Sports mode error
3581 36 2016-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Travis199
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144039 ft
United Kingdom

Anyone else experienced a problem when in sports mode?

Under full throttle the Mavic loses gps despite having full satalite coverage. It displays an error saying

Warning: comp redundancy switch. It then goes into ATTI mode and starts to drift. If I put it back into GPS sometimes it snaps out of it and other times is drifts

It seems to have occurred since the firmware update. My gimbal horizon seems way worse too

I've spoken to customer support and jumped through a million hoops re calibrating etc and it's still doing it so unfortunately I'm returning her for evaluation

I don't know if it's worth noting but this was one of the first mavics in the wild. I ordered on release date and have been flying it for about 5-6 weeks

Anyone else seeing this?
2016-12-12
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Why won't the board let me type c.o.m.p.a.s.s without throwing up an error
2016-12-12
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

yes, me too. I am able to replicate the issue over and over.
With both sticks on full throttle I get compass redundancy errors and IMU calibration errors. I cannot get flight logs off my macbook (per this issue http://forum.dji.com/thread-75282-1-1.html) as I have been trying to get help on this for over a week)

I'd like to share my flight logs to show the issue but I cannot extract the logs from my Macbook using the desktop Assistant app
2016-12-12
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Me too buddy every time I go full throttle in sports it happens. Support advised me to return it for evaluation/ repair
2016-12-12
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
United Kingdom

It would seem we are now allowed to say compass
2016-12-12
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 664521 ft
United States

Same problem, in normal mode no errors, in sports mode with full throttle I get compass error, was working fine and then there was a firmware update.
It still flies forwards in a straight line, even with the error, if I do a rapid accent though the heading does drift, previous firmware with rapid accent it would keep pointing in the same direction.

I do compass cal before each flight and have re-cal the sticks.
2016-12-12
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Birdog Posted at 2016-12-12 22:00
Same problem, in normal mode no errors, in sports mode with full throttle I get compass error, was working fine and then there was a firmware update.
It still flies forwards in a straight line, even with the error, if I do a rapid accent though the heading does drift, previous firmware with rapid accent it would keep pointing in the same direction.

I spent a lot of time with support today buddy. Numerous calibrations. Formatted sd. Unlinked and linked the controller. Compass calibration. Restored to factory. Re installed the firmware and still the issue persists

At the end they just asked me to return the aircraft for repair. It does seem like a few people are effected so I would have thought they would be aware of the issue if it was just the firmware making it happen?

Has anyone else updated the firmware and NOT having this issue?
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've reported it, the GPS and compass work together with the flight controller.
It may be the violent braking effects the compass for a few seconds and putting it into ATTI mode.
2016-12-12
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-12 22:21
It may be the violent braking effects the compass for a few seconds and putting it into ATTI mode.

Thanks for the reply Ken. Do you think I'm doing the right thing returning it with it potentially been a firmware issue? Ideally I don't want to be without it lol but equally don't want to lose it over water or anything
2016-12-12
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-12 22:21

For me it seemed like once the motor were above a certain RMP, or once travelling above a certain speed.
If I gradually increase speed the error doesnt appear until close to full throttle, then gradually backing off and the error goes away.

I put it down to a firmware glitch and assumed it would be fixed in the next patch, and ignore it for the most part.

The gimbal acts up a bit now since the latest firmware, gets stuck on an angle, the slightest heading change and it corrects itself.

I might try downgrading to the previous version to see if the problems clear. Is it ease to downgrade ?
2016-12-12
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
United States

The issue doesn't seem to affect the flight performance. While the errors are being thrown, the controls are still very responsive and the flight path doesn't go off course. The errors are alarming though, seeing IMU errors while the thing is far away makes your gut wrench. Ken, thank you for looking at this
2016-12-12
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Wind Junkie Posted at 2016-12-12 22:50
The issue doesn't seem to affect the flight performance. While the errors are being thrown, the controls are still very responsive and the flight path doesn't go off course. The errors are alarming though, seeing IMU errors while the thing is far away makes your gut wrench. Ken, thank you for looking at this

Today mine defiantly started drifting when the compass error came on. I had to fight it a little to get it back straight
2016-12-12
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think this thread is somehow related to this one: http://forum.dji.com/thread-75833-1-1.html

Different error, but EXACTLY the same way to reproduce it. Sports mode, full forward. I posted a video of it happening in that thread, if it helps.
2016-12-12
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

I think this is an issue with the mavic itself and the GPS/Compass position in the craft. The switch to atti mode has been reported for a while, and i think the latest firmware has been adjusted to handle things slightly differently.

On my first few flights, i got a bump into Atti mode, whilst still having 18 - 20 sats ... no issue but ever since then i have kept away from sports mode.
I hope they can fix the issue so sports mode is as rock solid as every other mode, but until then, i'll be keeping in GPS mode.

2016-12-12
Use props
James L.
lvl.2
United States

I noticed this problem couple of days ago also.  And it was in sport mode at full throttle going up and forward.  The compass redundancy error came so I released the throttle and I noticed that the Mavic was drifting.  I was really afraid of the the mavic doing circles before crashing so I immediately landed.

I didn't know what caused it at the moment and didn't even think that it was something related to the sport mode and throttle.

I first thought it's something in the dji go 4 app as I did not see this problem with dji go before.  Hopefully they get it fixed with firmware update.
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Travis199 Posted at 2016-12-12 15:36
Thanks for the reply Ken. Do you think I'm doing the right thing returning it with it potentially been a firmware issue? Ideally I don't want to be without it lol but equally don't want to lose it over water or anything

If others are reporting it then it's more than likely going to get resolved with another firmware.
So it's totally up to you if you want to fly carefully or send it in.
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Birdog Posted at 2016-12-12 15:49
For me it seemed like once the motor were above a certain RMP, or once travelling above a certain speed.
If I gradually increase speed the error doesnt appear until close to full throttle, then gradually backing off and the error goes away.

Yes, it seems abrupt flight changes are effecting the compass and when flight is stabilized it goes back into GPS.
Again, reported and we have to wait to see the resolution.
2016-12-12
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-12 23:15
If others are reporting it then it's more than likely going to get resolved with another firmware.
So it's totally up to you if you want to fly carefully or send it in.

Yes granted Ken. But if it is just a firmware issue. Sending it in wouldn't help would it?
2016-12-12
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mir Posted at 2016-12-12 23:03
I think this thread is somehow related to this one: http://forum.dji.com/thread-75833-1-1.html

Different error, but EXACTLY the same way to reproduce it. Sports mode, full forward. I posted a video of it happening in that thread, if it helps.

Can you try to reproduce the error but only push the stick to 75% on forward (pitch) control ?

I have a theory that it's the angle sports mode lets the mavic go to that throws this exception ... if thats the case ... a quick fix will be to adjust sports mode endpoint to 75%

Until a firmware fix is in place at least ...
2016-12-12
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-12 23:28
Can you try to reproduce the error but only push the stick to 75% on forward (pitch) control ?

I have a theory that it's the angle sports mode lets the mavic go to that throws this exception ... if thats the case ... a quick fix will be to adjust sports mode endpoint to 75%

I've read on another forum that it's something to do with the electrical load noise from the motors causing the compass to switch to the front compass

Apparently they are saying the issue has always been there. Just DJI tried correcting it with the latest firmware to protect TBE and drift
2016-12-12
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Travis199 Posted at 2016-12-12 23:30
I've read on another forum that it's something to do with the electrical load noise from the motors causing the compass to switch to the front compass

Apparently they are saying the issue has always been there. Just DJI tried correcting it with the latest firmware to protect TBE and drift

I'd bet their right too ... I'd take a slight hit in forward flight speed though to have a rock solid drone in sports mode or any other ...

I'm not that ersed with flying really fast as i bought it for filming mainly ... i have mini quads for racing

That said ... you still want something that performs as advertised.
2016-12-12
Use props
James L.
lvl.2
United States

I don't remember having this problem before I started using the Dji Go 4...   When I first got the Mavic, all I did was fly in sport mode. I figured that if I get used to the sport mode, then flying in normal mode would be easier.

I don't know. I could be wrong about the Dji go 4.

2016-12-12
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

Don't return your drone, this is a known issue with the new firmware: http://forum.dji.com/thread-76005-1-1.html
2016-12-12
Use props
Aaronmke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2155883 ft
United States

There is a new thread buy DJI Mindy labeled mavic Pro Compass switching issues This Thread May answer your questions
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I flew a little while ago and tested this for 1/2 battery tried about 20 times going full speed in Sport Mode then went to full back and I also flew it very erratically and I could NOT get it to go into ATTI mode.
I updated to the latest firmware prior to this test.

When I first took off I got a magnetic interference warning, I flew around in GPS mode for a few minutes then landed and did a compass calibration.
After that no more magnetic interference and as I said earlier, I could not get the Mavic to go into ATTI mode. So everything is working just fine on this one.
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wind Junkie Posted at 2016-12-12 15:30
yes, me too. I am able to replicate the issue over and over.
With both sticks on full throttle I get compass redundancy errors and IMU calibration errors. I cannot get flight logs off my macbook (per this issue http://forum.dji.com/thread-75282-1-1.html) as I have been trying to get help on this for over a week)

I just posted, I tried as hard as I could to get an error and go into ATTI mode but I could not.
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Birdog Posted at 2016-12-12 16:00

When you calibrate the compass, you are doing it in a interference free area with no metal around.
No phone. keys, or any metal objects in your pockets and the RC/phone on the ground and not in your other hand when you calibrate right?I could not get any errors no matter how erratic I flew.
2016-12-12
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Maybe this is the new way to force ATTI mode =)
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Travis199 Posted at 2016-12-12 16:03
I spent a lot of time with support today buddy. Numerous calibrations. Formatted sd. Unlinked and linked the controller. Compass calibration. Restored to factory. Re installed the firmware and still the issue persists

At the end they just asked me to return the aircraft for repair. It does seem like a few people are effected so I would have thought they would be aware of the issue if it was just the firmware making it happen?

As I stated, I updated and I tried my hardest to get a compass error an go into ATTI mode but I could not.
Erratic flying in Sport Mode with both sticks full forward then full reverse and it stayed in GPS mode the entire time.
2016-12-12
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-13 05:00
As I stated, I updated and I tried my hardest to get a compass error an go into ATTI mode but I could not.
Erratic flying in Sport Mode with both sticks full forward then full reverse and it stayed in GPS mode the entire time.

Hmmmm I'll see what transpires then. I have already arranged a colllection with support so unsure what to do now.
2016-12-12
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
Norway

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-13 05:57
When you calibrate the compass, you are doing it in a interference free area with no metal around.
No phone. keys, or any metal objects in your pockets and the RC/phone on the ground and not in your other hand when you calibrate right?I could not get any errors no matter how erratic I flew.

I havent noticed it dropping to ATTI mode when I get the error, everything else seem to work as normal.
And when I get the compass error I am not throwing the drone around, straight flight with gradual increase in throttle and when I get close to full throttle the error apprears.
I am trying to figureout how to export the flight log CSV file (where is it saved?)
I`ll post it when I learn
2016-12-13
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
United States

I don't believe I've ever been put into ATTI mode. The DJI Go 4 App always first shows compass redundancy errors and then for a brief second IMU Calibration errors
2016-12-13
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
Norway

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-13 06:00

Here is my csv File, it was around the 7 minute mark when I went full throttle, got the alarm and it did drift left.

2016-12-10_8-16-06_Standard.rar

132.7 KB, Down times: 0

Log

2016-12-13
Use props
Richard Mavic p
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44797 ft
United States

Here is the Official post on DJI Chinese forum: http://bbs.dji.com/thread-95244-1-1.html
It says this situation is perfectly normal so do not worry about it.
Just for ur info.
2016-12-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Travis199 Posted at 2016-12-13 01:13
Hmmmm I'll see what transpires then. I have already arranged a colllection with support so unsure what to do now.

It's up to you, the most recent firmware should have taken care of it.
Try a factory restore, and maybe also refreshing the latest firmware.
Can you try another compass calibration outside and free from any metal and with nothing in your pockets.
If nothing works then feel free to send it in.
2016-12-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wind Junkie Posted at 2016-12-13 06:44
I don't believe I've ever been put into ATTI mode. The DJI Go 4 App always first shows compass redundancy errors and then for a brief second IMU Calibration errors

Try an other IMU calibration on a flat surface, then another compass calibration and see if that helps.
Also, refresh the firmware or try a factory reset.
2016-12-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Birdog Posted at 2016-12-13 07:57
Here is my csv File, it was around the 7 minute mark when I went full throttle, got the alarm and it did drift left.

I can't do anything with the log, you would need to get the DAT file and start a ticket and have the flight data analysis department review the flight.
I can only see your flight records if you provide me your email and sync your flight records, but when I see the error it does not tell me why. The DAT files would be able to tell why.I thought you had an issue because it was going into ATTI mode.
2016-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules