Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Operating Temperature < 32F
21113 15 2016-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
camchute
lvl.1
Flight distance : 985623 ft
United States

DJI specifies the minimum operating temperature as 32 degrees F.

Considering all the winter/snow aerial artwork that I see...I'm curious to know what your results have been for "actual" safe operating tempurates in cold weather.

Any problems with intelligent flight battery, contoller, mobile device, camera, gimbal, etc?

Thanks in advance.
2016-12-17
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 8330174 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This thread shows what happens in the cold.   You can fly in the cold, just make sure the bats are fully charged and warm.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 0&fromuid=47441
2016-12-17
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

You'll get some warning during the warm-up stage if the battery is below 59 degrees so keep it warm!  If you get this warning on the screen, it'll tell you to warm it to 77 degrees.  Been there.

Once I warmed the battery up, it flew in 36 degrees without an issue other than a bit longer warm up prior to launching it.  I think someone makes some battery warmer one could use too, or maybe some heat packs.  I just put it near the car's heater outlet until it felt warm.
2016-12-17
Use props
jorgerodrigues
lvl.1
Flight distance : 181781 ft
Switzerland

I already flew mine in the -2 to -4 C (25 to 28 F) without any problems, just took a bit to take off because of the heating period, then I just let it hover a bit. The battery just lasted a bit less due to the cold.
2016-12-17
Use props
jwt-873
First Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I just came in from a cold weather flight and sat down in front of the computer    The outside temperature is -25C (-13F).  

I warmed the battery to 25C (77F) by leaving it near a heat register in the house as I charged it.   The battery was that temperature when I took off.   Since the battery is enclosed and creates it own heat when in operation, it continued getting warmer during the flight. When I landed the battery temperature was up to 36C (96.8F).

I've made about 8 flights now at temps of -20C (-3F) and below.   I've had no issues with performance or shortened flight times.
2016-12-17
Use props
RickB
lvl.1
Canada

jwt-873 Posted at 2016-12-17 14:56
I just came in from a cold weather flight and sat down in front of the computer    The outside temperature is -25C (-13F).  

I warmed the battery to 25C (77F) by leaving it near a heat register in the house as I charged it.   The battery was that temperature when I took off.   Since the battery is enclosed and creates it own heat when in operation, it continued getting warmer during the flight. When I landed the battery temperature was up to 36C (96.8F).

which device you use jwt? Any prob with it?
2016-12-17
Use props
jwt-873
First Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I use an iPad Pro 9.7.

I cheat a bit and fly from inside my garage looking out a large window. I live in the country and fly around the fields that I can see northeast of my place.

The garage is not normally heated so it's not much warmer than it is outside, but the big thing is that there is no wind. (At -10F, even a 5 mph wind is very unpleasant).  

My normal flights are 15 - 18 minutes and the iPad hasn't had any problems operating in the cold for that long.   I suppose if I ran through a few batteries the sub zero weather would take its toll.   I've accidentally let my iPad get too cold by leaving it in my parked car for extended periods.  It won't run when it's too cold.  When I try to wake it up, it just displays a temperature warning...  I'm not sure what temperature triggers the warning, but I haven't seen it yet while flying.

2016-12-17
Use props
Trackerputnam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5728392 ft
United States

I have flown in temps below freezing a few times. We had the warning about a cold batt several of those times. Once it would not power up the drone. So we slid the drone case over next to the fire until it was real warm. Still had a cold battery warning but drone flew for 18 minutes with no problem. I am going to be going snowmobiling soon and plan to carry one of the batteries in an inside pocket of my snow suit. And will also put chemical hand warmers inside the case while driving around. I also could put a battery inside the engine compartment if going to make multiple flights from one position. I hope to have more info after this Christmas trip.
2016-12-17
Use props
camchute
lvl.1
United States

jwt-873 Posted at 2016-12-17 14:40
I use an iPad Pro 9.7.

I cheat a bit and fly from inside my garage looking out a large window. I live in the country and fly around the fields that I can see northeast of my place.

Too funny, I thought about operating from my garage when it gets cold, too.  I'm surrounded by 100+ acres of corn fields also.
2016-12-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

camchute Posted at 2016-12-19 06:40
Too funny, I thought about operating from my garage when it gets cold, too.  I'm surrounded by 100+ acres of corn fields also.

Never a good idea to take the RC unit indoors while the aircraft is flying outside, you will be reducing the radio range by doing that.
2016-12-18
Use props
fansb885c69e
Second Officer
Flight distance : 349419 ft
Canada

I have been out and about lately in about -8 C. The machine worked like a charm I had to cut my flights short as my fingers got too cold. Still I flew about 15 minutes and one flight was over 2500 meters. Today I flew in a light snow. Only for eight minutes as I was worried about moisture and no need to take to many chances. Great flight, it was warmer, so my fingers did not hurt.
2016-12-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

As others have mentioned, as long as you warm up the batteries prior to taking off, then you can fly in the cold.
2016-12-18
Use props
FA3AL43KL7
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-18 16:57
Never a good idea to take the RC unit indoors while the aircraft is flying outside, you will be reducing the radio range by doing that.

Agreed.  That's why I decided against it.  But thanks though.
2016-12-19
Use props
FA3AL43KL7
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-18 22:44
As others have mentioned, as long as you warm up the batteries prior to taking off, then you can fly in the cold.

Thanks much, Jamie!
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

You're welcome.
2016-12-19
Use props
EdM
Captain
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
Norway

fans82a39c9b Posted at 2016-12-19 21:28
Jamie, if, as you state, "you have to warm up the batteries prior to taking off, then you can fly in the cold" why then do DJI publish on the website that the battery operating temperature range is -10 to +40C?

If you are happy to accept degraded performance at lower battery temperatures within the DJI published battery temperature range why then do you need to warm the batteries prior to taking off?

The batteries perform in this temp range very well, as long as you follow some common sense precautions that are part and parcel to using any LiPo battery.   Lets start with the high end of the range.  Set so that when the outside temp is that high the batteries will not overheat in use.   They will be well over 40 C after a 15 minute flight.   Start off at 50 C and they may just get too hot.   On the low end I think it's set because some people dilly dally so long in getting ready for flight the battery would get too cold to put out proper amperage.  I feel the battery should be kept at least 50 F or higher before use.   If you do then you should be able to operate well below -10 C.   Easy to do, use a warmer or keep it inside your coat next to your body till just before use.

And it's not just DJI battereis, all LiPo's are similar.   If you think these are bad you should have had to fly back in the day of NiCads and NiMH batteries.........of course we were using them in RC airplanes cause we didn't have quads back then.
2016-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules