Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Pro Consistantly Losing GPS Signal mid flight
123Next >
25085 116 2016-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tydoblanko-sp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1036253 ft
Canada

Hi all,

Whenever I fly my P4P, it always loses gps signal mid flight. Before taking off it always gets 15+ satellites and has full gps signal strength bars. However, about 5-10 min into flight the gps signal strength will drop off to about 1 to 2 bars and the craft will switch to atti mode. For the rest of the flight it will switch back and forth every minute or 2. I thought it may be intereference in the area so I tried in different locations far apart and still similar issues. Any ideas here?

Thanks
2016-12-24
Use props
HellStream
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1370771 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Have you updated to the latest firmware and made the IMU & compass calibration?
2016-12-24
Use props
f3honda4me
lvl.1
United States

HellStream Posted at 2016-12-24 12:15
Have you updated to the latest firmware and made the IMU & compass calibration?

What does IMU and compass have to do with losing gps signal?
2016-12-24
Use props
HellStream
lvl.2
  • >>>
Finland

f3honda4me Posted at 2016-12-24 20:56
What does IMU and compass have to do with losing gps signal?

My P3Pro did similar thing all the time. I did the IMU and compass calibration and problem was solved.
2016-12-24
Use props
tydoblanko-sp
lvl.1
Canada

Tried all that. Was a bit better but still got weak gps signal and switched to atti. (maintained 20 satellites the whole time)
2016-12-24
Use props
tydoblanko-sp
lvl.1
Canada

Within seconds this happened
IMG_3868.PNG
IMG_3867.PNG
2016-12-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

What sort of area are you flying in? Are you in open country, or urban canyons with high buildings? I notice the GPS shows a good number of satellites connected, so the weak GPS signal is puzzling. IMU and compass calibration have nothing to do with the availability or strength of GPS signals.
2016-12-24
Use props
tydoblanko-sp
lvl.1
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-24 13:31
What sort of area are you flying in? Are you in open country, or urban canyons with high buildings? I notice the GPS shows a good number of satellites connected, so the weak GPS signal is puzzling. IMU and compass calibration have nothing to do with the availability or strength of GPS signals.

Completely flat as far as the eye can see over a field. Just a small suburb nearby. I tried in this location and also about 10 km away. Also note I have flown in this area with a phantom 4 with no issues.
2016-12-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

tydoblanko-sp Posted at 2016-12-25 07:44
Completely flat as far as the eye can see over a field. Just a small suburb nearby. I tried in this location and also about 10 km away. Also note I have flown in this area with a phantom 4 with no issues.

Then I would be making arrangements to exchange it or have it fixed by DJI, that sounds like a fault to me.
2016-12-24
Use props
f3honda4me
lvl.1
United States

Yep sounds like a hardware issue. I'd contact DJI
2016-12-24
Use props
HellStream
lvl.2
  • >>>
Finland

I really don´t know if this helps but which frequency are you using? 2.4 or 5.8?
2016-12-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

HellStream Posted at 2016-12-25 09:20
I really don´t know if this helps but which frequency are you using? 2.4 or 5.8?

No that has absolutely nothing to do with reception of GPS satellite signals.
2016-12-24
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

there have been some K-index interference the last 3 days.
normaly nothing to worry about, but who knows.

http://www.gfz-potsdam.de/en/sec ... kp-index/quicklook/
2016-12-24
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please sync your flight records through the DJI GO APP firstly?
Then please export the flight data through Assistant 2 when it happened, send an e-mail to support.us@dji.com with your APP account (e-mail address) and the exact time it happened, our engineers will help you analyze the data.
2016-12-25
Use props
Fiveform 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136230 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same issue, flying today, but no issues in 10 previous flights in other locations.  I recalibrated IMU last night, but hadn't done a compass calibration today.  Pre-flight status was all good, per DJI Go4 app on Android.
2016-12-25
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Fiveform 2 Posted at 2016-12-26 15:02
I had the same issue, flying today, but no issues in 10 previous flights in other locations.  I recalibrated IMU last night, but hadn't done a compass calibration today.  Pre-flight status was all good, per DJI Go4 app on Android.

GPS operation does not depend on the IMU.
DJI's hardware is generally top notch so if you have a problem with loss of GPS, either there is something very anomalous about the 'clear' area you are flying or there is a fault with the GPS module. Its very unusual for that to fail but if this problem recurs in different locations, that would be the issue.
2016-12-25
Use props
Fiveform 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136230 ft
  • >>>
United States

I took a look at my flight records and it seems like while GPS is acquiring satellites that the GPS "loss" is logged. I'm only seeing this at beginning and end of flights as VPS is engaged on landing.  I'll assume that is how it should work.  However, my overview of the flight log entries is that they can be a bit misleading and in many cases, superfluous.  For instance, there are also entries which state that I switched to ATTI mode when I definitely did not (could that indicate a loss of GPS, in other terminology?)
FOLLOW-UP 12-26-2016:  I took my P4P out for a 25 minute flight this morning in temps around 25 degrees F.  Tried out manual flight, as well as a few Intelligent flight modes and experienced zero issues.  In fact, handling, responsiveness, and expected behaviors were all perfect. Hopefully, many of the minor issues are a matter of familiarity and not hardware or software related.  Onward and upward!
2016-12-25
Use props
tydoblanko-sp
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-25 02:53
Would you please sync your flight records through the DJI GO APP firstly?
Then please export the flight data through Assistant 2 when it happened, send an e-mail with your APP account (e-mail address) and the exact time it happened, our engineers will help you analyze the data.

I reported the fight record from the dji assistant. Is that good enough or should I email as well? The flight data file is large (~400MB)
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

tydoblanko-sp Posted at 2016-12-27 03:06
I reported the fight record from the dji assistant. Is that good enough or should I email as well? The flight data file is large (~400MB)

There is no need all the flight data, please just export the data when the problem occurred and upload that to the dropbox.
Just to clarify, your APP e-mail address is the same for forum register, right?
2016-12-26
Use props
tydoblanko-sp
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-27 00:08
There is no need all the flight data, please just export the data when the problem occurred and upload that to the dropbox.
Just to clarify, your APP e-mail address is the same for forum register, right?

Yes my email is the same.
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Thanks, please upload the flight data as well and keep me posted, I'll transferred the data to our engineers for analysis.
2016-12-27
Use props
tydoblanko-sp
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-27 23:35
Thanks, please upload the flight data as well and keep me posted, I'll transferred the data to our engineers for analysis.

I already sent the data to us.support@dji.com is that good enough?
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

tydoblanko-sp Posted at 2016-12-29 21:44
I already sent the data to  is that good enough?

That's a great first step, could you happen to provide the ticket number for further follow up?
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

tydoblanko-sp Posted at 2016-12-29 21:44
I already sent the data to  is that good enough?

Sorry the correct e-mail address should be support.us@dji.com, please double check it and make sure it's sent out successfully.
2016-12-30
Use props
tydoblanko-sp
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-29 22:06
That's a great first step, could you happen to provide the ticket number for further follow up?

The ticket number is 375896. Thanks!
2016-12-30
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Same happend to my brand new P4P today, gone after second flight, all went black after a short "weak gps signal" warning, then it just flew away.
2016-12-31
Use props
tydoblanko-sp
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-30 00:25
Sorry the correct e-mail address should be , please double check it and make sure it's sent out successfully.

I got a ticket number that i posted above. Do you have any updates?
2017-1-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Fiveform 2 Posted at 2016-12-25 19:39
I took a look at my flight records and it seems like while GPS is acquiring satellites that the GPS "loss" is logged. I'm only seeing this at beginning and end of flights as VPS is engaged on landing.  I'll assume that is how it should work.  However, my overview of the flight log entries is that they can be a bit misleading and in many cases, superfluous.  For instance, there are also entries which state that I switched to ATTI mode when I definitely did not (could that indicate a loss of GPS, in other terminology?)
FOLLOW-UP 12-26-2016:  I took my P4P out for a 25 minute flight this morning in temps around 25 degrees F.  Tried out manual flight, as well as a few Intelligent flight modes and experienced zero issues.  In fact, handling, responsiveness, and expected behaviors were all perfect. Hopefully, many of the minor issues are a matter of familiarity and not hardware or software related.  Onward and upward!

'For instance, there are also entries which state that I switched to ATTI mode when I definitely did not (could that indicate a loss of GPS, in other terminology?) '

It is poor wording, it is not saying you switched to ATTI mode, the aircraft is doing it automatically. This is usually in response to a compass error or perhaps a loss of GPS lock.
2017-1-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

tydoblanko-sp Posted at 2016-12-30 17:45
The ticket number is 375896. Thanks!

Our support will take care of your case and reply your e-mail once they are back to office. Sorry for any inconvenience caused, and thanks for your support again.
2017-1-1
Use props
tydoblanko-sp
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-1 22:16
Our support will take care of your case and reply your e-mail once they are back to office. Sorry for any inconvenience caused, and thanks for your support again.

They emailed me saying they would send me a shipping label within 1-2 business days over a week ago and I still haven't received anything. Can you please tell me what is going on? Issue # 375896
2017-1-13
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

I would be willing to wonder if there is strong magnetic forces in the ground maybe high iron? I used to have a p3s that had a bad compass module and this does seem to be quite a bit like your issue
2017-1-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

bluemarley67 Posted at 2017-1-13 11:46
I would be willing to wonder if there is strong magnetic forces in the ground maybe high iron? I used to have a p3s that had a bad compass module and this does seem to be quite a bit like your issue

Iron ore in the ground would have no effect at altitude, and it would not affect the GPS receiver.
2017-1-13
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

But it would to the compass
2017-1-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

tydoblanko-sp Posted at 2017-1-13 07:38
They emailed me saying they would send me a shipping label within 1-2 business days over a week ago and I still haven't received anything. Can you please tell me what is going on? Issue # 375896

Very sorry for the inconvenience caused, we've reported this case to our support team, who will reply you soon.
2017-1-16
Use props
Gulars
New
Norway

Hi im having a similar issue with mu P4P+ did this get resolved for you? what was the conclusion. I am currently on chat with a guy who calim the drone wil return home if it looses GPS.
2017-2-13
Use props
fans06257e97
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3009616 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-16 00:36
Very sorry for the inconvenience caused, we've reported this case to our support team, who will reply you soon.

i've bought a Phantom 4 pro plus 2 months ago and since de first flight, there is the same problem. Yesterday the drone became totally crazy in the air, flying in high velocity when lost gps signal. i'm trying to contact assistance DJI in Brazil, but they tell me that they can't do nothing.
2017-2-15
Use props
fans06257e97
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3009616 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

i've bought a Phantom 4 pro plus 2 months ago and since de first flight, there is the same problem. Yesterday the drone became totally crazy in the air, flying in high velocity when lost gps signal. i'm trying to contact assistance DJI in Brazil, but they tell me that they can't do nothing.
2017-2-15
Use props
fans2ddaaf7b
lvl.1
Finland

I had this same problem also last weekend, drone (P4P)kept on switcing to atti mode all the time even tere was plenty of satellites, the drone was drifting and almost impossible to fly straight line, the the gps came back and in couple of minutes it went back to atti, this was happening many times untill I lost connection to the drone completely, "aircraft disconnected", luckily the connection.came back in about 30 seconds  and I was able to fly it back manually. the temperature was around 0 degrees celcius.
2017-2-15
Use props
Vasilis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 163658 ft
Greece

Happens to me constantly.  I have flown  on different areas and the problem keeps coming.  The real problem is that it cancels the RTH and you have to fly back manually.  I have upgraded to the new firmware and the problem appeared again.
2017-2-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Gulars Posted at 2017-2-13 06:42
Hi im having a similar issue with mu P4P+ did this get resolved for you? what was the conclusion. I am currently on chat with a guy who calim the drone wil return home if it looses GPS.

'I am currently on chat with a guy who calim the drone wil return home if it looses GPS.'

He is totally wrong. If the aircraft cannot receive GPS data, it cannot RTH, as it needs the GPS data to know where home is.
2017-2-16
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules