Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Charging second batter
2466 22 2015-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shahdy
lvl.1

Maldives

this could be a really stupid question - but can you charge a second battery without an additional charger? I noticed an extra charging cable loop in the pack (one end similar to the going to the controller and the other one to the battery) - but could not realise what it is for. Any thoughts?

Cheers

2015-2-14
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
lvl.4
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I thought the Inspire has the ability to charge both your battery and a controller at the same time.  Maybe that is what the 2nd cable is?
2015-2-14
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The extra cable that you have is to charge your Controller in the field if it goes low, Plug the Battery end into a spare Battery and the other end into your Controller. The Charger is made to charge one Battery at a time. In other words charge the Battery and when it is done charge the Controller. Do not charge both at the same time and don't even think about doing two Batteries at the same time. Y may ruin the Charger all together.
2015-2-14
Use props
shahdy
lvl.1

Maldives

rodger Posted at 2015-2-14 21:04
The extra cable that you have is to charge your Controller in the field if it goes low, Plug the Bat ...

thanks roger - understood. so the second cable is a backup in case the controller battery dies during and outing and you can use it to charge the controller using a second charged battery.

cheer.
2015-2-14
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

shahdy@me.com Posted at 2015-2-14 21:31
thanks roger - understood. so the second cable is a backup in case the controller battery dies dur ...

Yes Sir, exactly right. Connect the Cable to a Battery and then connect the other end into the Controller. That will get you back in the air.
2015-2-14
Use props
Markwiss
lvl.1

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-14 21:35
Yes Sir, exactly right. Connect the Cable to a Battery and then connect the other end into the Con ...

roger  - So if I have a DC/AC converter plugged in, I can use the charger to charge the second battery AND to power the RC during flight at the same time?  
2015-2-14
Use props
pbofavl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1307631 ft
United States

Manual say not to charge battery and Transmitter (controller) at the same time.
2015-2-14
Use props
Markwiss
lvl.1

United States

pbofavl Posted at 2015-2-15 00:00
Manual say not to charge battery and Transmitter (controller) at the same time.

That's what I read, too... I had hoped there had been an upgrade ..thanks
2015-2-14
Use props
cpslutz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2722556 ft
United States

Markwiss Posted at 2015-2-15 00:08
That's what I read, too... I had hoped there had been an upgrade ..thanks

So, manual says not to charge controller and battery at same time.  I put volt and amp reader on during charging:  Controller alone drew .43 amps and 25 watts.  TB47 (at 18% charge) alone drew .88 amps and 105 watts.  Controller and TB47 charging together drew .88 amps and 104 watts.  Hmmm, does not seem the load on the charger is higher with both plugged in.  Maybe with both plugged in, only one is charging, then switches to the other.  Don't know.  Have not tested how long it takes to charge both together and then both individually.
2015-2-14
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Markwiss Posted at 2015-2-14 23:20
roger  - So if I have a DC/AC converter plugged in, I can use the charger to charge the second bat ...

On the first part yes you could use a converter to use the charger and the second part I would imagine so because the Batteries in the Controller would filter any AC ripple.
2015-2-14
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

cpslutz Posted at 2015-2-15 00:52
So, manual says not to charge controller and battery at same time.  I put volt and amp reader on d ...

The numbers are OK but there may be an issue in establishing the time to cut off the charge. The Battery is no ordinary Battery. It has some very sensitive electronics within. There has to be a reason for DJI to advise you not to do it. Personally I won't do it and many others have purchased extra Chargers.
2015-2-14
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

cpslutz Posted at 2015-2-15 00:52
So, manual says not to charge controller and battery at same time.  I put volt and amp reader on d ...

Another thought. I have not checked this my self other than the Inspire Battery is 22.8 Volts. The Controller is ?? Also I did notice on my Controller that it runs warmer to the touch than my Phantoms. I would imagine that the Controller Battery has a larger capacity due to the increase in range and that the Wi-Fi is built into the Controller.
2015-2-14
Use props
jessecarllane
lvl.1

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-15 05:47
Another thought. I have not checked this my self other than the Inspire Battery is 22.8 Volts. The ...

I initially charged both the remote and aircraft battery simultaneously and had no problem.

Then I discovered that the user manual recommended not to do that. Ever since, I have only used the charger to charge one at a time and ordered extra chargers (and batteries)
2015-2-14
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jessecarllane Posted at 2015-2-15 10:32
I initially charged both the remote and aircraft battery simultaneously and had no problem.

Then  ...

You just made me realize something but I am not sure id I did that also the first time. What I did notice is the first charge took very little time compared to the second time. The first charge that took little time did not operate the Inspire or Controller, Controller especially. The second charge took almost 3 time longer to charge thereby giving the Batteries optimum capacity. That makes me think that by charging both at the same time offsets the the cut off point.
There were a couple of Posts on the Forum that stated they only got 8 minutes of flight time and they were very upset. I wonder if they charged the both batteries at the same time?
2015-2-15
Use props
Markwiss
lvl.1

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-15 22:17
You just made me realize something but I am not sure id I did that also the first time. What I did ...

The second charging was longer?  Was the battery discharged to the same level before charging?
2015-2-17
Use props
Markwiss
lvl.1

United States

Did you note how many AMPS were drawn with both devices plugged in?  If the draw is large, charging the two batteries at the same time should probably make the charger explode .  
2015-2-17
Use props
Markwiss
lvl.1

United States

Markwiss Posted at 2015-2-17 20:23
Did you note how many AMPS were drawn with both devices plugged in?  If the draw is large, charging  ...

Or melt the electronics.
2015-2-17
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.3

United States

This is odd. In all the instructional videos I've been watching from dealers they all state that you can charge the battery & controller at the same time. Has something changed recently that DJI now wants us to only charge one at a time? If so, this is extremely inefficient and very time consuming for the end user. To charge either the battery or controller alone takes 1- 1 1/2 hours. This means I would be sitting around for 3 hours waiting to fly again assuming I only had one battery. I know many people will buy extra batteries and chargers but not everyone can afford an additional $1000 to buy extras. Seems like they could find a faster and more efficient way for recharging both at the same time without any issues.

Just my thoughts!
2015-2-17
Use props
david.askew.hot
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I just spoke with my supplier who informs me it's just because the transformer can get a little hot when charging both at the same time. They say there shouldn't be any issues charging both realistically. I've always charged both at the same time and had no issues, but if your paranoid about it maybe just buy an additional charger so you can charge both at the same time?
2015-2-17
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Most lipo problems (not just the I1) occur when charging.
DJI is suggesting caution about charging TX and flight battery simultaneously because of this.
And a lipo fire is no joke!

A second charger is $55
http://www.empirerc.com/dji-insp ... c-cable-p-9023.html
The power cord is $6
http://www.empirerc.com/dji-insp ... part-19-p-9122.html
And when just charging a lipo, the I1 charger gets fairly warm.
2015-2-17
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2015-2-17 21:35
Most lipo problems (not just the I1) occur when charging.
DJI is suggesting caution about charging T ...

So the power cord is separate. I thought someone had said that. Some of the Dealers must be including them.
2015-2-17
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-17 21:45
So the power cord is separate. I thought someone had said that. Some of the Dealers must be includ ...

Separate power cord allows worldwide sale of same charger without having to include extra power cords that would be of no use and extra charge...
2015-2-17
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2015-2-17 21:54
Separate power cord allows worldwide sale of same charger without having to include extra power co ...

I realize that. DJI use to include one cord with the charger and then some adapters which were useless to me. Some Dealers in the States are supplying a US cord with the charger so you don't have to go hunting for one.
2015-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules