Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The Mavic gimbal is shaking in a strange way
5036 20 2016-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anarkistix
lvl.1

Norway

I understand a lot people have issues with the Mavic gimbal, but too me it seems like people have a wide range of strange gimbal trouble.

This is how my gimbal behaves and what I have found out so far:

Here is a video of what I would describe as "random shaking" both in flight and on the ground:

Here is what I know:

- I have the latest firmware: Mavic: v01.03.0000 / DJI GO 4 App iOS : v4.0.0
- The gimbal is correctly attached to its hooks.
- Gimbal calibration, IMU calibration, Compass calibration and calibration in the Assistant 2 doesn't help.
- The problem only occurs outside in temperatures a little above and under 0 degrees celcius.
- I am not able to reproduce the problem indoors in normal indoor temperatures. Neither by flying or on the floor.
- There is a buzzing-sound from the gimbal everytime it shakes.

Help would be much appreciated.
2016-12-15
Use props
StianGel
Captain
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

Read on FPV.no where someone had a similar problem. He tilted the drone backwards untill the gimbal stopped stabilizing. That would stop the shaking untill he rebooted the drone.
2016-12-15
Use props
D_jan_i
lvl.4
Flight distance : 562802 ft
United States

I had the same problem, I guess it's a hardware problem. I followed the instruction from the hotline and it was still there - I sent it to DJI this morning. I hope they make really a test before they send it out
2016-12-15
Use props
Evan8tr
United States

Had the same problem during almost all flights, more evident in cold conditions. But the problem still persisted in warmer conditions around 50 deg F. Also, had blurriness problems. Did everything you said (IMU calibration, reformatted SD, calibrated gimbal, reinstalled firmware, reset camera setting, etc) Problem still persisted. Figured id never be happy with the image quality (And Im not picky, or big into editing) so I decided to just send it in. Lots of positive feedback about DJI's repair service and turn around time.
2016-12-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Anarkistix, it's probably the low temperature affects the performance of the gimbal.
We had reported this issue and our engineers are working on it.  It might be improved by new firmware.
2016-12-15
Use props
Anarkistix
lvl.1

Norway

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-16 07:28
Hello Anarkistix, it's probably the low temperature affects the performance of the gimbal.
We had reported this issue and our engineers are working on it.  It might be improved by new firmware.

Hi Mindy!

Thanks for your answer. Hope you can fix it.

Unfortunately the video now is pretty useless during the winter season in Europe...
2016-12-16
Use props
Campyonlyguy
New

United States

Wondering what the "low temps" are that you're flying in. I was flying yesterday in Northern California, where it was in the 50s (F), and getting intermittent shaking from the camera.

Generally, letting the drone hover for a few seconds allowed the gimbal to settle down, but not always. I ended up with a lot of unusable footage.
2016-12-17
Use props
Anarkistix
lvl.1

Norway

Campyonlyguy Posted at 2016-12-18 02:40
Wondering what the "low temps" are that you're flying in. I was flying yesterday in Northern California, where it was in the 50s (F), and getting intermittent shaking from the camera.

Generally, letting the drone hover for a few seconds allowed the gimbal to settle down, but not always. I ended up with a lot of unusable footage.

I've been flying in the 30-40s (F).
2016-12-19
Use props
BradC234
lvl.3
Flight distance : 219770 ft
Canada

I have the same issue up here in Canada, I really don't want to send it in and wait the long amount of time to get it repaired/replaced
2016-12-19
Use props
Lepus
lvl.4

Canada

I had similar issue, but it was windy and cold.  When I flew again it was fine.
2016-12-19
Use props
rapcon
Flight distance : 8871 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had this issue out of the box and have sent my Mavic back.  It was disappointing after waiting 54 days for my order to arrive and after watching so many successful flights and video captures.  To this point I still have not had the experience that I desparately anticipated.  I'm hopeful I will get my mavic repaired or replaced with a fully functional unit.  To be honest after all the troubleshooting, I concluded that it was not the gimbal but in fact, the camera failed.  If you look at the overall stability of your video, it is not a gimbal glitch but actual video glitching.  After reloading the firmware, calibration of the IMU, compass, gimbal; resetting the camera the glitches only got progressively worst.  See link below:

2016-12-19
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

I also had the same problem out of the box. Send it back. You have 15 days to exchange for new one. I took me two weeks from submitting my form to getting my new one. This new one works great.
2016-12-19
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.4
United States

Lepus Posted at 2016-12-19 14:15
I had similar issue, but it was windy and cold.  When I flew again it was fine.

You better double check this issue. Mine also came and went, but it was a bad unit. You have 15 days to exchange from the time you receive it.
2016-12-19
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.4
United States

BradC234 Posted at 2016-12-19 13:00
I have the same issue up here in Canada, I really don't want to send it in and wait the long amount of time to get it repaired/replaced

You have 15 days to exchange it. After that time you are going to pay to get it fixed.
2016-12-19
Use props
colonel00
lvl.3

United States

BayArea99 Posted at 2016-12-19 15:39
You have 15 days to exchange it. After that time you are going to pay to get it fixed.

Why would he have to pay to get it fixed if it's defective?  Seems that would be a warrantied item.

Also, I posted this last night.  My gimble got all wonky for quite a while but somehow righted itself after I let it sit on the ground for a bit.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-76812-1-1.html
2016-12-19
Use props
#LehuaTeam
lvl.1
United States

I had the same problem with my drone and unfortunately I had to send it in for repair. It took me a week for ground shipping to send it to their repair shop from the east coast. Once they got it though they evaluated it and repaired it within a day and said that the aircraft/gimbal had software/hardware issues and they fixed it under warranty. They said it will be shipped back within 3 buisness days so I'm hoping to get my drone back soon. A lot of Mavic's have been having this problem and it's unfortunate but you should probably send it in for repair if you have tried everything and are still having the problem.
2016-12-21
Use props
QueenCityDrones
New

United States

I sent mine in for repair, 5 biz day ground shipping there and back, took 5 biz days to repair also. Got it back and gimble is messed up.  Having to send it back again.  This will mean I've owned the Mavic 45 days and had only been able to use it for 4 days.  DJI has some work to do on the customer service front. .  
2017-3-12
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3809 ft
Canada

Good Evening (for me anyway)....latest firmware is v01.03.0500. Hope this helps?
2017-3-12
Use props
fans29b3302b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 113488 ft
Poland

I've got exactly the same issue. Inside gimbal is steady without any problems, outside it is shaky even if mavic stay on ground - check that video

I tried to calibrate IMU, Compass, Gimbal, updated firmware via GO 4 app as well as Assistant 2, nothing helped.

I'm confused because it's brand new drone (I got it 4 days for now) and I bought it via GearBest, so is that mean that I have to send it back to china for repairs?

2017-12-10
Use props
luciens
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I had a variant of the OP's problem - It was like that but not as bad and intermittent. Sometimes a "jitter" would affect a strip of the screen and then go away. It got progressively worse over the course of about the one week I had it. It didn't seem to be the gimbal, which was working fine. My guess is something loose inside the camera maybe, or a bad connection, who knows.

Here's hoping the new one doesn't have the problem too...

LS
2017-12-10
Use props
luciens
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Just by way of update, the exchange unit (done at our local BestBuy) was also defective, with a significantly worse version of the same problem. Gave up and exchanged for a P4P. There must have been a run of bad units or something like that that all ended up at our BestBuy. I still call that a pretty high defect rate...

LS
2017-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules