Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic drifting when hovering
39956 39 2016-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans16b1ea7c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 114688 ft
United States

Anyone experiencing the Mavic setting even with little or no wind? Today I took off and let it hover, it slowly started to creep down almost a foot. Also drifts left and right.

Something to add here is that the last 2 times I get an IMU calibration error. It goes away after a minute or so. I still so IMU calibration though.

I just wanted to reach out to other Mavic pilots to see if they've expieriened this, or have any ideas on the cause.
2016-12-24
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

Is it in GPS mode?  How many satellites does it see?  Do you have Downward Vision System on?

If it is in GPS mode with 10 or above satellites, it shouldn't drift much horizontally, although vertical drifting is more possible...   If you are less than 10M high and you have the Downward Vision System on, the Mavic is very good at keeping at a specific height and you shouldn't see any vertical drifting at all.   I've never experienced this problem on my Mavic, so your problem seems unusual...

2016-12-24
Use props
colonel00
lvl.3

United States

I've seen it on mine.  I just haven't been setup to record it.  One of these days I'll setup a camera on a tripod and record it drifting.  I've also see it drift in altitude a bit as well.  Even this afternoon I was showing the Mavic to my father and as soon as I made the statement that it would hold its position on its own, it started to drift a little.  Overall though, nothing that I feel is truly alarming but I have definitely noticed it.
2016-12-24
Use props
Bax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 749413 ft
Australia

I have uploaded some flight logs showing the drift in low wind. I am still experiencing it.
2016-12-24
Use props
Peter Galbavy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, it does drift quite a bit, especially vertically even when low enough to use the ultrasonic sensors. Flying tests indoors (with no GPS) I might expect it to drift in a horizontal place (based on VPS detection too) but I am surprised at how much it moves relative to the "floor" below it.
2016-12-25
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Well today mine drifted for a bit, but I think it was due to the strong wind, however it was very noticeable
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, were you flying indoors or outdoors?Please try to do a cold IMU calibration on a completely flat surface and test it again.
2016-12-25
Use props
fans16b1ea7c
lvl.1
United States

I was flying outdoors and had 16 satellites. I will do another IMU calibration and try and again.
2016-12-25
Use props
fans16b1ea7c
lvl.1
United States

Double checked with a level that the surface was level. Perfectly level. Did the IMU calibration and took it outside to test. Better but noticeable drifting with no wind.
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans16b1ea7c Posted at 2016-12-26 09:14
Double checked with a level that the surface was level. Perfectly level. Did the IMU calibration and took it outside to test. Better but noticeable drifting with no wind.

Please sync your flight data from DJI GO app and provide me with your DJI account email.
Is your DJI account email the same as your forum email?
I'll help to review it.
2016-12-26
Use props
fans16b1ea7c
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-26 04:44
Please sync your flight data from DJI GO app and provide me with your DJI account email.
Is your DJI account email the same as your forum email?
I'll help to review it.

Flight data is now synced. Email is the same as the forum email. Thank you.
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans16b1ea7c Posted at 2016-12-28 07:56
Flight data is now synced. Email is the same as the forum email. Thank you.

Hi, I had reviewed your flight data.
Did you do the IMU calibration and fly it again? Please let us know if there would be same issue.
2016-12-28
Use props
fans16b1ea7c
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-28 02:07
Hi, I had reviewed your flight data.
Did you do the IMU calibration and fly it again? Please let us know if there would be same issue.

I have done a few IMU calibrations. It is slightly better but I cannot get still shots, the Mavic always drifts even in no wind. The drift isn't a whole lot, but enough to see it in the camera and shots I am trying to get.
2016-12-29
Use props
Panamera
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43917 ft
Canada

Peter Galbavy Posted at 2016-12-25 00:45
Yes, it does drift quite a bit, especially vertically even when low enough to use the ultrasonic sensors. Flying tests indoors (with no GPS) I might expect it to drift in a horizontal place (based on VPS detection too) but I am surprised at how much it moves relative to the "floor" below it.

I have been flying mine in the house with no problems, it hovers very well doesn't move a inch, mind you that's indoors.
2016-12-29
Use props
Bax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 749413 ft
Australia

Panamera Posted at 2016-12-29 14:41
I have been flying mine in the house with no problems, it hovers very well doesn't move a inch, mind you that's indoors.

I am still having quite noticeable drift, much footage is lost.
I am uploading logs.
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans16b1ea7c Posted at 2016-12-29 09:34
I have done a few IMU calibrations. It is slightly better but I cannot get still shots, the Mavic always drifts even in no wind. The drift isn't a whole lot, but enough to see it in the camera and shots I am trying to get.

Please ensure you do the IMU calibration on a completely flat surface.
And synced your flight records again. I'll help to check it.
2016-12-29
Use props
rclendaniel
lvl.1

United States

I was flying my Mavic today at about 50 meters altitude directly overhead and it started drifting up to 80 meters in a few minutes on its own. I got scared because It didn't seem to respond altitude lever until I pulled it all the way down and put it into landing mode. I had 15 satellites and there was very little wind and it was about 40 degrees F. Any ideas why this would happen?
2017-2-5
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Drifting can be caused by many factors - most can be corrected with recalibration. The easy 3 are............

IMU - done 'cold' on a completely flat (use a spirit level) surface. By cold I mean leave the Mavic switched off in cold dry room/garage for a few hours. Not a fridge as some internet pages would suggest
Compass - done outside away from buildings, cars and anything that could cause interference. This includes phones or anything else metallic
Remote - done via the app

After each calibration switch the drone off, leave it 5 mins and then do the next one. Don't do them one after the other.

If these don't correct the drifting issues you'll have to download & use DJI Assistant 2 and calibrate the vision sensors. If after all that the last resort is a factory reset via the DJI Assistant 2.
If you're still having issues I'm afraid it's probably a hardware issue.
2017-2-5
Use props
fans85b29f17
New
Flight distance : 14741 ft
Ireland

Hey guys I am a newbie and have similar issue. When i first got my drone last week I could simply lift it up and then just land in my living room. I went outdoor and really enjoyed the flight. However while landing I let the system take control and it automaticallylanded on the wrong spot in some bushes. Ever since within the house its drifting straight away and am too scared to try it outside. Ne help..???
2017-2-5
Use props
fans04be7a96
lvl.1
United States

Hello everyone. I have been experiencing the same issues with my Mavic. After the update it would drift, yaw and lose GPS as mentioned above and in other threads. My solution that worked for me was as follows.  I went to a park that was very open, no metal or powerlines  anywhere nearby. I took my launch platform and a level. got the platform level in three planes and calibrated the IMU, the controller, the Compass uninstalled the Go 4 app and reinstalled (at home on wifi) it before pairing it to the Mavic. I turned everything on, shut down and re-calibrated everything again making sure the platform was still level. After doing the IMU, compass (with the controller 20 feet away and nothing in my pockets), gimble (just because I had a perfectly level area) I installed a new battery and launched it in a pretty stiff breeze...and it is once again ROCK SOLID and flying as it did the first time I got it. I flew it for three batteries and never had a GPS signal drop or anything...flew perfectly. I did all this after the update in my yard but I have a power drop to the house and didnt have everything perfectly level and such so I think that was the issue. I may try to install the latest update and repeat the sequence at the park tomorrow and see if its the update that isnt working (doubt it) or if I was trying to do the calibrations in an area that wasnt a good area to calibrate in. I will post tomorrow or Sunday with the results knowing I can go back to the .300 update that is working as it should. I hope others have as much success as I did.  I was truely ready to sell the dang thing and was so frustrated with all of it.  Best of luck!
2017-2-17
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

fans85b29f17 Posted at 2017-2-5 14:34
Hey guys I am a newbie and have similar issue. When i first got my drone last week I could simply lift it up and then just land in my living room. I went outdoor and really enjoyed the flight. However while landing I let the system take control and it automaticallylanded on the wrong spot in some bushes. Ever since within the house its drifting straight away and am too scared to try it outside. Ne help..???

Sounds like the same issue as the original poster, but the wrong advice has been given.  A VPS calibration using DJI Assistant 2 will fix that hover drifting issue.  It is using those cameras for hover when within VPS range.
2017-2-17
Use props
Tutay
lvl.1
New Zealand

this my sounds funny how about unbalance  propellers specially mavic pro propellers is very thin just a little  damaged on the propellersl it can cause the bird to drift.
2017-6-27
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

To those with drifting, do a remote calibration and see if it is showing movement of the sticks even if you aren't touching them.
2017-6-27
Use props
PJMANSELL25
lvl.1
Flight distance : 181273 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there. I,ve been flying the mavic for almost a year (On and off) now and today was the first time it behaved in a way I have never seen. As soon as it took off it immediately drifted to the side then flew away totaly out of control. I had to bring it down with a crash landing for fear of what might happen. Long story short, if you bare with me, I rebooted everything. and the same thing happend again. Turned out, it was the spot I was standing. Must have been an underground cable or something. (I was next to a football pitch with flood lights. As soon as I moved to another location. all was back to normal... scary....
2017-10-15
Use props
Halifax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 326949 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same problem in a mountain hollow in Vermont, where the GPS coverage was marginal. First time it happened in over a year of flying. I did a magnetic compass calibration and the problem disappeared.
2017-10-15
Use props
wILDPRODUCTIONS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 317169 ft
United States

Jenkins Posted at 2017-6-27 06:46
To those with drifting, do a remote calibration and see if it is showing movement of the sticks even if you aren't touching them.

Hello, i actually have that problem when im calibrating the remote, im not touching the sticks at all how ever it says that one is moved around 6%, any ideas on how to fix it ? appreciate it thanks
2017-10-17
Use props
CaptureAZ
Flight distance : 141 ft
United States

This happened the very first time I flew my new Mavic Pro.  Wasn't in the air for more than 2 minutes before it drifted uncontrollably for about 100 feet into a cement wall.  A HUGE disappointment right off the bat.

And yes, I had done all of the calibrations and a firmware update.  I was in a park.  It was flying fine for a little while, I was in beginner mode, barely touching the controls, still getting a feel for it, I let go of the sticks and it just started going sideways.  Tried holding the left stick down to make it land but it was barely responding and started flying sideways faster and faster.  Ruined all 4 blades and put a scratch on the nose and one of the arms.  

To say I'm nervous to take it out again is an understatement.  I'm going to have to try and make an even more level platform to do the calibrations on I guess.
2017-12-5
Use props
fans605e3f3b
New
Flight distance : 10679 ft
United States

I had it happen to me after flying over reflective water
2017-12-5
Use props
knoxlogic
New
United States

CaptureAZ Posted at 2017-12-5 09:44
This happened the very first time I flew my new Mavic Pro.  Wasn't in the air for more than 2 minutes before it drifted uncontrollably for about 100 feet into a cement wall.  A HUGE disappointment right off the bat.

And yes, I had done all of the calibrations and a firmware update.  I was in a park.  It was flying fine for a little while, I was in beginner mode, barely touching the controls, still getting a feel for it, I let go of the sticks and it just started going sideways.  Tried holding the left stick down to make it land but it was barely responding and started flying sideways faster and faster.  Ruined all 4 blades and put a scratch on the nose and one of the arms.  

Mine did this today. It had calibrated it many times and even flown it numerous times. But last night, I took it outside and was slowly just moving the controls and learning it more and it started drifting and then uncontrollably right into a tree. I trashed all 4 propellers and scratched the drone. No matter what I did to stop it, it didn't work. It acted like somebody literally had another controller on it. Freaked me out!

Thankfully, I replaced the propellers, re-calibrated everything and took it out again. Everything seemed fine, but still. Makes me nervous because it does drift and it's noticeable.
2018-2-7
Use props
Fasitron
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37881 ft
United States

Calibrate the imu
2018-2-7
Use props
Brad Bilger
Captain
Flight distance : 14764163 ft
United States

fans85b29f17 Posted at 2017-2-5 14:34
Hey guys I am a newbie and have similar issue. When i first got my drone last week I could simply lift it up and then just land in my living room. I went outdoor and really enjoyed the flight. However while landing I let the system take control and it automaticallylanded on the wrong spot in some bushes. Ever since within the house its drifting straight away and am too scared to try it outside. Ne help..???

Strong recommendation that is given to all new owners is read the manual.  If you initiated Return to home, and you were within 5 meters of the home point, the drone simply lands.  Right where it's at.  Push the button and it goes down right there.  
2018-2-8
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

What firmware are you on? There has been reports on the forum of drifting with 0200. I had drifting  with 0200 so went back to 0100.Indoors I have never had stable flight. I think that is down to down draught and interference though.
2018-2-8
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Is the drift happening at night time - or during broad daylight?
2018-2-8
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
United States

2018-2-8
Use props
knoxlogic
New
United States

digitalintruder Posted at 2018-2-8 08:42

My drift was at twilight really. Sun was setting if not already set, but not dark yet. I was wanting to hover it, get used to the controls, adjust the camera, learn the settings more, etc... Again, it was hovering and then started drifting uncontrollably. I tried to correct it and no matter what I did, it made things worse. I initiated a RTH and it went right into a tree.

The lucky part for me was as soon as it went into the tree, I pushed up on the controller and it was able to correct itself and climb altitude out of the tree. I barely got it home! WHEEW!!!!
2018-2-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

When I am calibrating IMU, I always take into account Coriolis force (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force).
Once I started doing that and with help of bit of a fine trimming, didn't experience any drifts. Might be snake oil or placebo thing, but seems to work with my Mavics.
2018-2-12
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
United States

knoxlogic Posted at 2018-2-12 11:31
My drift was at twilight really. Sun was setting if not already set, but not dark yet. I was wanting to hover it, get used to the controls, adjust the camera, learn the settings more, etc... Again, it was hovering and then started drifting uncontrollably. I tried to correct it and no matter what I did, it made things worse. I initiated a RTH and it went right into a tree.

The lucky part for me was as soon as it went into the tree, I pushed up on the controller and it was able to correct itself and climb altitude out of the tree. I barely got it home! WHEEW!!!!

From what I've read, low light (a warning will appear) can cause a bit of drift. Does this happen during the day time?

Glad you saved your drone I don't like those types of close calls
2018-2-13
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-12 11:44
When I am calibrating IMU, I always take into account Coriolis force (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force).
Once I started doing that and with help of bit of a fine trimming, didn't experience any drifts. Might be snake oil or placebo thing, but seems to work with my Mavics.

Think this applies to the trajectory when bullets are shot out of a gun, throwing and spinning basketballs off the side of dams -- etc; but I don't think this would apply to calibrating your mavic since you're spinning, not the mavic.
2018-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

digitalintruder Posted at 2018-2-13 13:44
Think this applies to the trajectory when bullets are shot out of a gun, throwing and spinning basketballs off the side of dams -- etc; but I don't think this would apply to calibrating your mavic since you're spinning, not the mavic.

Both, me and mavic are spinning. So called "DJI dance". But I do agree this is not exact science.
2018-2-13
Use props
fans60d42606
United States

Mine drifted twice when proximity sensor went off as I was landing though would have been clear to land. Crashed both times, second time went over the railing into the creek.
2019-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules