Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mushy looking Greens
812 8 2016-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Beninspain
lvl.3

Spain

Can anyone offer any Advice please. Every time im filming where there are lots of greens, It appears to look very mushy. Almost like a water colour painting.
Here is a little example.

Settings: 4K 3840x2160 25fps PAL MOV D-CINELIKE Style -2 -2 -2 ISO 100

I have also tried many other settings with much the same effect.

Lack of ND filter (had some polarpro filters, fell off and lost during flight) so shutter is much higher than i would have wanted.

2016-12-24
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.1

United States

I didn't see a dramatic effect. I noticed the whites were overexposed, do you use any filters?
Aaaand I just read the last line of your post. Oops.
2016-12-24
Use props
PolarProSupport
lvl.3

United States

Hi Beninspain,

Sorry to hear about the lost filters!  Was someone on our team already able to assist you with that?  If not please email support@polarpro.com and we'd be happy to get you set up with a replacement.  The filters should not be falling off in flight so it sounds like there may have been something wrong with the particular filter or set you received.

I'm not personally seeing the problem you mentioned with the colors but I did notice you knocked down the sharpness setting on the Mavic to -2 based on the information in your post.  If the mushiness you are referencing has to do with the sharpness of the image then that may be part of it.

- Oliver from PolarPro
2017-8-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

This is actually referred to as the watercolor effect, it's due to negative sharpness values. Just shoot at normal sharpness settings and adjust in post if you feel a need to.

Gorgeous landscape, btw.

2017-8-1
Use props
dekstroza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 446919 ft
Ireland

Try to use d-cinelike with +1 sharpness, -1 contrast, 0 saturation, or even +1,0,1 on d-cinelike. I have been using those with polar filters, and sometimes adding also icarus lut on top.
2017-8-2
Use props
Igor42
lvl.3
Russia

Скучно, затянуто.
2017-8-2
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

PolarProSupport Posted at 2017-8-1 16:29
Hi Beninspain,

Sorry to hear about the lost filters!  Was someone on our team already able to assist you with that?  If not please email  and we'd be happy to get you set up with a replacement.  The filters should not be falling off in flight so it sounds like there may have been something wrong with the particular filter or set you received.

Oliver - you rock - cudos to polar pro for their attitude and for hiring you - when i get my next set of filters it will be polar pro for sure.
2017-8-2
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

-2 sharpness.  That'll do it.
Needs to be +1 to turn off noise reduction.
2017-8-2
Use props
martin_bogo
lvl.1
United States

Agreed, -2 sharpness will deal with the "muddy/blurred" look

To sharpen up the colors, I definitely recommend getting a new set of inexpensive filters to replace the lost ones.
2017-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules