Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro Compass Switching Issue
11346 57 2016-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

jdmagoo Posted at 2016-12-21 15:12
So this is what I have found, when observing the compass data within the go app the value climbs pass 400 when I travel max speed in sports mode, when it passes 400 the compass redundancy error appears and switches to compass 2.

The following is what I have observed with the current firmware:

I'm not sold on the new firmware switch. I had problems indoors with the new firmware as well. I'm not able to even use modes indoors with the new firmware and go 4. It just won't let you where as with old firmware and go 3, you can switch with 8 sats and it stays there (while switching in and out of opti mode in flight).

Outdoors, the compass does get high in sport but no fly away yet (cross fingers). I may have a good one. I reading in another place that people are sending units back to dji to reroute the motor wiring to the rear props, as it runs too close to the compass causing it to fail under high load. It's probably limited to early models but they are still testing.

They probably have the wire twisted causing the wire to act like an inductor under load. Haven't opened mine up yet, but that's what the problem sounds like to me if it's causing the compass to fail.
2016-12-24
Use props
No1much
Second Officer
Flight distance : 143878 ft
United States

Will do. Do we send the logs, or the Mavic's FC files from DJI Assistant 2 for the flight where it happened? Because my Mavic was flown in an area where its 4 previous flights have all been free of errors, but after several seconds going full-forward on  the sticks in Sport mode, my app said "Magnetic interference. Fly with caution" regardless of where I or the Mavic were at the time. And I'd like to contribute some useful information from that flight since DJI's Support seems to be asking for it.
2016-12-24
Use props
Apriliamgt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1155823 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Still getting a compass error with the new firmware

Is this a firmware fix or a send to dji job??

Thanks
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Apriliamgt Posted at 2016-12-27 00:36
Still getting a compass error with the new firmware

Is this a firmware fix or a send to dji job??

The warning message is "Compass Redundancy Switch", right?
This new firmware has a much more safer compass switch strategy.  Please don't worry about the message.
2016-12-26
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.1
Flight distance : 240354 ft
Hungary

Hi! Unfortunately this can also happen during RTH! If aircraft reaches top speed of 20 mph in RTH P-mode it gets interference on compass 1 and switches to compass 2! Is it safe to RTH with one compass only?
2016-12-27
Use props
takhawaja
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16378 ft
United States

So the message that comes up just ignore it? It doesn't interfere with losing it right?  I only fly back in sports mode when I return home and then switch it back to normal mode. The message comes up, but I am ok?
2016-12-28
Use props
Bishop01
New

United States

This isn't just a compass redundancy switch warning message - an ERROR appears with Compass failure whenever I hit full throttle in sports mode. I'm also noticing way more gimble vibration (also mentioned in other threads) with the new firmware update.

Rolling back the firmware update results in neither issue occurring, at least visually on the screen/recordings.

2017-1-1
Use props
Anthony566
First Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

The weather has been really poor for me over the last few weeks i relly need to test this out
2017-1-12
Use props
eliosmavic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 819068 ft
Netherlands

After a week in the DJI repair center, my Mavic is now being repaired free of charge. The components being exchanged are: Compass Board, Core Board.
Can't wait to test it!
2017-1-19
Use props
Wind Junkie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

eliosmavic Posted at 2017-1-19 02:08
After a week in the DJI repair center, my Mavic is now being repaired free of charge. The components being exchanged are: Compass Board, Core Board.
Can't wait to test it!

Are you still getting errors? I've done an IMU calibration (first time and I've owned it since November, over 100 flights) but the issue is persisting. I always get IMU and compass errors when in full throttle in sport mode.
2017-1-29
Use props
ScrappyMan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8517215 ft
United States

A simple at home DIY fix has been found for the compass noise / redundancy switch issue.  Please see here: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/diy-rear-compass-cabling-fix.8349/
2017-2-20
Use props
mzfly
Flight distance : 467474 ft
New Zealand

Hi Mindy could you please take a look at my post car charger burnout
Thanks in advance
2017-2-23
Use props
ddvvcc
New

United States

so mine is doing this compass redundancy warning since yesterday first time using ios instead of android. should I send it to dji?
2017-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ddvvcc Posted at 2017-3-18 09:27
so mine is doing this compass redundancy warning since yesterday first time using ios instead of android. should I send it to dji?

That just means your second compass is kicking in, in other words it's working correctly. No need to fix something that's working just fine..
2017-3-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

This just happen to me a little while ago , Checked compass calibration setting and found that my Primary  compass was excellent / short green line very little fluctuation approx. 16th of the line and less  
The Secondary compass / full line yellow fluctuating to full red line on and off constantly
I did a recalibration of the compass and all as golden good to go
Thank You for the Heads Up -- I'll continue to check this B4 any flights
Thanks again
2017-3-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-18 10:13
This just happen to me a little while ago , Checked compass calibration setting and found that my Primary  compass was excellent / short green line very little fluctuation approx. 16th of the line and less  
The Secondary compass / full line yellow fluctuating to full red line on and off constantly
I did a recalibration of the compass and all as golden good to go

Please disregard my last post #55 I never gotten any warning messages , just happen to notice while checking settings B4 a flight, and Secondary compass was out of calibration
2017-3-18
Use props
ddvvcc
New

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-18 09:47
That just means your second compass is kicking in, in other words it's working correctly. No need to fix something that's working just fine..

i don't know.. it switched to 2nd compass then as i was landing it gave error and switched back again.
2017-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ddvvcc Posted at 2017-3-18 12:20
i don't know.. it switched to 2nd compass then as i was landing it gave error and switched back again.

So maybe the area you were flying has some magnetic interference, I would go to another area free of any interference and just take off about 8 feet and let it hover, then fly forward backward left right up down, just a couple of feet in each direction, checking there is no interference, if there is. Preform a compass calibration as per the Manual.

Good luck..
2017-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules