Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Still shot / image issue - "wavy" picture
12Next >
5176 41 2016-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IIJBII
lvl.1

United States

Most of the camera reports I've seen have been for video. I thought I'd post these shots (taken on my first and second flight). Look how wavy the poles are.

Mavic Still DJI_0086.jpg DJI_0013.jpg
I've done the calibration (on Mavic) and using the DJI Assistant app without any luck.

Mavic Still DJI_0086.jpg
2016-12-11
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

dang, that looks terrible! I'm assuming when you say you've done the calibration, you mean the gimbal calibration? Have you checked your camera mount to ensure it's completely seated? Seems like some sort of high vibration is causing it, but don't know for sure. Hope you get it sorted out.
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi IIJBII, could you please follow the video tutorial to check your gimbal first?
2016-12-11
Use props
IIJBII
lvl.1

United States

FPVJunkie Posted at 2016-12-12 00:30
dang, that looks terrible! I'm assuming when you say you've done the calibration, you mean the gimbal calibration? Have you checked your camera mount to ensure it's completely seated? Seems like some sort of high vibration is causing it, but don't know for sure. Hope you get it sorted out.

FFPVJunkie - Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I meant completed the Gimbal calibration.

I've checked the gimbal, mount and camera. The gimbal is seated properly, there's nothing visible (or interfering) with the gimbal.

I took a third flight with the same results. I also have the video "jello".
2016-12-12
Use props
IIJBII
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-12 02:07
Hi IIJBII, could you please follow the video tutorial to check your gimbal first?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnXekYjEJA8

DJI Mindy - I completed this check before my each flight. I wanted a bunch of videos before flying the Mavic. I've tried different settings, without any luck.

The firmware was updated to the latest version (v01.03.0000) before the initial flight and I checked it before the second flight.

I took a third flight with the same results. Very odd "wavy" stills. I've seen some mention the weather / temperature. The outside temperature for these flights was 36-38F, well within the recommended operating range.

Any help is appreciated.
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

IIJBII Posted at 2016-12-12 17:42
DJI Mindy - I completed this check before my each flight. I wanted a bunch of videos before flying the Mavic. I've tried different settings, without any luck.

The firmware was updated to the latest version (v01.03.0000) before the initial flight and I checked it before the second flight.

It's probably a hardware issue.
I think it's better to send it in for further evaluation.
Please send an e-mail to support@dji.com with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support" . We'll help you create a case.
Case illustration:
Full name:
Email address:
Phone number:
Shipping Address:
Zip Code:
Forum link for your case:
2016-12-12
Use props
IIJBII
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-12 05:17
It's probably a hardware issue.
I think it's better to send it in for further evaluation.
Please send an e-mail to  with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support" . We'll help you create a case.

DJI Mindy - Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm leaning towards returning it Best Buy. I'm disappointed that an item that cost $1000 has to go back after the first few flights.

My questions is: How is the DJI Care handled when my drone is returned? Will DJI offer a refund? I certainly hope so.
2016-12-12
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1100079 ft
Canada

Hi,

Same issue here : wavy still pictures, as well as videos.

And another issue on top of this: almost all my recent shots are blurry. Please don't tell me I forgot to tap to focus. I may be a newbie but I am now very used to this and I did tap to focus multiple times. I could not get the camera to focus. The picture actually looks like motion-blurred rather than out of focus, as if the camera was vibrating. You can also see slight gimbal drops or shakes on the videos. I am adding a few links below to one wavy still picture, one wavy video and one blurry video.

My first flights were OK. I just started noticing this about a week ago or so. Outside temperature was around 0C, within normal operating conditions according to the manual.

I do check the gimbal regularly and the absorbers and hooks look just fine. Gimbal is moving freely.

Any kind of help will be appreciated!

Wavy chimneys (still)
Wavy video (look at the cross and the windows in the background)
Blurry video (notice how it gets better at 0:57 and then blurry again

2016-12-12
Use props
IIJBII
lvl.1

United States

My camera was getting worse. The pictures by the third flight were really bad. And the issue we are experiencing has nothing to do with tap to focus. That would only cause blur, not crazy image distortion.

Mine went back to the retailer today. It's an expensive item and should have issues day 1. I wasn't going to tie up a $1000 any longer while waiting to have it replaced.

It seems like there's some pretty serious issues with the Mavic pro. I was glad mine was only with the camera. Others are losing signal, drifting and even crashes. I didn't want the liability if the issues continued into other functions of the Mavic.
2016-12-12
Use props
IIJBII
lvl.1

United States

Here's another example. Look at how bad the walls are warped. I edited the colors on this but that's it.
IMG_3375.PNG
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

IIJBII Posted at 2016-12-12 23:37

I'm leaning towards returning it Best Buy. I'm disappointed that an item that cost $1000 has to go back after the first few flights.

Sorry for that. Our engineers need to evaluate your drone first.
If it's manufacturing defect, we will take care of it.
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

vmich Posted at 2016-12-13 07:52
Hi,

Same issue here : wavy still pictures, as well as videos.

Hi vmich, I cannot access to your link.
Could you please upload some original images to dropbox and send me the link?
2016-12-12
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-12 22:14
Hi vmich, I cannot access to your link.
Could you please upload some original images to dropbox and send me the link?

Sure. I have uploaded original material here: material
2016-12-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

vmich Posted at 2016-12-14 10:22
Sure. I have uploaded original material here: material

Sorry vmich, it's not the original files. Could you please upload the original video files which is in the SD card?
2016-12-15
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-15 05:24
Sorry vmich, it's not the original files. Could you please upload the original video files which is in the SD card?

These ARE the original files. I just renamed them, but they are not edited. Just to be 200% sure, I am re-uploading the files to Dropbox right now, same link as my previous post.
Just so I understand, what made you think the files were not the originals?
2016-12-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

vmich Posted at 2016-12-16 07:52
These ARE the original files. I just renamed them, but they are not edited. Just to be 200% sure, I am re-uploading the files to Dropbox right now, same link as my previous post.
Just so I understand, what made you think the files were not the originals?

Thank you for your cooperation.
We need to check the property of the images to confirm if it's the original one.
If you rename it, the property will be affected as well.
Besides, did you fly in P mode?
2016-12-16
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-16 04:05
We need to check the property of the images to confirm if it's the original one.
If you rename it, the property will be affected as well.

Hi DJI Mindy. Thanks for your patience! Yes, I was in P mode in both cases.
2016-12-16
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

Hello again. After chatting with DJI support the other day, I did what I was recommended: I have reset to factory settings and calibrated the camera and gimbal using DJI Assistant 2. I went flying again today, checked that the gimbal was mounted properly/moving freely and ran a gimbal calibration before taking off. None of this changed anything: all of my footage is unusable. I have added another picture and video shot today into Dropbox (same link as above) so that you can testify. The image is wavy, you can see the gimbal jumping and vibrating almost continuously except during a few seconds where it looks more or less stable.

Unless you have some kind of magic procedure for me to run to fix this, I think I will unfortunately have no choice but sending the drone back to DJI for repair. Please confirm the next course of action.
2016-12-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

vmich Posted at 2016-12-18 05:37
Hello again. After chatting with DJI support the other day, I did what I was recommended: I have reset to factory settings and calibrated the camera and gimbal using DJI Assistant 2. I went flying again today, checked that the gimbal was mounted properly/moving freely and ran a gimbal calibration before taking off. None of this changed anything: all of my footage is unusable. I have added another picture and video shot today into Dropbox (same link as above) so that you can testify. The image is wavy, you can see the gimbal jumping and vibrating almost continuously except during a few seconds where it looks more or less stable.

Unless you have some kind of magic procedure for me to run to fix this, I think I will unfortunately have no choice but sending the drone back to DJI for repair. Please confirm the next course of action.

Did you get a case number?
If not, we will help you to create a case.
Please send an e-mail to support@dji.com with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support".
Case illustration:
Full name:
Email address:
Phone number:
Shipping Address:
Zip Code:
Forum link for your case:
2016-12-17
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-17 22:53
Did you get a case number?
If not, we will help you to create a case.
Please send an e-mail to  with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support".

Alright, I just sent an email with the requested information to open a case. Let's see how it will go...

Would you have any idea if it's a known software or hardware issue and if particular conditions are causing this?
2016-12-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

vmich Posted at 2016-12-18 13:18
Alright, I just sent an email with the requested information to open a case. Let's see how it will go...

Would you have any idea if it's a known software or hardware issue and if particular conditions are causing this?

We had reported this issue. And our engineers will help to evaluate it.
I'm not sure if it's a software or hardware without the evaluation.
2016-12-18
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-19 02:43

Hello. I just received a label to ship the drone to your service facility in California. I suppose I have to ship everything: aircraft, battery, charger, etc. Everything that came in the box originally, right?
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

vmich Posted at 2016-12-20 11:44
Hello. I just received a label to ship the drone to your service facility in California. I suppose I have to ship everything: aircraft, battery, charger, etc. Everything that came in the box originally, right?

If the battery and charger are working fine, there's no need to send them in.
Just send in the aircraft.
2016-12-19
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-20 02:52
If the battery and charger are working fine, there's no need to send them in.
Just send in the aircraft.

OK will do, thanks!
2016-12-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

You are welcome. :-)
2016-12-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

You are welcome. :-)
2016-12-20
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

Hi. I noticed a new firmware was released just a few days after I shipped my Mavic for repair... The release notes say "Improved gimbal performance when flying in low temperatures". Something tells me it very well could have solved my problem. Just a bit too late!
2017-1-5
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

Hi DJI Mindy. I just received my Mavic back from repair. I noticed they have changed the whole aircraft, not only the gimbal. This means a new aircraft serial number. Since I had purchased a DJI Care Refresh plan and it is attached to the previous serial number, how do I make sure that the plan is transfered over to the replacement aircraft?
2017-1-25
Use props
roydezno
lvl.1

United States

vmich Posted at 2017-1-5 19:48
Hi. I noticed a new firmware was released just a few days after I shipped my Mavic for repair... The release notes say "Improved gimbal performance when flying in low temperatures". Something tells me it very well could have solved my problem. Just a bit too late!

The firmware update doesn't do anything. I'm having to send mine back too.
2017-1-26
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-18 23:43

Hi. I received the drone back from repair and went for a test flight today after upgrading to the latest firmware. I am extremely disappointed, to say the least.  The vibration or blur issue is gone, but the waves are still present. At 2.7k 30fps, the waves only appear sporadically once in a while, say 3 times over a 5-6 minute period of time, and the whole image is distorted. At 1080p 48 fps, the problem is constantly there: everything that is remotely close to a vertical line is twisted and looks like a solomonic column.
It also appears that I was initially informed by DJI support that the gimbal and camera would be replaced (which looked logical to me) but finally the aircraft was changed and the old gimbal put back onto it. There I am completely confused...
What do I do now? Ship everything back and wait for another 4 weeks to get a new drone, or simply give up and ask for a refund?
2017-1-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

vmich Posted at 2017-1-28 09:41
Hi. I received the drone back from repair and went for a test flight today after upgrading to the latest firmware. I am extremely disappointed, to say the least.  The vibration or blur issue is gone, but the waves are still present. At 2.7k 30fps, the waves only appear sporadically once in a while, say 3 times over a 5-6 minute period of time, and the whole image is distorted. At 1080p 48 fps, the problem is constantly there: everything that is remotely close to a vertical line is twisted and looks like a solomonic column.
It also appears that I was initially informed by DJI support that the gimbal and camera would be replaced (which looked logical to me) but finally the aircraft was changed and the old gimbal put back onto it. There I am completely confused...
What do I do now? Ship everything back and wait for another 4 weeks to get a new drone, or simply give up and ask for a refund?

Sorry for the late reply due to Chinese New Year holiday.
Could you please provide me with your case number?
I'll help to check on it.
2017-2-3
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-3 03:23

Hello DJI Mindy. Happy new year then, and thank you for getting back to me! I just sent you my initial repair case number and the new escalated RMA that was opened, as a personal message. Meanwhile, I have also been given some troubleshooting tips by the support team on the phone. I will give them a try and test-fly to verify if it solved the issues. Temperatures are a bit low these days up here in Canada, so I may have to wait a few days for better conditions. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help.
2017-2-4
Use props
E3exr1R5CKo6
New

Italy

HI

I have the same problem with wavy pictures and videos. I thougt its only because of the cold or the wind outside. Should I send some pictures or videos to the support or how can I handle the problem?

2017-2-8
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-3 03:23

Hello Mindy. I sent you my case number via a PM. I wrote a detailed email to the US support team explaining the 3 issues that remain after the drone was repaired. I want a written answer from DJI before I ship the drone back a second time for repair. The reason is I want to understand if these issues are going to be actually fixed by a repair or an exchange, or if there are inherent to the current design of the Mavic Pro. I sent that email 8 days ago and did not hear anything back; can you help?
2017-2-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

vmich Posted at 2017-2-13 19:08
Hello Mindy. I sent you my case number via a PM. I wrote a detailed email to the US support team explaining the 3 issues that remain after the drone was repaired. I want a written answer from DJI before I ship the drone back a second time for repair. The reason is I want to understand if these issues are going to be actually fixed by a repair or an exchange, or if there are inherent to the current design of the Mavic Pro. I sent that email 8 days ago and did not hear anything back; can you help?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not available these days.
I didn't received your PM.
When you emailed you should have received an automated message containing a 6 digit ticket number.
Could you please provide me with the ticket number and your case number?
2017-2-27
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-27 03:38
Sorry for the late reply. I'm not available these days.
I didn't received your PM.
When you emailed you should have received an automated message containing a 6 digit ticket number.

Escalated case reference: CAS-434294-F1W0N1
My Mavic Pro was shipped back to California and was delivered to DJI by UPS yesterday from what I can tell.
2017-3-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

vmich Posted at 2017-3-4 13:40
Escalated case reference: CAS-434294-F1W0N1
My Mavic Pro was shipped back to California and was delivered to DJI by UPS yesterday from what I can tell.

Thank you. I have added a note about the delivery to your case.
After evaluating your drone, our engineers will let you know what need to be replaced or repaired.
2017-3-5
Use props
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

IIJBII Posted at 2016-12-12 07:37

If you buy with an Amex they will give you your money back. I have had a camera break and a mirror break, both items were my fault, but they immediately returned my money. I even got to keep the camera which was still some what usable. Now I make sure all big purchases are on my American Express.
2017-3-6
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-5 22:50
Thank you. I have added a note about the delivery to your case.
After evaluating your drone, our engineers will let you know what need to be replaced or repaired.

Hello Mindy.

After evaluation, DJI was unable to communicate their findings. There was no indication in the damage assessment that I received by email, so I specifically asked DJI US support for details and got the following response: "Upon checking your case there was no note about the damage assessment. We can not find any information to your case." Isn't this incredible?

I received my third Mavic (yes, this is the 3rd one...) from repair yesterday, after 7 days of shipping, even though I had been promised an upgrade for a 2-day shipping. The unit was swapped as I can tell from the change in serial number. I went for test flights today and I am again extremely disappointed:
1. The right part of the image (about 20% in width) is constantly blurry.
2. The gimbal is still jumpy: out of 25 shots, at least 5 shots show a gimbal glitch.
3. Everything shot at 48fps or more (at 1080p) is aliased to a point the footage is unusable.
4. Finally, the center of the image is yellowish, within a circular area that is about a third of the image height. It shows very well on snow shots. It looks as if the image was over-saturated in this area.

Bottom line, the drone flies great but the camera and gimbal are simply not functional.

I really believe I demonstrated a lot of patience for the past 5 months, going through troubleshooting flights over and over, sending drones for repair again and again. This time I must say DJI has lost all trust and credibility to my eyes. There seems to have no quality checks in place (how can you deliver a drone with a blurry camera lens??) and your Mavic Pros have obvious manufacturing (if not design) issues. Therefore I am now asking for a full refund of the drone, extra battery and DJI Care plan that I had purchased initially. Could you please advise how I have to proceed?
2017-3-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

vmich Posted at 2017-3-25 06:48
Hello Mindy.

After evaluation, DJI was unable to communicate their findings. There was no indication in the damage assessment that I received by email, so I specifically asked DJI US support for details and got the following response: "Upon checking your case there was no note about the damage assessment. We can not find any information to your case." Isn't this incredible?

I can understand how frustrating this must be.
Please send an email to support.us@dji.com with your request then provide me with your ticket number.
I'll help to escalate it for you.
2017-3-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules