Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Pro Crash Side Obstacle Avoidande didn't work
5592 28 2016-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djinayda
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

Can This Happen?
2016-12-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes, it certainly can, and that pilot obviously had no idea what to expect. He mentions testing the 'optical' obstacle avoidance, which is only fitted to the front and rear of the aircraft. The side version uses infrared detection, and despite DJI saying it should be able to detect trees, there have been several reviews showing that is cannotv reliably detect them.
2016-12-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-21 22:30
Yes, it certainly can, and that pilot obviously had no idea what to expect. He mentions testing the 'optical' obstacle avoidance, which is only fitted to the front and rear of the aircraft. The side version uses infrared detection, and despite DJI saying it should be able to detect trees, there have been several reviews showing that is cannotv reliably detect them.

It clearly says in the manual (Twice) while using Active track avoid branches and power lines .
2016-12-21
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also the big thing about the side sensors is they are only active in beginner and tripod mode. I didn't watch the video so I don't know who what mode they were in, just speculating.
2016-12-21
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

As it says in the manual the side sensors only work in Beginner and Tripod mode.
There are also limitations to the conditions and objects that the object avoidance system will work with.
Check the manual for details.  There is a list on p23.
2016-12-21
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ok, just watched it, completely pilot error as he wasn't aware of the limitations of the sensors. Active track will not make use of the side sensors.  
2016-12-21
Use props
airspace_media
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190 ft
Australia

This is really important guys. external factors can cause aircraft heading to change while in intelligent flight modes and it could be very risky. This is why VLOS is always best.
I cover the sensors/OA of tap fly here and show you why you can't necessarily trust them every time here
2016-12-21
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I originally liked the idea of sensors until I played with them and realized they screwed my shots up. I guess they're good for beginners, but they have to read the manual for that.
2016-12-21
Use props
djinayda
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-21 18:56
It clearly says in the manual (Twice) while using Active track avoid branches and power lines .

so side sensors only work in tripod mode?
2016-12-21
Use props
djinayda
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-21 18:56

so you think warranty will cover?
2016-12-21
Use props
djinayda
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-21 20:34
Also the big thing about the side sensors is they are only active in beginner and tripod mode. I didn't watch the video so I don't know who what mode they were in, just speculating.

it wasn't in beginner mode. I didn't know that they only work in beginner mode. Damn. It detected the branch cause you can hear beeping but it didn't stop. So warranty is not going to cover this?
2016-12-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

airspace_media Posted at 2016-12-22 08:49
This is really important guys. external factors can cause aircraft heading to change while in intelligent flight modes and it could be very risky. This is why VLOS is always best.
I cover the sensors/OA of tap fly here and show you why you can't necessarily trust them every time here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bKU18489u8

Well done with the video. I was dubious of the use of the paper images initially, but settled in and found it a very good way of communicating the concepts. Thumbs up, and looking forward to the others.
2016-12-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djinayda Posted at 2016-12-22 03:00
it wasn't in beginner mode. I didn't know that they only work in beginner mode. Damn. It detected the branch cause you can hear beeping but it didn't stop. So warranty is not going to cover this?

Warranty would depend on you reading the Manual, so it might not, I think you should talk nicely to dji , in there video advertising they do not explain clearly or not at all exact workings of OA, But are very quick to trump there cause that p4p has alround OA , I would argue the case with them on those grounds and they may come to a deal with you. Good luck..
2016-12-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

djinayda Posted at 2016-12-22 10:58
so side sensors only work in tripod mode?

Here is the screenshot for your reference. infrared sensing system.png
2016-12-22
Use props
djinayda
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

thank you. I appreciate the info. I will try to do that. I sent it yesterday to them. I was trying to get parts cost but DJI doesn't have that on the site.
2016-12-23
Use props
Whitetail UP
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-22 05:32
Here is the screenshot for your reference.[view_image]

So if the unit is in beginner mode and you have run the same manual flight repeatedly with testing the RTH, then on the last flight the unit shoots up after turning around, pauses shoots up higher in the air again, then decends towards you at a high rate of speed gets within about 10 ft of the landing area stops and shoots back up into overhanging tree branches probably 60 ft up and comes crashing to the ground. Is it my fault??
2016-12-26
Use props
AlaskanTides
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Just watching the video makes me cringe a bit..... hovering that close to a building and a tree for any length of time is asking for trouble.  an unexpected  wind gust can force the drone into the building are the tree ... then you nor the drone sensors will not have time to react.

You also run  the risk of losing GPS... In which case  the aircraft is going to default to Atti and begin to drift.... If you're not prepared to respond,  then thats another oops.

Forget about the sensors on you're drone... Until you start advanced flight(forget they even exist). its important to learn what the sensors do and how and when to shut them off.

However for starters you need to learn to perform a risk assessment and identify all the hazards, then incorporate a failsafe for those hazard's into your flight plan.... thats the most important step of all.

You might have to fly that close to a building are a tree to get the results you want ..... but you will learn tricks and the proper way to do those things over time as you're skills grow...  

Simply put..... you made multiple bad decisions with that flight..... that was pilot error all the way around. However you will learn from it and one day you will look back and realize how silly that video truly was and laugh.

Look to the future and Safe flying ....and do not let it get you down... no one was hurt and you learned allot .
2016-12-26
Use props
Rogen
lvl.1

Bangladesh

I originally liked the idea of sensors until I played with them and realized they screwed my shots up.
2016-12-27
Use props
Abaco305
Second Officer
Flight distance : 316772 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-22 05:32
Here is the screenshot for your reference.[view_image]

Hope that changes in future updates.
2016-12-27
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Abaco305 Posted at 2016-12-27 05:30
Hope that changes in future updates.

It probably won't due to the infrared sensors not being able to work in faster speeds, that's why it's just for those 2 modes.
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Whitetail UP Posted at 2016-12-27 11:45
So if the unit is in beginner mode and you have run the same manual flight repeatedly with testing the RTH, then on the last flight the unit shoots up after turning around, pauses shoots up higher in the air again, then decends towards you at a high rate of speed gets within about 10 ft of the landing area stops and shoots back up into overhanging tree branches probably 60 ft up and comes crashing to the ground. Is it my fault??

I cannot confirm if this is pilot error. It's better to sent it in.
Our engineers will help to analyse the flight data and let you know what could have caused the issue.
2016-12-27
Use props
djinayda
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-12-26 20:37
Just watching the video makes me cringe a bit..... hovering that close to a building and a tree for any length of time is asking for trouble.  an unexpected  wind gust can force the drone into the building are the tree ... then you nor the drone sensors will not have time to react.

You also run  the risk of losing GPS... In which case  the aircraft is going to default to Atti and begin to drift.... If you're not prepared to respond,  then thats another oops.

Thank  You for writing
2016-12-29
Use props
djinayda
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-12-26 20:37

Thank  You for writing . Very helpful.
2016-12-29
Use props
djinayda
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

Rogen Posted at 2016-12-27 00:45
I originally liked the idea of sensors until I played with them and realized they screwed my shots up.

yeah they actually make the aircraft fly too shaky.
2016-12-29
Use props
Whitetail UP
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-27 22:15
I cannot confirm if this is pilot error. It's better to sent it in.
Our engineers will help to analyse the flight data and let you know what could have caused the issue.

CAS-381097-C9R8V2

Its on its way to you.
2016-12-29
Use props
fansc8de520c
New
Flight distance : 225758 ft
United States

Yep. Found that out the hard way.Why in the world would the sensors NOT be active all the time?
2017-8-25
Use props
MrDave
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1159331 ft
United States

djinayda Posted at 2016-12-21 18:59
so you think warranty will cover?

No, I doubt the warranty will cover it. However, if you had purchased DJI Care Refresh at a cost of $149.00. Then for a replacement fee of $99.00, on your first occurrence of a destructive crash, you could have had an as new refurbished unit replace your destroyed unit.
2017-8-25
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fansc8de520c Posted at 2017-8-25 21:24
Yep. Found that out the hard way.Why in the world would the sensors NOT be active all the time?

All sensors, esp the infrared sensors on the side, require processing time.
If all sensors would be on all the time the drone wouldn't be able to fly fast.
That's why in sports mode all sensors are being deactivated.
2017-8-26
Use props
m1shootr
First Officer
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

I have no sympathy. I Think the obstacle avoidance system is a way for DJI to make a lot more money. Very clever.  Therefore, I put no reliance on it.
2017-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules