Here's why your maps aren't loading(Android)
8057 25 2016-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb6ba52fb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

Here's your Android fix fellas,,,,,,
DJI Mindy have your engineers look into why this solution fixes the  problem. This takes care of it. Get your normal Google maps back and they are fast!!!

On your android devices go into Settings/Apps/DJI GO4/ Permissions/Disable "Storage"
Device will automatically revert to Google maps instead of the HERE maps garbage.
2016-12-27
Use props
WMF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15358 ft
United States

Any idea where this might be on the P4+,  I've looked all over, doesn't look like it's an option with the + users...good find!
2016-12-27
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90459 ft
United Kingdom

Thank you for posting this fix. I think this map issue is one of the hottest issues on the forum at the moment. Is this just for the GO 4 app do you know?  Just on that note - is the GO 4 app ok to use with the regular P4?

Thanks.
2016-12-27
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90459 ft
United Kingdom

Thank you this worked!!!
2016-12-27
Use props
fansb6ba52fb
lvl.3
United States

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2016-12-28 10:40
Thank you for posting this fix. I think this map issue is one of the hottest issues on the forum at the moment. Is this just for the GO 4 app do you know?  Just on that note - is the GO 4 app ok to use with the regular P4?

Thanks.

Not sure about the Pro+. The only experience I have with it is on Android with the GO4 app and P4P. I believe you can use the Go4 on the P4. Not positive as I haven't tried it. I'm using an Nvidia Shield Tablet.
I thought that by posting this that the forum moderators will see it and have the engineers look into why it's this way. And hopefully fix it by getting rid of the HERE maps altogether.
2016-12-27
Use props
WMF
lvl.2
United States

I have P4+,  any reason I cannot order & use the standard controller?  This fix makes me want to switch!
2016-12-27
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

WMF Posted at 2016-12-27 20:13
Any idea where this might be on the P4+,  I've looked all over, doesn't look like it's an option with the + users...good find!

I don't see any way to do it on the + either
2016-12-27
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Won't disabling permission for storage prevent the app from storing any cached videos or images on your device?
2016-12-27
Use props
Pauxier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hoped this would work for me. It did not. It seems like too much of a workaround for my taste. I think I will wait and see what DJI does about this.
2016-12-27
Use props
Noelsta
New

Australia

Thank you. that is one of many issues sorted.  I do get int_MAP file error message but works, just have to fire up wifi first get map then turn wifi off so it will not conflict. I way rather 2.4 over 5.8 any day for video feed.
2016-12-27
Use props
fansb6ba52fb
lvl.3
United States

Noelsta Posted at 2016-12-28 11:46
Thank you. that is one of many issues sorted.  I do get int_MAP file error message but works, just have to fire up wifi first get map then turn wifi off so it will not conflict. I way rather 2.4 over 5.8 any day for video feed.

I got that map error also but it didn't seem to affect the operation. Haven't had time to test how long they stay cache'd yet so post back if there's anything odd with it. I did shut everything down, rebooted the Nvidia Shield and the remote and turned wifi off and they seemed to still be there. I'm hoping this at least holds us over until DJI experts get it fixed.

On a side note I did have problems at first getting the Shield to allow me to move the slider to disable storage for the GO4 app until I disabled app overlays. But I think that was due to ES File Explorer trying to overlay over the settings app.
2016-12-27
Use props
fansb6ba52fb
lvl.3
United States

Sorry plus pilots, I have no idea what the OS even looks like on those remotes. Hopefully DJI will get this patched soon. It's not critical but it sure is a nice feature.
2016-12-27
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2016-12-27 16:40

Thanks.

Aloha phantom,

Yes, I am using the DJI GO 4 app on my P4 and it works well except for the maps.  Be sure to uninstall DJI GO before you fly or it will conflict.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansb6ba52fb Posted at 2016-12-27 17:05
Not sure about the Pro+. The only experience I have with it is on Android with the GO4 app and P4P. I believe you can use the Go4 on the P4. Not positive as I haven't tried it. I'm using an Nvidia Shield Tablet.
I thought that by posting this that the forum moderators will see it and have the engineers look into why it's this way. And hopefully fix it by getting rid of the HERE maps altogether.

Aloha fansb6,

Yes, I use the DJI GO 4 app on my nVidia Shield K1 for my P4.  Just be sure to uninstall the DJI GO app to avoid conflicts.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

WMF Posted at 2016-12-27 17:10
I have P4+,  any reason I cannot order & use the standard controller?  This fix makes me want to switch!

Aloha WMF,

Yes, you can buy the P4 Pro controller for $315 and do as described.  You will just have to link the P4P AC to the new RC.  The Pro controller will also allow you to use third party software, unlike the Pro + (plus) controller.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-28
Use props
WMF
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2016-12-28 04:41
Aloha WMF,

Yes, you can buy the P4 Pro controller for $315 and do as described.  You will just have to link the P4P AC to the new RC.  The Pro controller will also allow you to use third party software, unlike the Pro + (plus) controller.

Thanks! sounds like a plan!  I was already thinking about it,  just to have a larger monitor.  It won't hurt to have both,  the Pro+ controller is very convenient.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-28 11:26
Won't disabling permission for storage prevent the app from storing any cached videos or images on your device?

Since 'Storage' is essentially the save mechanic as a whole, it would also hinder the ability to store flight records in the DJI Go app as well. If you end up decimating your aircraft to where you can't read the stored .DAT files or lose your aircraft altogether, you'll end up losing these backup flight records to make any sort of warranty claim.
2016-12-28
Use props
fansb6ba52fb
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-29 00:31
Since 'Storage' is essentially the save mechanic as a whole, it would also hinder the ability to store flight records in the DJI Go app as well. If you end up decimating your aircraft to where you can't read the stored .DAT files or lose your aircraft altogether, you'll end up losing these backup flight records to make any sort of warranty claim.

Ouch! I knew this was too good to be good. Hope there's a fix soon. It is odd that disabling storage allows Google maps to run.
2016-12-28
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Well, perhaps DJI will take care of it and give us an option to use google ro the other crappy service?DJI? Can you elaborate on the whole maps issue?
2016-12-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The 'fix' didn't work on my Nexus 7 II, with DJI Go 4 failing initialisation with all connected.

However it looks like the server issue has been resolved.

'Here' maps are now back, albeit poor in detail, looks like it has been intentionally crippled. Or maybe waiting for the Phantoms to provide the UHD version

Interesting to see that all the industrial sites where I live are in much clearer detail than the rest of the City which is all a bit foggy.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-12-29 04:09
Well, perhaps DJI will take care of it and give us an option to use google ro the other crappy service?DJI? Can you elaborate on the whole maps issue?

I would be speculating as to why DJI chose to go with Here maps instead of remaining with Google and do not know whether providing a map provider option would be possible. All issues that had you guys have provided had been passed to the development for review, and we can only wait to see what would be done to improve the interface.

Regarding the satellite view issue with the Android Go app, it looks like it was a temporary issue, and satellite view should be working again, for what it is.
2016-12-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

WMF Posted at 2016-12-28 03:51
Thanks! sounds like a plan!  I was already thinking about it,  just to have a larger monitor.  It won't hurt to have both,  the Pro+ controller is very convenient.

Aloha WMF,

Do be aware that the CrystalSky 7.85" display/device could also fit in the P4 Pro device holder.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-28
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
United States

For what it's worth, I put the settings back to enable storage so the flight logs, etc get recorded. Figured it wasn't worth not having the critical flight logs than having maps.
The HERE maps are working now BUT they don't cache like Google did. Can we just get Google back? Just put it back to the way it was already.
2016-12-28
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4820 ft
United States

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2016-12-28 20:13
For what it's worth, I put the settings back to enable storage so the flight logs, etc get recorded. Figured it wasn't worth not having the critical flight logs than having maps.
The HERE maps are working now BUT they don't cache like Google did. Can we just get Google back? Just put it back to the way it was already.

turn on the china maps and zoom out on your map... should be able to cache the whole state (or province) or wherever you are, it'll have chinese written above the city names. That's how I got the maps to work on mine-- I just had a white blank space before I did that, now I have great detailed satellite views of the entire state
2016-12-28
Use props
WMF
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2016-12-28 16:37
Aloha WMF,

Do be aware that the CrystalSky 7.85" display/device could also fit in the P4 Pro device holder.

Hello & thanks, another good reason!  
2016-12-29
Use props
NatasataN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100574 ft
Canada

Wow, Thank you so much! This worked flawlessly!
2017-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules