Workaround for app crashing in Android
5230 14 2016-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe8578f6
New

United States

https://youtu.be/LuLhpRtOeQc

The app constantly crashes in Android 7.1.1. I tried a few things and got it to work! Hasn't crashed since! Walkthrough in the video.
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Thanks a lot for posting this. I'm sure this will help users that may be having a similar issue with this unsupported phone. I'll forward this to our dev team to see it helps speed up any bug fixing on their end.
2016-12-19
Use props
fansfe8578f6
New

United States

Great, DJI Joe... Hope it helps!
2016-12-19
Use props
ZT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11316 ft
Canada

Thanks for sharing, I've just tried this on my Google Pixel XL, however my default settings for smallest width was set to 411 dpi
When I changed the smallest width to 478 as you suggested, it did not solve the problem.
My app still crashes when I launch the app if and only if I'm holding the phone sideways in landscape mode.

DJI Joe, I'm a little surprised and disappointed to hear the pixel phone is not supported. Do you know if DJI plans to support the pixel in the future?
2016-12-22
Use props
fans1da86281
lvl.2
Flight distance : 586424 ft
United States

ZT Posted at 2016-12-22 10:40
Thanks for sharing, I've just tried this on my Google Pixel XL, however my default settings for smallest width was set to 411 dpi
When I changed the smallest width to 478 as you suggested, it did not solve the problem.
My app still crashes when I launch the app if and only if I'm holding the phone sideways in landscape mode.

Turning off Auto Screen rotate solves the problem for me. Also, as mentioned above keeping the phone in portrait (Vertical) position until the app is started also solves the problem.
2017-2-1
Use props
SteveGmavic 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 653524 ft
Canada

fans1da86281 Posted at 2017-2-1 10:22
Turning off Auto Screen rotate solves the problem for me. Also, as mentioned above keeping the phone in portrait (Vertical) position until the app is started also solves the problem.

I wish that worked for me
but i can launch dji go 4 but if i try to log in is when it chrashes
any other ideas
2017-2-1
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

DJI Joe Posted at 2016-12-19 17:20
Thanks a lot for posting this. I'm sure this will help users that may be having a similar issue with this unsupported phone. I'll forward this to our dev team to see it helps speed up any bug fixing on their end.

I don't think the app crashing is the actual phone, I think it is Android 7.1.1
I did not have a problem until my phone updated to that version. Now I have to keep it in portrait  until the app is loaded and has started, then I can turn to landscape mode.
And now, I am getting the app crashing while I am flying. No idea where to look to find out what is causing the crash.Something else I might add is that a couple of my other apps no longer functioned fully under 7.1.1 An example wasw a weather app which no longer displayed weather warnings on the front screen. I reported the problems to the app writers and they fixed them. Not sure if this is any way related but your app writers need to look at the compatibility of the DJI GO 4 app and android 7.1.1 before we get drones crashing as a result of the app failing during flight if that has not already happened.
2017-2-1
Use props
dronesnz64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101332 ft
New Zealand

ZT Posted at 2016-12-22 10:40

I'm surprised as well that the Nexus/Pixel phones, the phones that are technically the most "Android" phones out there, are unsupported by DJI GO 4. Surely, they should work just as reliably as the iPhone
2017-2-2
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

DJI Joe Posted at 2016-12-19 17:20

Hi Joe! Dev Monkey here!

I'm pretty sure your dev monkeys can also read stack overflow, but this is a known issue in Android as they've changed how some things are drawn in the latest version.

I'm copying the solution from this thread on stack overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questio ... lay-size-set-larger

-----------------------------------------
I my case, moving the (hi-res) splash bitmap from drawable to drawable-xxhdpi was the solution.

I had the same problem. I didn't suspect my splash screen to be the problem, since it is displayed when the app is started, but it turned out the splash screen is the problem.

The splash screen in my case has xxhdpi resolution, and it was mistakenly placed in the drawable folder, instead of drawable-xxhdpi. This made Android assume the splash screen had mdpi resolution and scale the image to 3*3 times it's required size and trying to create a bitmap.
--------------------------------------------

So yeah, pass it over. 1 minute solution, 5 minutes unit testing, 1 hour integration testing, roll it out and you get all the Android 7 users happy.
2017-2-2
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1880 ft
United States

does anyone know where to find the list of supported phones? I have been searching and cant find it. thanks for the help.
2017-2-2
Use props
nicjames
lvl.1

United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-2-2 06:06
does anyone know where to find the list of supported phones? I have been searching and cant find it. thanks for the help.

The only list I could find is here under the "APP / Live View" Section, it's not an enormous list of devices but I'm sure they will keep working on testing : http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
2017-2-4
Use props
fans8f193def
lvl.1

Chile

Nexus 6, 7.1.1
One crash off dji app 4 per 20 min of flight aprox.

What seems to help is disabled autorotation, disable power optimization settings in battery settings. Close all othrr apps, airplane mode with gps on, off wifi & Bluetooth.

When mine crashes, restarting and re-achieving connection to the Mavic takes like 3 secs. Not nice.
2017-2-4
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Just turn off Auto Rotate screen - Job done.
2017-2-4
Use props
beo1329
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87657 ft
Hungary

Lol, a solution was posted by Dev Monkey and DJI is not even responding. There are still crashes reported out there...
2017-5-8
Use props
skpManiac
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1092589 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DJI rarely respond - this issue is annoying thousands of users and DJI do not care, they just seem to be Apple fans and Android users do not matter!

I am currently online looking to buy another brand of drone!
2017-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules