Suggestion: Yaw Smoothness setting.
18484 29 2016-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

The "Gimbal Pitch Smoothness" setting is terrific. I love the way it gives a natural movement to changing the gimbal. It takes a little practice to avoid overshooting my mark, but the results are great.

One of the hardest things about using the Mavic is making it turn in a smooth, natural way. I've worked on the Expo settings a lot, and that gives a big improvement. However, it's still hard to avoid a little nudge occasionally when starting a turn.

If there were a "Yaw Smoothness" that worked like "Gimbal Pitch Smoothness", that would be amazing. I wouldn't even set it as high as I do with gimbal pitch, I'd just use a little of it, combined with lightening up the Expo setting that I use. Using the Expo settings combined with the smoothing out the yaw would give better results than either alone, and it would make avoiding jerky turning very easy.
2016-12-24
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

What setting do you have it set on?
2016-12-24
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

I agree, it would be a nice setting to have.  
2016-12-24
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2016-12-24 23:26
What setting do you have it set on?

I have Expo set on 10 and Yaw Endpoint set on 50. Expo set to 10 is a little extreme, I know. It leaves some dead space in the center of the stick. I did try 20 and 15, but it was a little too jerky. I think that as I practice, I'll get better, and 20 will be where I end up.

I've been practicing moving the stick very slowly so that it will gently start a turn. I get it sometimes, but it still needs work to be consistent. Gimbal Tilt Smoothing is set to 20, and it is much smoother and more consistent with much less practice.
2016-12-24
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

I think this video pretty much pinpoints all the settings needed for smooth video using the mavic...

(tip: skip to 2:15 to get to the good part)
2016-12-24
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

Yes, I've already watched that video. I do everything that he suggests.
2016-12-24
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

stealle Posted at 2016-12-25 00:37
I think this video pretty much pinpoints all the settings needed for smooth video using the mavic...

You should check out what he says at 13:00.

"The tilt has one secret weapon. The secret weapon should be on the yaw as well."
2016-12-24
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

Ahh... ok. I follow you.  I watched that video awhile back. To be honest, it's been too cold to fly so I haven't even had a chance to try any of the settings.  So, are you saying with yaw expo at .20 and yaw end stop at 50 it slows it down some, but it still yaws too quickly? What exactly is different with this setting?
2016-12-24
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

stealle Posted at 2016-12-25 01:08
Ahh... ok. I follow you.  I watched that video awhile back. To be honest, it's been too cold to fly so I haven't even had a chance to try any of the settings.  So, are you saying with yaw expo at .20 and yaw end stop at 50 it slows it down some, but it still yaws too quickly? What exactly is different with this setting?

No matter what the settings are, your thumb still has to move at a very precise rate to get a good turn. One little bump can add a bump to your video that distracts the viewer. Even with the gentlest yaw settings, if you move the stick too far too quickly, the drone starts turning instantly.

The smoothness setting on gimbal tilt avoids that. If you move the gimbal quickly, it will accelerate into the movement instead of going straight into the change. So if you're too rough one time, you still get a smooth movement. Having that on the yaw would be nice.
2016-12-24
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Isn't this one of the things that the new "Cinematic" flight mode does? I haven't had a chance to really test it, yet.
2016-12-25
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

In the video, he mentions Gimbal Tilt SmoothTrack and it shows as a setting that can be adjusted but I simply just don't have that setting. Has it been removed?
2016-12-25
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2016-12-26 09:26
In the video, he mentions Gimbal Tilt SmoothTrack and it shows as a setting that can be adjusted but I simply just don't have that setting. Has it been removed?

Do you have Gimbal Pitch Smoothness? That's the same thing. I'm not sure why his DJI Go has a different name for it than mine.
2016-12-25
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

JasonMBryant Posted at 2016-12-26 10:19
Do you have Gimbal Pitch Smoothness? That's the same thing. I'm not sure why his DJI Go has a different name for it than mine.

It was something I brought out in another thread.  The nomenclature between iOS and Android apps can be quite different.  On top of that, translation issues into different languages can cause problems.  I can understand some slight translation issues or minor quirks but having menus, settings, and even procedures vary is unacceptable.
2016-12-25
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

JasonMBryant Posted at 2016-12-26 12:19

No I don't have that either. In the video it shows 4 settings but I only have 3, the first 2 and the last one.
2016-12-25
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2016-12-25 23:54
No I don't have that either. In the video it shows 4 settings but I only have 3, the first 2 and the last one.

Okay, that's serious.

Do you have the latest firmware?

Do you have the latest version of DJI Go?

If you have all that, I'm out of ideas. Maybe a mod will know.
2016-12-26
Use props
GeForceFX-be
lvl.2

Belgium

I just tried changing the settings like in that video (on android tablet with go 4.0 latest update) but I can't change that EXP or yaw endpoint. When I change it from 0.25 to 0.20 it's in red, and it doesn't get saved. Going back or out of the option menu and than back, it jumps back to the standard value of 0.20 and 100 for yaw endpoint.
2016-12-26
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

GeForceFX-be Posted at 2016-12-26 08:51
I just tried changing the settings like in that video (on android tablet with go 4.0 latest update) but I can't change that EXP or yaw endpoint. When I change it from 0.25 to 0.20 it's in red, and it doesn't get saved. Going back or out of the option menu and than back, it jumps back to the standard value of 0.20 and 100 for yaw endpoint.

Is your Mavic turned on when you change the settings?
2016-12-26
Use props
GeForceFX-be
lvl.2

Belgium

JasonMBryant Posted at 2016-12-26 16:02
Is your Mavic turned on when you change the settings?

yes it is turned on
2016-12-26
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

JasonMBryant Posted at 2016-12-26 18:17
Okay, that's serious.

Do you have the latest firmware?

I have the latest android GO app 4.01 and I have the latest firmware.
Under Gimbal Advanced Settings, the video shows at the very top, Configuration 1, 2 and 3. I don't have that up the top. What I have in Gimbal settings is:
Gimbal Tilt Limit which is an On/Off slider for 30.
Gimbal Start/Stop Buffer which can be set between 0 and 30
Gimbal Pitch EXP which can be set between 1 and 50
Gimbal Pan Synchronous Follow which is an ON/Off slider
and that is it.
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2016-12-27 12:13
I have the latest android GO app 4.01 and I have the latest firmware.
Under Gimbal Advanced Settings, the video shows at the very top, Configuration 1, 2 and 3. I don't have that up the top. What I have in Gimbal settings is:
Gimbal Tilt Limit which is an On/Off slider for 30.

Gimbal Tilt limit when enabled lets you tilt the camera up 30° from straight forward.
Start/Stop buffer is how the camera tilt reacts to you finger movement. 0 the gimbal moves fast and stops fast.
set to 30 the gimbal moves very slowly and when you let go of the wheel it stops slowly as well.
Pitch EXPO is how sensitive the wheel is.
Synchronous Follow is when you yaw the camera will follow the exact heading of the aircraft which will be a jerky movement unless you pan very slowly. And when enabled the camera will yaw and have a smoother pan.
2016-12-27
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 16:09
Gimbal Tilt limit when enabled lets you tilt the camera up 30° from straight forward.
Start/Stop buffer is how the camera tilt reacts to you finger movement. 0 the gimbal moves fast and stops fast.
set to 30 the gimbal moves very slowly and when you let go of the wheel it stops slowly as well.

Great, thank you very much for that. Just what I wanted to know.
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2016-12-28 14:17
Great, thank you very much for that. Just what I wanted to know.

Your welcome.
2016-12-27
Use props
picsporadicphot
New
Flight distance : 400755 ft
Guatemala

Totally second this idea - its of no use when you can dial down all the other settings but the yaw remains super twitchy - I have ruined many a shot by knocking the yaw accidentally - PLEASE UPDATE TO INCLUDE SMOOTHNESS SETTING FOR THE YAW CONTROL - exactly as the op says - a delay that smooths out the yaw / pan when starting and stopping for nice cinematic shots.
2017-4-20
Use props
BobDumon
lvl.1
United States

On my Samsung Edge Plus I can adjust a lot of settings, using Go Fly, but not "Yaw Settings," which is grayed out. I've tweaked what IS showing under the Gimbal icon and advanced settings, but it won't let me access the "Yaw settings" tab.  Any ideas on how to get in to adjust YAW settings?  Thanks....  new owner here....
2017-5-18
Use props
fans1bc81f59
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19488 ft
United States

Any suggestions how to smooth out the Spark yaw movements?
2017-8-9
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is exactly what I was talking about in a video I made and posted here. No one was understanding what I was talking about. If you look at the gimbal while you yaw you will see the gimbal starts moving before the aircraft does. Everyone keeps saying that this is better because it smooths out your shot. How is that? If the camera is the first thing to move, how can you achive a smooth start and finish of the yaw action. If you look at other drones like the Phantom, the drone starts yawing first and the camera smoothly catches up. Giving a fluid start and stop of the yaw motion.
2017-8-9
Use props
Reisch
New
Germany

I also have a yuneec q500 4k. When i yaw this drone the Camera stays on a fixpoint(at the horizon) and smoothly begins from there to yaw in the same direction. When i stop yawing the drone at once, the camera can stop very smoothly because it's movement is in a delay from the Drones movement. This is what the mavic pro's gimbal also should do.
2017-8-20
Use props
Ugene
lvl.1
Flight distance : 633556 ft
Brazil

stealle Posted at 2016-12-24 21:37

This is awesome! Totally worth watching it.  Thank you!
2017-10-5
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Nice! I hope the DJI guys keep eye on this thread.... Have you arealdy tried the cinematic mode? Does it get more smooth moves in yaw?
2017-10-5
Use props
aerofart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427969 ft
United States

Yaw Endpoint basically cuts off the travel of the yaw stick.  So for example, if you move the stick all the way in one direction (100%), it really only counts it as 30% if you set your Yaw Endpoint to 30%.  This setting is great combined with EXP settings because basically, you get to take the shallow end of the EXP curve and "spread" it across the entire travel of your stick, and you'll never hit the steep end of the curve.

Here's an illustration of Yaw Endpoint applied to an EXP curve.  Applying this endpoint essentially stretches the curve between the two endpoints to the edges, eliminating the steep ends of the curve.  So you'll basically end up with very fine control of your aircraft over a very shallow curve.  End result: very smooth cinematic motion!
2018-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules