Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Electromagnetic Interference?
6364 17 2016-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zach5150
lvl.3
Flight distance : 225148 ft
Germany

I'm in Heidelberg Germany on vacation and have been trying to get some flight time in. Several times, in different parts of town I've gotten the a warning indicating 'Strong magnetic interference which could cause RC control issues' (or something similar, not verbatim) This warning has occurred prior to takeoff, so I've moved the mavic to another area near the original launch location and sometimes the warning no longer appears and other times it continues to come up unless I move to a completely different location.  

I'm more RF savvy than many and I understand RF and electromagnetic interference fairly well. I'm not an Electrical Engineer but I was a Navy Electronics technician, worked in the semiconductor industry with RF and microwave, and in cellular test labs doing RF parametric testing.

Evaluating the launch areas where I've received this warning, I don't see any obvious signs of EM interfere. No transformers. No antenna masts or cell towers. No overhead power lines. Nothing metallic in the area. Nothing obvious. I suppose there could be something underground such as power lines, piping, or something of the sort, but has anyone else experienced this? I didn't see this warning one single time when flying back in the US. Is there something unique about European city infrastructure (underground cabling, etc...) that I'm unaware of?

I'm on the latest v1.03 firmware.

2016-12-22
Use props
BuzzCut
Second Officer

United States

I'm also no RF engineer (although I work in the telecom industry and have a working knowledge).  The only thing that's more common in Europe is underground power lines.

Having also worked in the computer industry the only things that fail more than components are the sensors that are meant to monitor components.  Maybe it's just a little grumpy, or the calibration is overly sensitive?

One test: does the warning persist if you raise the Mavic, say, 30 feet off the ground?
2016-12-22
Use props
yHS0eU90xE7Q
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2313 ft
United States

The only time I received any sort of message like that was when I was calibrating and remembered I had a magnetic bracelet on ..
2016-12-22
Use props
StanKC
lvl.1

Canada

I have that warning when I was in my office which is a big concrete steel beam building, no GPS, prevented to take off even after the calibration dance.

I have that also in my home office which tends to have a lot of electronics, no issue in taking off tho.

I also have that warning when I was outdoor but on a bridge with at decommissioned train track on it.  As long as GPS locked, everything is green and good to go.

All I have to say is that my old Phantom 3 Pro is a lot less supseptable to this magnetic interference.

2016-12-22
Use props
Harbourside
Captain
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

"I have that warning when I was in my office which is a big concrete steel beam building, no GPS, prevented to take off even after the calibration dance."

I would highly recommend that you only calibrate the compass when far away from any magnetic interference, do it once, but do it wright.
If you re-calibrate when interference is detected you run the risk of the Mavic behaving strangely when it clears the interference once airborne.
2016-12-22
Use props
Marathon Journe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31670 ft
United States

I get the error if I forget to NOT carry my cordless phone out to the pad. As soon as I move the phone 20' away, everything is fine.
2016-12-22
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.4

Canada

I got this a couple times. Once while it was sitting on my coffee table and another time while it was sitting on top of my old metal car. Soon as I removed it, it went away. Very sensitive sensors.
These drones have came so far from my original P1. We literally had to determine everything from the light sequence before take off lol. These Mavics tell you everything!
2016-12-23
Use props
Diamond Edge
New
Flight distance : 76719 ft
United States

I have also experienced this.  Here is a snapshot. . I do also have a log file. . It did fly away.  I was able to regain control. . No damage.  
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI Dirk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5915 ft

I experienced the electromagnetic interference problem with my Mavic Air when I tried to fly in an area with high voltage overhead power lines. I was not close to them but they were visible from the location where I wanted to take off. Currently I am on vacation in Europe in an area with many overhead power lines. During the past 14 days I have not been able to fly because of the electromagnetic interference message. Therefore I believe that in my case the overhead power lines are the cause for the interference message. Can anyone agree?
2018-7-15
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

DJI Dirk Posted at 2018-7-15 10:54
I experienced the electromagnetic interference problem with my Mavic Air when I tried to fly in an area with high voltage overhead power lines. I was not close to them but they were visible from the location where I wanted to take off. Currently I am on vacation in Europe in an area with many overhead power lines. During the past 14 days I have not been able to fly because of the electromagnetic interference message. Therefore I believe that in my case the overhead power lines are the cause for the interference message. Can anyone agree?

One cannot rule out you're right in your view, but I personally think your problem should be found somewhere else. I have often flown over, under and around high-voltage cables without so much a single message from the app and without experiencing problems at all.

Instead, think about what you carry on yourself, such as an Apple watch or other electronics. Also consider if there could be something hidden in the ground below you or in the immediate surroundings.
2018-7-15
Use props
DJI Dirk
lvl.1

Thank you for your view. Tomorrow I will try to move my MA to an open field and try again to see what happens. I am a bit tired (frustrated) to see the same message each time I try to fly.
2018-7-15
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-7-15 11:08
One cannot rule out you're right in your view, but I personally think your problem should be found somewhere else. I have often flown over, under and around high-voltage cables without so much a single message from the app and without experiencing problems at all.

Instead, think about what you carry on yourself, such as an Apple watch or other electronics. Also consider if there could be something hidden in the ground below you or in the immediate surroundings.

I agree and have also flown near a sub-station and the lines coming to and from them (the wires). I have flown near one set of the transmission lines coming from the coal plant to the distro station.
2018-7-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Next time you get ''Strong magnetic interference'', use GO-4 App to look at Mavic Pro's Magnetic Interference for both Compasses (under Advanced Menu / Sensor State / Compasses).
See what color bars are, and associated readings.

Move Mavic Pro to an area where it shows no Magnetic Interference.  Then check Mavic Pro's Magnetic Interference for both Compasses.  Both bars should be short, Green, and have low associated readings, less than 60.   If I move my Mavic Pro P to large grass field, 100-yards away from anything, readings are below 10.
If bars are not short and Green, move Mavic Pro around in that area till bars are as short as possible.
If you can't get short Green bars with associated readings below 60 - You may need to Calibrate Compasses (two sets of magnetic field strength detectors for XYZ axis) for part of world you are in.

You can download Magnetic Field Strength Apps for iPhone iOS or Smartphone's Android OS that will detect Magnetic Fields and show you strength in Gauss or micro-Teslas.  I have used Apps to detect hidden sources of Magnetic Interference.  Such as rebar in concrete, buried pipeline, and underground power.
2018-7-15
Use props
DJI Dirk
lvl.1
Germany

FlyDK Posted at 2018-7-15 11:08

Instead, think about what you carry on yourself, such as an Apple watch or other electronics. Also consider if there could be something hidden in the ground below you or in the immediate surroundings.

You were probably correct. After a few weeks without the possibility of flying I have managed to get writ of the electromagnetic interference message. Still not sure what caused it but at least I can fly again. Thanks for your help.
2018-7-18
Use props
DJI Dirk
lvl.1
Germany

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-15 12:40
Next time you get ''Strong magnetic interference'', use GO-4 App to look at Mavic Pro's Magnetic Interference for both Compasses (under Advanced Menu / Sensor State / Compasses).
See what color bars are, and associated readings.

I have the Mavic Air For which (I think) the GO-4 app has not the same possibilities as for the Mavic Pro. Fortunately I have been able to get writ of the electromagnetic interference message and I hope this will not come back again. Thanks for your help.   
2018-7-18
Use props
johnrberghgmail.com
lvl.1

United States

DJI Dirk Posted at 2018-7-15 10:54
I experienced the electromagnetic interference problem with my Mavic Air when I tried to fly in an area with high voltage overhead power lines. I was not close to them but they were visible from the location where I wanted to take off. Currently I am on vacation in Europe in an area with many overhead power lines. During the past 14 days I have not been able to fly because of the electromagnetic interference message. Therefore I believe that in my case the overhead power lines are the cause for the interference message. Can anyone agree?

You are having 50 herts interferance in your location. I wonder if that is causing it.
2020-5-24
Use props
johnrberghgmail.com
lvl.1

United States

I worked in the electronics field for 35 years.  Including radio and microwave applications.  Now when I got near a marine Corp air field I got interference.  I was more than 5 miles away from the base, and my before you fly app said all clear.    Hmmm.   So I went 30 miles to the outskirts of a army military installation.  The same circumstances.
2020-5-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

One of the most common reasons for receiving this warning is when people launch from a concrete pad, pathway or building. It is caused by the re-inforcing steel used in the concrete. Never launch from a concrete surface.
2020-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules