After market Landing gear. Any suggstio?
4281 19 2015-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wingnut.e.email
lvl.1

United States

Hello all. Well I'm going to upgrade my landing gear. My GoPro  and gimble sometimes touch the ground when I land in the grass. Any suggestions on a good brand but doesn't add too much weight?

Thanks
2015-2-12
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

There are some good landing gear options here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#Landing
2015-2-12
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

If you just want to raise it, try this made from 1 1/2" PVC cut 1/2" wide. Very cheap and light

extender.jpg
2015-2-12
Use props
wingnut.e.email
lvl.1

United States

I was just looking at retractable. I'll be adding weight but at least I won't see them in my videos. Who has experience with retractable's?
2015-2-12
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-13 06:19
If you just want to raise it, try this made from 1 1/2" PVC cut 1/2" wide. Very cheap and light

I think these will show up in the video.
2015-2-12
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-2-13 07:28
I think these will show up in the video.

The front left one does when the camera is pointed straight down but it is minor. I did say it was a cheap fix. I plan to use them until I find something easily removable and does not require moving the compass. They certainly will be good enough for training.
2015-2-12
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i know this is a double post but im putting it here in case others find this thread and not the other one.... thx guy for the thread find:

btw gang, kudos to capt bill for the pvc idea but i couldnt find that thread so im posting here.  the pvc works fantastic...

i wanted additional takeoff and landing clearance but didnt want to lose the ability for my two existing cases (one hard and one soft, but both requiring original landing skids). so i did capt bill's pvc idea, here is my results:

i cut 1/2" sections of 1.5" PVC. sanded the edges to avoid issues with gimbal wires. made a single slit through it. the tension of the ring with one slit holds it tight and the width of the pvc fits perfectly in the groove of the landing gear. the added bonus is that it takes seconds to install/uninstall and if i 'unclip' them (but instead of pulling them off i basically let them ring around the landing gear like rings on your finger, then they stay in place during transport and dont get in the way of the case. here is a pic in the 'transport' mode:

it has been working fantastic and i have basically the same landing footprint i had before.  thanks capt bill!  you rock dude.
2015-3-3
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

I just ordered the taller and wider landing gear and a new landing gear with the compass molded in.  I will be cutting out the compass from the new Phantom 2 v2 landing gear and placing it on the taller wider gear.  That will raise the camera and the wider gear will likely keep them out of camera view. I'm not sure if I will use cable ties or a better bonding method to attach the compass.
2015-3-3
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Mike from Phantom Help posted an image of what I was talking about in a recent post called "Taller and wider landing gear".  You should take a look at the image.
2015-3-3
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

@acenothing, mine do not show up in my video regardless of camera orientation (now i have a non-plus with a rotorpixel gimbal and bill has a plus so gimbal position might have somehting to do with that).
2015-3-3
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

gnixon  I cannot take all the credit. I ran it across it on the internet and thought I would share it here. I had to buy a short joint of pipe but it is still pretty cheap and works great. I think they also act as a shock absorber. I cut mine using a miter box and saw and cut the slot with a razor saw.
2015-3-3
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Well, the landing gear in the video was one thing.  The "wider" might still be of some benefit for stability on the ground.  Your PVC pipe application is wonderful for ease of removal for storage in the case. Did you weigh the 4 pipes?
2015-3-3
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

oak, my estimate for the weight of all 4 pieces of my PVC weigh around 30 grams in total based upon 1.5" PVC specs of just under .5 lbs per linear foot.
2015-3-3
Use props
kentoe
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the PVC suggestion, absolutely what I needed. I just went to the store last night and picked some up. Holds extremely well. Only thing I'm worried about is it getting in the shots of the GoPro. Gotta do some testing soon when the weather is great
2015-4-9
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

I changed my mind... I installed Vision Plus gear on the Phantom 2 V2.0.  It raised the camera about 1/2 inch... It was worth it to me!
2015-4-9
Use props
njinspector2012
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96903 ft
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-3 20:39
i know this is a double post but im putting it here in case others find this thread and not the othe ...

What camera is that attached to the Phantom?
Can you post a link for the specs?
Thanks
2015-7-19
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

njinspector2012 Posted at 2015-7-20 04:42
What camera is that attached to the Phantom?
Can you post a link for the specs?
Thanks

that is the regular phantom 2 VISION camera (egg shaped). He just added a aftermarket 2 axis gimbal and has a filter on the lens.
2015-7-20
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

I have the taller wider gear on mine and have 2 short peices of PVC strapped to each side on outide of legs to keep from tipping fore and aft when landing.
2015-7-20
Use props
njinspector2012
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96903 ft
United States

Kilted Flyer (D Posted at 2015-7-21 01:24
that is the regular phantom 2 VISION camera (egg shaped). He just added a aftermarket 2 axis gimba ...

the one on the drone, upside down?
2015-7-22
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

njinspector2012 Posted at 2015-7-23 01:14
the one on the drone, upside down?

yes, the one in both pictures is the stock p2v non-plus camera with a rotorpixel gimbal
2015-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules