Anyone tried filming fireworks with their P4P yet?
1126 10 2016-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gr8pics
lvl.2

Norway

Anyone with a video online?
2016-12-29
Use props
Maurice Marques
lvl.1

United States

I guess it would be against the FAA rules to do it, right?
2016-12-29
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

there are a lot of video on utube shot with the p4 but none yet with p4 pro due to it just came out, not against faa regs that I know of, unless your flying  commercial
2016-12-29
Use props
Maurice Marques
lvl.1

United States

So if you are not flying commercial you can fly at night? And also the other rules like, flying from a moving vehicle?
2016-12-29
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218087 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maurice Marques Posted at 2016-12-29 08:56
So if you are not flying commercial you can fly at night? And also the other rules like, flying from a moving vehicle?

Whats crazy is that it seems you are correct... In every FAA publication I have been reading, the night flying restriction seems to be imposed ONLY on commercial operators...but  need to investigate the model aircraft rules which apply to drones not being flown for commercial use

-High level FAA guidelines: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/
-Digging into the model aircraft regs, the word 'night' isnt even found in the entire document.
-Digging into the AMA manual leads to this https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF
*Specifically, section B, point 8
8. RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination
systems are inadequate for night flying operations.

My conclusions:
*You CAN fly at night, for NON COMMERCIAL purposes as long as you follow the guidelines, line of sight being key.
*You CANNOT fly at night for COMMERCIAL purposes unless you have previous authorization / waiver

Cheers and fly safe!
2016-12-29
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

not p4 but p3s and was awesome. had few fly up and burst right in front.
2016-12-29
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

Maurice Marques Posted at 2016-12-29 08:56

AMA members get leniency on certain things I believe night flying is 1 and 400 foot ceiling is another they do have some am a sponsored night flying events
2016-12-29
Use props
gr8pics
lvl.2

Norway

Langstonius Posted at 2016-12-29 10:46
Whats crazy is that it seems you are correct... In every FAA publication I have been reading, the night flying restriction seems to be imposed ONLY on commercial operators...but  need to investigate the model aircraft rules which apply to drones not being flown for commercial use

Yea, thas just silly, the amateurs can fly with no responsibilities, at the same time they are the ones that cause all the accidents and dangerous situations that are the source for all the regulations we got now.

About night flying that requires lighting systems providing clear view of models attitude and orientation, Phantom does so by its green and red leds.
You can also equip them with a couple of Lume cubes to add an extra strobe function to front and aft, so in my opinion it should be allowed.
However, flying INTO the fireworks is not very wise, but same safety distances should apply.

I got the nations most spectacular fireworks in my town new years eve, and its on the pier by the see, plan to hang above the water at safe distance to make sure no one is exposed of any possible failures.

For this kind of filming, i would assume finding the base ISO on this camera for best dynamic range, and then long exposures along with lowest fps plus max aperture.
Btw, anyone happen to know the base ISO on P4P?
2016-12-29
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

gr8pics Posted at 2016-12-29 11:00
Yea, thas just silly, the amateurs can fly with no responsibilities, at the same time they are the ones that cause all the accidents and dangerous situations that are the source for all the regulations we got now.

About night flying that requires lighting systems providing clear view of models attitude and orientation, Phantom does so by its green and red leds.

+1 on that, we always get new Regulations, because people fail to comply with Safety Regulations and fail to have common sense.

Base ISO = 100, if that's what you are looking for.
2016-12-29
Use props
f3honda4me
lvl.1
United States

Steve-76 Posted at 2016-12-29 10:50
AMA members get leniency on certain things I believe night flying is 1 and 400 foot ceiling is another they do have some am a sponsored night flying events

You actually dont need to be an AMA member to get more "leniency".  The reason is that the FAA is extremely limited in how they can regulate HOBBYISTS, where as commercial they have authority to regulate all aspects.
2016-12-29
Use props
gr8pics
lvl.2

Norway

Ange1walk Posted at 2016-12-29 11:19
+1 on that, we always get new Regulations, because people fail to comply with Safety Regulations and fail to have common sense.

Base ISO = 100, if that's what you are looking for.

No, not the min ISO, the ISO where the dynamic range is optimal. Not to be confused with noise...
2016-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules