Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
5d button lost
12Next >
8982 44 2016-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joanvm 6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2038698 ft
Spain

Hi,

After a coupe of weeks of flying without any issues (170km flown in 11:40h), this morning I noticed that the 5d button was missing from my controller. Where can I request a replacement button?

By the way, check out some raw unedited videos from my YouTube channnel, Mavic is incredible!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJK44GTwCLLql6JCGaza9KuUjbv1B-nvY
2016-12-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi joanvm, I'd suggest you to get in touch with our tech support at support.eu@dji.com.
They will be able to assist you.
2016-12-24
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.1

United States

How does the button just get lost? Does it fall off easily?
2016-12-24
Use props
joanvm 6
lvl.1
Spain

Hi thanks Mindy.

I'm really not aware of how and when I lost it. Now that's it's off, it's like the old school mouse buttons in laptops.
2016-12-24
Use props
fanse6efe666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347979 ft
United States

Also found my remote 5D button missing today. I emailed DJI Tech support and I got a response for me to send my controller back and initiate an RMA.  I just need a replacement button not a new controller.  
IMG_7720.JPG
2016-12-26
Use props
joanvm 6
lvl.1
Spain

Hi fanse, I got the same response, to send the whole RC to repair it... non sense, I'm looking for a 3D printed one or a spare part from a 3rd party.
2016-12-27
Use props
BarrettF77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 565459 ft
United States

I'm honestly tired of DJI supports send the whole unit policy.  They have the most scripted responses
2016-12-27
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

BarrettF77 Posted at 2016-12-27 12:13
I'm honestly tired of DJI supports send the whole unit policy.  They have the most scripted responses

Maybe they're not really people and are just bots.
2016-12-27
Use props
dana5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

Not that I would ever officially recommend this, but you *could* go buy a new one from the Apple store, move the 5D button over, and then return it as a defective unit, missing parts. Call it "the Wal-Mart Warranty". Apple would simple return the defective unit to DJI.
2016-12-27
Use props
joanvm 6
lvl.1
Spain

dana5 Posted at 2016-12-28 02:46
Not that I would ever officially recommend this, but you *could* go buy a new one from the Apple store, move the 5D button over, and then return it as a defective unit, missing parts. Call it "the Wal-Mart Warranty". Apple would simple return the defective unit to DJI.

At the end maybe it's the more practical "solution". LOL
2016-12-27
Use props
JustABill
lvl.1

United States

BarrettF77 Posted at 2016-12-27 13:13

It's almost as if they drone on and on and on....  (rimshot)
2016-12-27
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-12-28 02:46

Good luck finding one in stock at apple...
2016-12-27
Use props
BarrettF77
lvl.3
United States

I'd suggest that as well, finding another unit and swap the button.  Support from DJI is really more of a DIY type job.   They are without clue.  

The thing I've noticed is most people on here flying are more tech savvy and mechanical than not.  The result is working with support staff who know less than we do.  Just a thought.  
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

joanvm 6 Posted at 2016-12-24 15:37
Hi thanks Mindy.

I'm really not aware of how and when I lost it. Now that's it's off, it's like the old school mouse buttons in laptops.

Have you sent the RC in, if support said you need to send the RC in, then that's what you must do.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fanse6efe666 Posted at 2016-12-26 14:17
Also found my remote 5D button missing today. I emailed DJI Tech support and I got a response for me to send my controller back and initiate an RMA.  I just need a replacement button not a new controller.

If they've asked you to send the RC in, then that is what you must do.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

joanvm 6 Posted at 2016-12-27 10:56
Hi fanse, I got the same response, to send the whole RC to repair it... non sense, I'm looking for a 3D printed one or a spare part from a 3rd party.

I don't think any 3rd party is going to have a replacement button.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-27 11:33
Maybe they're not really people and are just bots.

We are people.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-12-27 11:46

I don't understand how people can do this, bad advice.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

joanvm 6 Posted at 2016-12-27 12:25
At the end maybe it's the more practical "solution". LOL

What goes around comes around.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

BarrettF77 Posted at 2016-12-27 17:37
I'd suggest that as well, finding another unit and swap the button.  Support from DJI is really more of a DIY type job.   They are without clue.  

The thing I've noticed is most people on here flying are more tech savvy and mechanical than not.  The result is working with support staff who know less than we do.  Just a thought.

I'm sorry you think that's a good idea to buy, swap, and return.
2016-12-28
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.1

United States

I find it disturbing that anyone would consider fraud by stealing a part of a product and then returning it.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Sgt_Throatpunch Posted at 2016-12-28 10:58
I find it disturbing that anyone would consider fraud by stealing a part of a product and then returning it.

I'm only supposed to post tech support issues and not get personal, but I feel the same way.
2016-12-28
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 14:21
I'm only supposed to post tech support issues and not get personal, but I feel the same way.

It's these kind of people that cause prices to go up for honest people.
2016-12-28
Use props
madkow70
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3215312 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 14:21

Lol, this response is awesome!   
2016-12-28
Use props
dana5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 00:06
I don't understand how people can do this, bad advice.

I would never do it either... It was more of a joke than actual advice. As I said, I would not officially recommend it.

I do understand the frustration of having to be without your controller for weeks, because a piece fell of that could easily be replaced without having to send in the entire unit.
2016-12-28
Use props
BarrettF77
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 10:08
I'm sorry you think that's a good idea to buy, swap, and return.

I'm sorry DJI support defaults to send your drone in for a bad propeller and there is no ownership or follow through to resolution of a customer issue.  The language barrier and refusal to have corporate reps not follow up with a customer is sad.  Especially when they are handicapped and the US based reps can do nothing but say send another email.  #Fail
When a company's support model fails it forces customers to find solutions outside the box.  Sad but true fact.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-12-28 14:59
I would never do it either... It was more of a joke than actual advice. As I said, I would not officially recommend it.

I do understand the frustration of having to be without your controller for weeks, because a piece fell of that could easily be replaced without having to send in the entire unit.

Since you are in the US, the turn around time is 1-2 weeks from when received. For a button replacement it would probably be faster than that.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

BarrettF77 Posted at 2016-12-28 17:12
I'm sorry DJI support defaults to send your drone in for a bad propeller and there is no ownership or follow through to resolution of a customer issue.  The language barrier and refusal to have corporate reps not follow up with a customer is sad.  Especially when they are handicapped and the US based reps can do nothing but say send another email.  #Fail
When a company's support model fails it forces customers to find solutions outside the box.  Sad but true fact.

I don't think a drone has ever been sent in due to a bad prop.
If you had a bad prop, DJi would tell you to replace the prop with a spare that's included with your drone.
2016-12-28
Use props
BarrettF77
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 21:49
I don't think a drone has ever been sent in due to a bad prop.
If you had a bad prop, DJi would tell you to replace the prop with a spare that's included with your drone.

I would too.  Yet this is exactly what they instructed me to do as two props were bad.  So I used two replacements out of the box and had 5 calls escalated and 4 emails sent just to get a $9 replacement part over the course of a few weeks.  

I believe this is what others are voicing as their frustration over as that isn't customer service.  I understand the role of this forum is to do basic troubleshooting and you cannot really assist in these matters as demonstrated because we have to call or email support.  But what good is the support when we get the runaround?

Hence why I see no issue with customers just returning a whole drone rather than dealing with the phone or email support.  It's why I have my credit card and insurance outside the manufacturer.  My hope is this gives you feedback into why we are frustrated and I can appreciate your scope of involvement and have a better understanding of what your role is on here.  

I wish the OP the best of luck with their issue too.  
2016-12-29
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I lost the 5d button on my controller too. It must have fell off at the last location. Was wondering if dji sells these? I'll go look tomorrow, but with all the rain not looking up.

Otherwise going to have to have one printed. Thanks!
2017-2-10
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

Would a rubber button from an old laptop keyboard tracking mouse not work? I'm sure computer repair shops have spares
2017-2-10
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-10 19:12
Would a rubber button from an old laptop keyboard tracking mouse not work? I'm sure computer repair shops have spares

Oh yeah that would work. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/10pcs-Tra ... kpad/dp/B00CF8I69C/

I use that stick for the front led on and off and centering the gimbal.
2017-2-10
Use props
fansd4634337
New
Flight distance : 30502 ft
United States

I also lost my 5D button after the first flight.  It was just gone.  Not sure what happened.   I have an email into DJI support and I'm waiting to hear back.  In the meantime I found a temporary fix.  I cut a small piece off the end of an ink cartridge from a disposable pen and slipped it over the white button stub.  It seems to work for now.  I just had to find a pen with the right ink cartridge diameter.
2017-3-6
Use props
TimmysDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1412917 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi, I just watched your video Barcelona panorama in 4k.  Compared to the videos I've been taking under cloudy and snowy sky's, your Mavic video is beautiful!  I'm looking forward to such colors when spring returns to the Pacific Northwest.  Do you have the settings that this video was taken?  I'm trying to learn more about video and to know the settings you used would be helpful.
Thank you, Don
2017-3-6
Use props
the gnat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5007 ft
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-10 19:34
Oh yeah that would work. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/10pcs-TrackPoint-Mouse-Lenovo-Thinkpad/dp/B00CF8I69C/

Bumping this topic back to the top...

Was flying my Mavic today and noticed when I looked down at the remote at one point during a flight that the 5D button was missing.  I am pretty certain that it was there when I prepped everything at the start.  Unfortunately, I could not find it so now I'm looking for a replacement/alternative.  Was just wondering if the rubber button from the old IBM Thinkpads worked as a fix.

Thanks.
2018-5-26
Use props
Boink
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6253 ft
United States

BEWARE:
They sent me (for free) a replacement 5D stem, but it was very clear it wouldn't fit... and one of the photos above looks like mine. I'm convinced that the plastic stem snapped off (though I never use it), and that leaves a small bit of the stem down in a metal socket of sorts. When the rest of the remaining stem was carefully removed, lots of little metal bits came out. I suspect that function is toast (though hopefully the remote will still otherwise work). Based on all the posts about this, clearly the 5D button as design issues.
2019-2-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Boink Posted at 2-19 12:41
BEWARE:
They sent me (for free) a replacement 5D stem, but it was very clear it wouldn't fit... and one of the photos above looks like mine. I'm convinced that the plastic stem snapped off (though I never use it), and that leaves a small bit of the stem down in a metal socket of sorts. When the rest of the remaining stem was carefully removed, lots of little metal bits came out. I suspect that function is toast (though hopefully the remote will still otherwise work). Based on all the posts about this, clearly the 5D button as design issues.

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. May we know if you manage to send out the remote controller for us to check this situation? You may contact our support using the link below for us to take an action in regards to this problem. Please keep us posted on the latest progress.

www.dji.com/support
2019-2-20
Use props
fansdf07ede6

United States

Had the same problem after i did an update. DJI must have found the bug. I uninstall DJI asst 2, download and install DJI asst2. Then updated the controller with connected to my computer via usb on controler. 5B button good to go
2019-5-1
Use props
UKMoose
Captain
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

£ 1.99 EBAY

2019-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-24 06:12
Hi joanvm, I'd suggest you to get in touch with our tech support at .
They will be able to assist you.

Hey Mindy, my 5D button fell off my smart remote controller, I shipped back to dji Netherlands , I did not break it off I did not snag it on anything, they are now looking to charge me €125 for this button which clearly costs €1.65, I fully expected that my warranty would cover this, it’s nothing short of highway robbery.
My case number is CAS-2942526-Z2N7B0
2019-5-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules