Waypoints mission
2045 19 2016-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans22aa3cea
lvl.4
Flight distance : 558173 ft
Italy

I'm trying to create a waypoint mission, but I  continuously get the  signal lost message (sometimes 30mt away, frankly upsetting), thus resetting every time all the points already recorded.

Is there a way to keep the recorded points, or to continue a previously recorded mission? This behavior is frankly annoying :-/
2016-12-15
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

I use the Litchi App ($24.99) for waypoints. And you can plan them before you fly and it doesn't matter if you lose the signal or not. A word of warning though, it will do everything you programmed it to do.
2016-12-15
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Same here, Litchi all the way. If your going to be really into Waypoints, it's worth every penny.
2016-12-15
Use props
DanD2
lvl.2
United States

Litchi app is the way to go. I'm having range issues with mine and pretty much fly it exclusively in the waypoint mode. I create my flights ahead of time, load them to the drone and let fly away!!!!
2016-12-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry you are experiencing this, what device are you using?
2016-12-15
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.3

Italy

litchi is solution, bu BEFORE, investigate ...why you lost connection:  what firmware do you have ?  have you set the antenna  vertical ?  are you fling ac 30 mt over your head? this is weird case, you must fly fair then high
2016-12-15
Use props
fans22aa3cea
lvl.4
Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-16 06:29
Sorry you are experiencing this, what device are you using?

I'm using a P3S. It seems to me that it loose connection more likely when I turn it around and, for example, it faces my right or left. When it's facing straight ahead or it's coming back to me, it seems to have more strong connection.

Anyway, this is the behavior since it came back from repairment last May.

I didn't notice it at first, because I was always flying straight ahead and taking pictures of surroundings, but now it's pretty clear to me that there's something wrong with it.

I am on the latest firmware and Dji Go app version on iPad, so I can only assume it's either a software problem, or a hardware problem that has been there since the beginning, because I didn't have any crash, neither minor accidents since last may when I got it back.
2016-12-18
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.3

United States

latest firm is 1.7.9 ...right ?
try using dji go 2.9
buy a windsurfer on ebay or if you have a 3d printer ...make it yourself "http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:946565"
put the antenna veretical or at 45 degrees (read manual)
SEI ITALIANO ? IO SI...ROMA
2016-12-18
Use props
fans22aa3cea
lvl.4
Italy

Hello Ciro,

Yes, I am using the latest firmware. Because I am on iOS, I can't really choose to downgrade the DJI Go App, short of some tricks I don't really think are worth the effort.

I actually bought a windsurfer, 'cause I wanted to try and give it a boost, range-wise, but I can't really say it helped at all.

Interesting link you posted, I'll give it a try, thank you!

...and yes, I'm from Italy too, Milan :-)
2016-12-18
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

RE: Waypoints mission

fans22aa3cea Posted at 2016-12-18 02:20
I'm using a P3S. It seems to me that it loose connection more likely when I turn it around and, for example, it faces my right or left. When it's facing straight ahead or it's coming back to me, it seems to have more strong connection.

The controller is more or less directional. If you don't more or less point at the Phantom, you will have a much weaker signal and you could loose connections. They all work this way. The top side where the antenna comes out must be facing the Phantom and that antenna should be positioned straight up and down.

2016-12-18
Use props
fans22aa3cea
lvl.4
Italy

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-18 12:47
The controller is more or less directional. If you don't more or less point at the Phantom, you will have a much weaker signal and you could loose connections. They all work this way. The top side where the antenna comes out must be facing the Phantom and that antenna should be positioned straight up and down.

That's exactly how I am using it. What I meant, is that the AC nose is pointing left or right when the connection drops down. Of course the RC is pointed with clear VLOS towards the AC, having the long side of the antenna aligned with the AC.

Besides, I could confirm the issue, because another P3S in the very same spot, at the very same time didn't show this problem.

2016-12-18
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Oh the AC is acting directional! Yeah that shouldn't be directional as it should work no matter which side is facing the controller. It isn't 100% perfectly 360° unidirectional. There is a couple of spots in rotation that could get slightly less like when one is lined up and blocking another antenna. I wouldn't think anything in the firmware would effect that. Looking at your Phantom, there should be a wire coming down each leg (except for one) and just ending at the bottom. These are your 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz antennas. All three wires look ok and all, right? Hmm... I wonder if one of them isn't connected inside?
2016-12-18
Use props
fans22aa3cea
lvl.4
Italy

They're both ok. I didn't look inside, but the AC went to repair to DJI for a crash in April, and came back in May : I assume it was tested and checked and everything should be all accounted for, shouldn't it? I had no incidents whatsoever since then, so i assume everything is also connected inside... at least, I hope they check it and connected everything if something was ever loose inside!
2016-12-18
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Yes it should have been checked out. Although it wouldn't be the first time a plug came loose. If that is what happened, it is hard to say if it happened from a DJI tech or due from rough handling during shipping.
2016-12-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans22aa3cea Posted at 2016-12-18 03:20

Does this only happen with a waypoint mission, or does it happen when you fly the aircraft as well.
If you are getting only 30 meters then disconnecting, something is not right.
Here's a video on antenna orientation, maybe it will help. Go to a wide open area and see if it still disconnects. The Phantom 3 Standard uses 2.4 WiFi for video and 5.8 for RC control and if you are trying to fly over a area with houses or buildings then you are probably getting lots of WiFI interference from everyones internet.

2016-12-18
Use props
fans22aa3cea
lvl.4
Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-18 17:01
Does this only happen with a waypoint mission, or does it happen when you fly the aircraft as well.
If you are getting only 30 meters then disconnecting, something is not right.
Here's a video on antenna orientation, maybe it will help. Go to a wide open area and see if it still disconnects. The Phantom 3 Standard uses 2.4 WiFi for video and 5.8 for RC control and if you are trying to fly over a area with houses or buildings then you are probably getting lots of WiFI interference from everyones internet.

Thanks DJI-Ken,

I always fly in open spaces with no homes around. When I fly straight ahead, I could reach to up to 200mt.
As I said, it seems to me that the connection tends to get lost when I'm turning the AC left or right.
Of course, when I'm creating waypoints I try to save them in different positions and that's why  - I think - it loose connection even in very short distances.
2016-12-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans22aa3cea Posted at 2016-12-18 10:42
Thanks DJI-Ken,

I always fly in open spaces with no homes around. When I fly straight ahead, I could reach to up to 200mt.

OK, seems you are doing everything correct. Please contact support and send your aircraft in for evaluation.
2016-12-18
Use props
fans22aa3cea
lvl.4
Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-19 04:09
OK, seems you are doing everything correct. Please contact support and send your aircraft in for evaluation.

I think I'll have to do so, but I would like to know:

I am in Europe, and the P3S was bought and activated in April: If DJI Service Support tells me that I have to pay for repairing the unit, and I decide not to pay, will I have the P3S back at no additional cost, or I will be charged for the delivery?
2016-12-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans22aa3cea Posted at 2016-12-21 05:48
I think I'll have to do so, but I would like to know:

I am in Europe, and the P3S was bought and activated in April: If DJI Service Support tells me that I have to pay for repairing the unit, and I decide not to pay, will I have the P3S back at no additional cost, or I will be charged for the delivery?

In the US that is the way it works, your would have to ask them if that would be the case.
And if you have not crashed your aircraft or it has no damage and you are getting that limited range then do not worry about it as it would be covered under the warranty.
2016-12-21
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.3

United States

But if not warranty, the cost maybe 200/300 euro...you should ship in netherland and to comeback without repair you must pay the shipment...i think 100 Euro ?
2016-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules