Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic forced landing???
12Next >
5815 51 2016-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I noticed the last few flights with mavic when ever I pull the throttle back to drop altitude a red x appears on left of screen and it starts to automatically land??? Also while hovering about 200 feet the mavic starts to climb with no stick input, it went from 200 feet up to 400 on its own when I finally brought it home. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
2016-12-21
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
Flight distance : 363862 ft
United States

first thing I would do is replay your flight on the dji go app watching the altitude and your throttle positions to see if it is a controller or mavic issue.
2016-12-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Is firmwear up to date, did you do a stick calibration?
2016-12-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please clarify your current firmware version? Please sync your flight records and provide me with your DJI account email. I'll help to check it.
Is your DJI account email the same as your forum email?
2016-12-22
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-21 15:19
Is firmwear up to date, did you do a stick calibration?

Firmware up to date, I will try the stick calibration.
2016-12-22
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-12-22 12:36
Firmware up to date, I will try the stick calibration.

Screenrecord your flysession with stickoverlay and show us to learn.
2016-12-22
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105558 ft
United States

I'm having same issues

http://forum.dji.com/thread-77251-1-1.html
2016-12-22
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Check the Camera and Sonar sensors on the bottom of the mavic, might be along shot but it sounds like its somehow wrongly detecting the ground.
2016-12-22
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 319514 ft
Canada

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-22 09:08
Check the Camera and Sonar sensors on the bottom of the mavic, might be along shot but it sounds like its somehow wrongly detecting the ground.

I have the same issue and believe this is the problem
I tried VPS calib and that doesn't help...

About to try a factory reset ... will keep you updated
2016-12-24
Use props
braddahjosh808
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1868376 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-21 22:12
Could you please clarify your current firmware version? Please sync your flight records and provide me with your DJI account email. I'll help to check it.
Is your DJI account email the same as your forum email?

DJI Mindy,

I just created a new thread about this yesterday and no one has gotten back to me. My mavic started a force landing with 9 minutes of battery left and I couldn't do anything to cancel it. There were no warnings or low battery indicators. I almost lost my drone! This happened when I switched to using the DJI GO 4 app. Prior to this I had 58 flights on the original DJI GO app and no issues.

Here is the link to my thread. http://forum.dji.com/thread-77435-1-1.html

Could someone please take a look at my flight logs?

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=dMzlIS

It shows that a force landing was initiated but WHY???
2016-12-24
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

Curious, why was it recording your altitude over 500ft?
2016-12-24
Use props
braddahjosh808
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

colonel00 Posted at 2016-12-24 13:03
Curious, why was it recording your altitude over 500ft?

I was flying at 500ft
2016-12-24
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.2
Canada

braddahjosh808 Posted at 2016-12-24 15:38
DJI Mindy,

I just created a new thread about this yesterday and no one has gotten back to me. My mavic started a force landing with 9 minutes of battery left and I couldn't do anything to cancel it. There were no warnings or low battery indicators. I almost lost my drone! This happened when I switched to using the DJI GO 4 app. Prior to this I had 58 flights on the original DJI GO app and no issues.

Force landing = you holding the down stick at a 100% for a few seconds

Also as an update - factory reset does not solve this issue
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.2
Canada

Danny you are right -
I carefully paid attention to my VPS - the Mavic will start ascending without input and refuse descend commands when the VPS displays 0.1 out of nowhere (20 meters off the ground) - when the reading is normal again, it allows me to start descending for a few seconds before changing back once again.
2016-12-25
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3773 ft
  • >>>
Poland

I have the exact same issue! Nearly lost my drone over a highway. What idiotic system is this? I do not want to start a landing 100 m above ground! Any updates?
2016-12-25
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.2
  • >>>
Poland

I tried doing a bit of troubleshooting, and what I noticed is that the problem seems to be somewhat less in sport mode. In terms of holding down the stick, it seems to me that the drone in normal mode doesn't seem to descend, it's either forced landing or no descent at all. Regardless of how careful I am tilting the left stick. I've also checked and there's no foreign objects or damage to the bottom sensors. The drone just simply won't descend it goes into full forced landing....
2016-12-25
Use props
Delsonrus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4096877 ft
United States

JegerLars Posted at 2016-12-25 09:00
I tried doing a bit of troubleshooting, and what I noticed is that the problem seems to be somewhat less in sport mode. In terms of holding down the stick, it seems to me that the drone in normal mode doesn't seem to descend, it's either forced landing or no descent at all. Regardless of how careful I am tilting the left stick. I've also checked and there's no foreign objects or damage to the bottom sensors. The drone just simply won't descend it goes into full forced landing....

The same problem here. In sport mode it's a little bit more stable and not ascending by itself as fast as in regular mode. But still, I can't land it normally without using auto land mode.
Today I checked VPS sensors at home by slowly lifting the drone from the floor and while I was doing it VPS showed strange clearance -- it slowly went from 0.3ft up to 1.9ft and then dropped to 1.3ft while I was still lifting it up.
2016-12-25
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.2
  • >>>
Poland

A temporary fix could be to maybe turn off the VPS sensors - but won't the drone be potentially unstable? Has there been any official statement by DJI on this bug?
2016-12-25
Use props
Jan_Leh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3333 ft
Germany

JegerLars Posted at 2016-12-25 17:40
A temporary fix could be to maybe turn off the VPS sensors - but won't the drone be potentially unstable? Has there been any official statement by DJI on this bug?

I had the same issue with my Mavic and constant forced auto landings even in high altitudes above 50m.

I disabled the VPS sensors last days, the problem (seems) to stop and the Mavic is behaving (decending) normally. However, would be great to know why the VPS sensors leads to such errors. I dont buy a drone for 1200€ and i cant use all sensors, its a big joke..,

Does anyone get any help from DJI site, telling us what is the matter in this case? Several Mavic pilots seems to have this same issue with forced landings...
2016-12-25
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

Jan_Leh - how does the drone behave in the air without VPS in terms of overall performance - can the machine be used almost normally without them?
2016-12-25
Use props
braddahjosh808
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

WilliamDJI Posted at 2016-12-25 22:43
Force landing = you holding the down stick at a 100% for a few seconds

Also as an update - factory reset does not solve this issue

I was fly at 500ft above he ground and was trying to descend when it initiated a force landing. I've never had this happen to me before.
2016-12-25
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

You guys deffo have faulty VPS sensors (most likely the sonar) disabling the VPS will stop the issue, but at the risk collision from not being able to detect obstables .... they need to bed RMA'd i'd say.

Take a quick video of the drones (indoors no motors running) the video will pickup the sonar clicks beter than human hearing .. but in any case, i think you have faulty mavics.
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

braddahjosh808 Posted at 2016-12-25 04:38
DJI Mindy,

I have replied you on your thread.
Please upload the flight data. Our engineers will help to review it.
2016-12-25
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

Can confirm, turning off the VPS allows more normal flight characteristics. Anyone tried calibrating the VPS via DJI assistant? I live in Norway, would hate to send the drone all the way to China if not absolutely necessary...
2016-12-26
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

wow, that probably isnt good, espesially the 200 ft climb
2016-12-26
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

maybe a bug flew under it? would that trigger climb? but 200 ft climb?? a little excessive I think
2016-12-26
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

Jan_Leh Posted at 2016-12-25 13:10
I had the same issue with my Mavic and constant forced auto landings even in high altitudes above 50m.

I disabled the VPS sensors last days, the problem (seems) to stop and the Mavic is behaving (decending) normally. However, would be great to know why the VPS sensors leads to such errors. I dont buy a drone for 1200€ and i cant use all sensors, its a big joke..,

I would think that is a big issue, I hope DJI comes up with something
2016-12-26
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.2
  • >>>
Poland

Delsonrus Posted at 2016-12-25 17:30
The same problem here. In sport mode it's a little bit more stable and not ascending by itself as fast as in regular mode. But still, I can't land it normally without using auto land mode.
Today I checked VPS sensors at home by slowly lifting the drone from the floor and while I was doing it VPS showed strange clearance -- it slowly went from 0.3ft up to 1.9ft and then dropped to 1.3ft while I was still lifting it up.

Delsonrus - how did calibrating the VPS with DJI assistant turn out?
2016-12-26
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.2
Canada

JegerLars Posted at 2016-12-26 14:00

I tried that and it didn't help a bit
2016-12-26
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WilliamDJI Posted at 2016-12-26 23:08
I tried that and it didn't help a bit

I had a phantom 3 Pro that did this unstable flight, where it would climb even though not commanded to do so, the vps indicated it was descending but in fact it would climb. Replaced the VPS unit and the problem went away.

Looks like you have a faulty drone(s)  so sadly it's RMA time.
2016-12-26
Use props
Delsonrus
lvl.2
United States

JegerLars Posted at 2016-12-26 13:00

I had just one flight today during which none of the symptoms showed up. I will try flying more later this week to make sure calibrating VPS actually helped
2016-12-26
Use props
fans7fc79ecf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 126778 ft
Italy

I have the same problem at 200 mt
2016-12-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Delsonrus Posted at 2016-12-26 18:22
I had just one flight today during which none of the symptoms showed up. I will try flying more later this week to make sure calibrating VPS actually helped

Same here, every time I think the issue has resolved, it comes back to haunt me.
2016-12-30
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.2
  • >>>
Japan

Happy new year everyone!

I did a recalibrate of the VPS sensors (fore and below) and did a test flight today. Normal mode.

The "upwards autodrift/forced autolanding glitch" happened - the drone drifted upwards right into some pine-trees and naturally crashed spectacularly.
So what now DJI? I´ve tried troubleshooting but the drone (if still flyable) is a hazard.

RMA time?

Thanks for any help!
2017-1-1
Use props
fans707604b2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51066 ft
United Kingdom

Calibrating the VPS sensors didn't make any difference for me, and the mavic still tried to land whenever the left stick was pushed down.  The main symptom that shows up on the controller is the ground clearance value is completely wrong.  I notice that initially when ascending after take off, the clearance is shown incrementing up as expected.  Eventually though when the craft gets to about 20m, it suddenly starts registering ~0.1m.  At this point, whenever any attempt to descend is registered on the controller, the mavic overrides because it thinks it is in close proximity to the ground and starts to auto land.

Using RTH also triggers this issue for me.  After starting a RTH, the mavic returns to it's starting location, and then I see a message on the controller saying that altitude is below 0.5m and confirm that I want to continue landing.  When this message is displayed, the craft is 30m in the air, altitude is shown as 30m, but clearance is showing 0.1m.

I hope this is just a firmware bug rather than a sensor issue, and the fact that many people are reporting it recently does seem to indicate this is likely.  
2017-1-1
Use props
Delsonrus
lvl.2
United States

Delsonrus Posted at 2016-12-26 18:22

So today I had my second flight after recalibrating VPS and the problem returned. All the symptoms were the same -- drone drifted upwards by itself. The only thing which helped was disabling VPS.

DJI Mindy: I've synchronized my flights and my email is the same as here, could you please look in to my latest flight? The bad thing happened on 2nd minute of the flight, where drone ascended from 130 ft up to 300ft without any input on the stick. After than I disabled VPS. Thanks!Correction: for some reason my latest flight doesn't want to synchronize, so you can see the same behaviour on last uploaded flight (Dec 24, 2016) starting from 2nd minute.
2017-1-1
Use props
braddahjosh808
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Can someone point me to the directions to calibrate the VPS?

Thanks!
2017-1-1
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

One thing for note to all - I just checked my flight records on healthy drones and... most landings are "Mode changed to FORCE LANDING". When I hover the craft and then apply the stick down the craft stops about half a meter in the air and only after awhile goes down again and lands and then when I keep the stick down the engines stop. I do fly with VPS on and had not had the problems you all are talking about (but also I haven't flown that much due to the weather) but the notification itself is a bit off. Maybe the software should be adjusted a bit for that. I do have the latest firmware and latest DJI Go 4 app.

One other thing - do you guys have the options for moving up and back in the VPS switched on? I did look at those options and decided to leave them alone - I'd rather the drone stop in front of the obstruction and hover as opposed to going backwards - in case of a bird or a dirty VPS camera this could become an problem rather quickly. Just my two cents here.

2017-1-1
Use props
fansbcbcf80d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2443947 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Ok! Same thing happened with me today!
Here is the flight log http://healthydrones.com/main?share=QxZhDd
Please do something. Force landing midair is not the good idea!
2017-1-13
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.2
  • >>>
Japan

So did 3 VPS calibrations, one IMU calibration and one stick calibration. Went for a test flight today. Excellent weather, sunlight, midday. VPS should be thriving.
Hovers 50 meters above ground (height registers correctly), bird tells me I have 0,0-0,5 to maybe 1-2 meters (ground) clearance - and the value flickers, as if the sensors are all jittery. Appropriately, whenever I tried to descend, the craft would start autolanding, because naturally, it believes it is just above ground.

So to bring it down, I disabled VPS and precision landing. It now flies ok. Sure, it has no clue of what ground clearance it has, but I can compensate by piloting more aware etc.
So Ive concluded that currently, the VPS is just a hazard, it serves no purpose and makes it impossible to bring the craft down.

What to do?  Wait for a software update or RMA? Or just ignore the VPS as some failed experimental sensor and fly on without it?
2017-1-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules