Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
H.265 Videos in Vegas Pro 14
16289 21 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

I have taken a few videos using the H.265 option with my Phantom 4 Pro and they play flawlessly on my Windows 10 PC connected to a 43" 4K monitor. However, when I attempt to use one of those videos in a Vegas Pro 14 project, the file is not recognized as a valid multimedia file. The Vegas Pro 14 "features" list includes H.265 support. In fact, this is the main reason that I upgraded to version 14. I have tried their forums to no avail so far and just now submitted a support case to Magix (they own the Vegas Pro software now). Hopefully I'll get an answer from them soon but wanted to see if anyone else is using H.265 videos. If so, have you tried editing them in Vegas Pro 14? How about another video editor?
2016-12-10
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

let us know what they say.  I too use Vegas 14 but have not tried P4P footage in it yet.
2016-12-11
Use props
fansaf04bd9e
lvl.1

Netherlands

try to use .mov format
2016-12-11
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
United States

I will give the MOV format a shot this evening when I get a chance to shoot some test video. Using MOV was a suggestion from the Vegas forum also. For existing videos they suggested remuxing them with ffmeg. I plan to try that also. I'll post my findings.
2016-12-13
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
United States

Okay, shooting the video in MOV works (simply renaming the MP4 file to MOV did not). It also worked after I remuxed it using ffmpeg. However, even though all of these videos play flawlessly with the built-in Windows 10 video app, they bring my machine to its knees in Vegas Pro 14. Its worse than a slide show and all CPU cores max out at 100%. My machine has an Intel Core i7-3960X 3.30 GHz (6 cores/12 logical processors) with 64 GB of RAM and the disk subsystem is a 4-drive RAID 0 array of Samsung SSDs. For most things it rocks the house!

Bottom line is that even though I have a solution, I don't think I'll be using H.265 unless I find some way to edit them without going through too many hoops. I do very much appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. Thank you all.
2016-12-13
Use props
vidwiz
United States

I'm a newb and I see no way to subscribe to this thread so perhaps this post will do so.
2016-12-13
Use props
Slug69
lvl.1

Australia

Are you using Vegas 14 build 201 or the original release? (201 came out two or three weeks ago)
2016-12-17
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
United States

Using Vegas Pro 14 build 201.
2016-12-26
Use props
fans7c0ea622
New

United States

I just filmed footage in H.265 on my Inspire 2 and ran into the same issue. I purchased Movavi converter to make the file an MOV.
2017-2-15
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
United States

Glad to hear you got it working. What format are you converting it to?

FYI, if you shoot the video in H.265/MOV (as opposed to H.265/MP4) the file header is correct and they are recognized. You won't have to do a conversion outside Vegas Pro. I create proxy media files, inside Vegas Pro, to work with for editing. Working with the original 4K, H.265/MOV files is way too choppy. Even using the proxy files I had to turn down my preview quality to smooth out transitions and text animations.
2017-2-16
Use props
monica66
lvl.3

Russia

I followed this article to solve the issues. Hope it will help you out. Good luck!
2017-5-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-2-16 05:39
Glad to hear you got it working. What format are you converting it to?

FYI, if you shoot the video in H.265/MOV (as opposed to H.265/MP4) the file header is correct and they are recognized. You won't have to do a conversion outside Vegas Pro. I create proxy media files, inside Vegas Pro, to work with for editing. Working with the original 4K, H.265/MOV files is way too choppy. Even using the proxy files I had to turn down my preview quality to smooth out transitions and text animations.

Editing with an MPEG based file is asking for trouble. It is designed for distribution, not editing. I convert all my MPEG footage to Quicktime Uncompressed YUV 422 10 bit for editing and only convert back to MPEG as the final stage.
2017-5-10
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-10 20:19
Editing with an MPEG based file is asking for trouble. It is designed for distribution, not editing. I convert all my MPEG footage to Quicktime Uncompressed YUV 422 10 bit for editing and only convert back to MPEG as the final stage.

This thread was about Vegas Pro which is a Windows application. Your method is certainly preferred for FCP on a Mac but not sure Vegas would work with or do any better with ProRes files.
2017-5-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-5-11 08:37
This thread was about Vegas Pro which is a Windows application. Your method is certainly preferred for FCP on a Mac but not sure Vegas would work with or do any better with ProRes files.

Quicktime Uncompressed YUV 422 10 bit is not ProRes, but I can output it from Resolve after grading, and import it into Vegas for editing. Although these days I am finding myself using Vegas less and less for simple edits and just using Resolve. the only disadvantage of my approach is the fact that the file size gets huge after conversion, but you can always delete the Quicktime files after you complete the edit, I just use it as an intermediate. I am a long time user of Vegas.
2017-5-11
Use props
christing
lvl.3

Japan

I'm using Vegas Pro 14. For the goal of maintaining maximum image quality while providing the smoothest editing experience, what I've done is  converting Phantom 4 Pro H.265 to MPEG-2 for Sony Vegas Pro. Here is the solution to Phantom 4 Pro 4K H.265 Not Work With Sony Vegas Pro.
2017-8-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

christing Posted at 2017-8-11 00:48
I'm using Vegas Pro 14. For the goal of maintaining maximum image quality while providing the smoothest editing experience, what I've done is  converting Phantom 4 Pro H.265 to MPEG-2 for Sony Vegas Pro. Here is the solution to Phantom 4 Pro 4K H.265 Not Work With Sony Vegas Pro.

I do not agree with that approach because in converting MPEG4 to MPEG2, all you are doing is converting from one highly compressed distribution format to another. Better to convert H.265 to a high quality uncompressed intermediate before doing any edit or other processing work.
2017-8-11
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-11 01:21
I do not agree with that approach because in converting MPEG4 to MPEG2, all you are doing is converting from one highly compressed distribution format to another. Better to convert H.265 to a high quality uncompressed intermediate before doing any edit or other processing work.

I agree with you not agreeing. If you're going to the trouble to convert for editing, the output should be an editor-friendly format. I no longer have a Phantom drone and this isn't an issue shooting Prores on my Inspire 2 and editing in Final Cut Pro X.

However, I would like to know what editor-friendly format that Vegas Pro likes the best (i.e. which format is the smoothest for editing) and convert the H.265 files to that format. Prores is great for editing and has great quality but archiving those huge files is costly. For most of my needs I could just convert H.265 for editing then delete the converted files when done. That way I would just be archiving the original H.265 files.
2017-8-11
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use Sony Movie Studio V13 (Baby brother to Vegas), and have never seen a need to convert my H265 encoded MP4 files (Phantom 4) to any other format to allow me to edit them.

Surely converting MP4 (or MOV) to any other format would incur some degree of distortion or loss of detail or colour on image ?
2017-8-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-8-11 04:04
I agree with you not agreeing.  If you're going to the trouble to convert for editing, the output should be an editor-friendly format. I no longer have a Phantom drone and this isn't an issue shooting Prores on my Inspire 2 and editing in Final Cut Pro X.

However, I would like to know what editor-friendly format that Vegas Pro likes the best (i.e. which format is the smoothest for editing) and convert the H.265 files to that format. Prores is great for editing and has great quality but archiving those huge files is costly. For most of my needs I could just convert H.265 for editing then delete the converted files when done. That way I would just be archiving the original H.265 files.

As I said earlier, I use Quicktime Uncompressed YUV 422 10 bit. It converts into huge files, but as it is nothing more than an intermadiary, I erase them after I finish the project.

Conversion of anything should in theory introduce distorions, but the above format does limit the damage and it means you have a good quality base to convert to another output format.
2017-8-11
Use props
christing
lvl.3

Japan

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-8-11 04:04
I agree with you not agreeing.  If you're going to the trouble to convert for editing, the output should be an editor-friendly format. I no longer have a Phantom drone and this isn't an issue shooting Prores on my Inspire 2 and editing in Final Cut Pro X.

So, how about H.264 MOV? Any intermediate format for Sony Vegas?
2017-8-15
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
United States

christing Posted at 2017-8-15 00:15
So, how about H.264 MOV? Any intermediate format for Sony Vegas?

I experimented with the proxy feature of Vegas Pro a while back but don't remember how much control you have. I don't use Vegas Pro as much as I used to since I am shooting ProRes and editing on my MacBook Pro with FCPX most of the time.
2017-8-15
Use props
Emily Harney
lvl.1

United States

iDealshare VideoGo can convert any video files like H.265, MP4, MKV, AVCHD, MXF, MOD, TOD, MOV, Apple ProRes to Sony vegas supported video format.
Here is the easy guide https://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/sony-vegas-mp4.html
2018-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules