to fly it since the performance cannot be guaranteed after crash.

Thank you Natalia.

Can I possibly just send the .DAT files of the flight log from the flight/crash for you to analyze?  I rather not have to pay for shipping if there's possibly nothing wrong with the drone.

I obtained the files using the Assistant 2.  What email should I send it to?
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RayRod72 Posted at 2016-12-13 09:07
Thank you Natalia.

Can I possibly just send the .DAT files of the flight log from the flight/crash for you to analyze?  I rather not have to pay for shipping if there's possibly nothing wrong with the drone.

If in that case, please export the flight data when it crashed and send e-mail to support.us@dji.com firstly for analysis.
2016-12-12
Use props
karaemurphy23
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9140 ft
United States

Yikes, sorry to hear this happened. You may also want to email support@dronedeploy.com so they can identify what went wrong/where the problem occurred.
2016-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules