Drone Selfie
2238 19 2016-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skookumtim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 323589 ft
United States

I wanted to try the "Drone Selfie." Does anyone know how to avoid the reflection of the blade when flying at certain angles to the Sun? Also, sometimes, the camara gets waves through it with vibrations. Not sure what causes that.

2016-12-11
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Yes, I think if you slowed it down a little the drone wouldn't tilt so much it brings the props into the video. Or you could tilt the camera down until you see the prop disappear from the video.
2016-12-11
Use props
fansae63899d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361188 ft
United States

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-12-12 08:55
Yes, I think if you slowed it down a little the drone wouldn't tilt so much it brings the props into the video. Or you could tilt the camera down until you see the prop disappear from the video.

Those reflections are not the props.

I have no idea how to fix that. I also have that sometimes.
2016-12-11
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

I believe the solution is to use ND filters which will slow down the shutter speed and essentially remove those shadows.  It is kinda sad that we have to use a third party product to resolve this issue.
2016-12-11
Use props
Submanager
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

Without more information about your configuration, it's hard to help too much. However, the image looks like a reflection of the blades, not the actual blades themselves. Did you fly with the plastic dome still on the camera?  If so, removing it may correct the problem.  Also, there's some conjecture that removing the dome is better for the copter since it allows better airflow within the copter.

Hope this helps.
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Skookumtim, as for the vibrations, did you fly in S mode or P mode?
2016-12-12
Use props
Skookumtim
lvl.2
United States

Submanager Posted at 2016-12-12 00:34
Without more information about your configuration, it's hard to help too much. However, the image looks like a reflection of the blades, not the actual blades themselves. Did you fly with the plastic dome still on the camera?  If so, removing it may correct the problem.  Also, there's some conjecture that removing the dome is better for the copter since it allows better airflow within the copter.

Hope this helps.

The dome is off. I don't fly with it on. But thanks for the suggestion. Anything helps!
2016-12-12
Use props
Skookumtim
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-12 02:03
Hi Skookumtim, as for the vibrations, did you fly in S mode or P mode?

This was in P mode, assume S = sport
2016-12-12
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
United States

fansae63899d Posted at 2016-12-11 21:14
Those reflections are not the props.

I have no idea how to fix that. I also have that sometimes.

The reflections are of the props as the sun shines through them creating this fluttering shadow effect. If you don't believe it, then do the exact same shot on a cloudy day when there is no sun. Watching this video and where the shadow of the trees are leaves no doubt it's caused by the sun. Like the trees with a long shadow, so can the sun create a shadow effect with your propellers even though they are not in view.
2016-12-12
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

I don't think these anomalies are reflections, but are actually shadows as the sun shines through the props. This would be in a position where the sun was to the side of the Mavic and your subject directly in front. Try moving the Mavic left or right, rotating back onto the subject so the angle from the sun is say 15 to 20 degrees different to what it was, and the shadows will disappear when you now reframe your subject. Sounds long winded but would take a few seconds to perform.
2016-12-12
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

But, looking at your footage again your selfy is a close up to long range shot. If you set the angle of departure off by 15 to 20 degrees it should cure the problem, but you wouldn't have the framing of the parallel lines you have achieved to balance the shot. The only cure if you wanted the same shot would be to do it at a different time of day and let the sun change its angle.
2016-12-12
Use props
fansae63899d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361188 ft
United States

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-12-13 00:57
The reflections are of the props as the sun shines through them creating this fluttering shadow effect. If you don't believe it, then do the exact same shot on a cloudy day when there is no sun. Watching this video and where the shadow of the trees are leaves no doubt it's caused by the sun. Like the trees with a long shadow, so can the sun create a shadow effect with your propellers even though they are not in view.

Yes, that might be the correct answer.

But your first answer was wrong, where you said it's the props coming into the video.
2016-12-12
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
United States

fansae63899d Posted at 2016-12-12 13:23
Yes, that might be the correct answer.

But your first answer was wrong, where you said it's the props coming into the video.

Yes, I did mention it was the propellers. I stand corrected.
2016-12-12
Use props
fans9a1ac4d9
lvl.2
United Kingdom

You must have awesome eyes, unless LOS doesn't count where you. Aside from that awesome shot a scenery, jealous. Shame about the prop shadows, ND filter needed.
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Skookumtim Posted at 2016-12-13 00:27
This was in P mode, assume S = sport

It's probably the wind affect the gimbal.
When hovering at a low altitude, will the camera gets vibrations?
2016-12-12
Use props
Skookumtim
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-12 20:58
It's probably the wind affect the gimbal.
When hovering at a low altitude, will the camera gets vibrations?

I'll have to test that. It seems to be mainly at higher altitudes. I've seen it once when doing a pan and once when flying straight and level.
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Skookumtim Posted at 2016-12-15 06:31
I'll have to test that. It seems to be mainly at higher altitudes. I've seen it once when doing a pan and once when flying straight and level.

Please test more and let me know the update. Thanks.
2016-12-15
Use props
pllphoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is incredible footage. I love how beautiful everything looks. Wish I knew what caused those artifacts on the video.
2016-12-15
Use props
ctopysf
lvl.2

United States

There are various methods for fixing that prop shadow strobing effect in editing software as well. I haven't tried it, but one method I have seen is to overlay your footage with the same footage, offset by 1 frame and opacity reduced until it looks good.
2016-12-15
Use props
Kiffkool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 812808 ft
United Kingdom

As some have mentioned before ..only cure is to slow shutter speed so an ND would be good, slowing shutter speed also cures the jello issue but will increase motion blur which can be too much for some pan movements but for some its a personal taste .
2016-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules