Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
IPad mini 2 unstable video feed/latency problem iOS app. 1.00
7067 23 2015-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mkell7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 307431 ft

I have a dual controller inspire 1 using an Nvidia shield on one, and a recently purchased refurbished iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular Year: Late 2013 Model: A1490. The shield works perfect with no discernible lag/latency issue, however the iPad mini 2 lags behind considerably. This happens both in master and slave modes when linked to the inspire. This is with the controllers both being within two feet of each other to the inspire. The. Inspire was stationary during this test, and gps strength fluctuated between weak and strong.

At times the feed can be almost a full second behind the Nvidia shield and the video becomes very pixelated with black and green dropout (it sounds very similar to another thread: Inspire video feed not working - via ipad mini - app .9.2) However, this is the first instance I've come across this happening with an iPad mini 2. My questions are, could it be the iPad (refurbished) itself that is an issue? Lighting to usb cable? A dji pilot app issue?

Has anyone else experienced this with an iPad mini 2 running under the current app version?
2015-2-14
Use props
craig.montanapa
lvl.1

United States

I had the same problem. You need a newer iPad with an a7 processor, not the older a5 chip.
2015-2-14
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

craig.montanapa Posted at 2015-2-15 08:50
I had the same problem. You need a newer iPad with an a7 processor, not the older a5 chip.

Yes I have an iPad mini 2 wi-fi with the A7 processor and it has no lag!!!!
2015-2-14
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that you are using two different platforms and they will not mix. I am surprised that they work at all. Try the iPad alone and see what happens? I don't think that what you are doing is possible and you may run into greater issues such as a fly away, Bird gone!
2015-2-14
Use props
mkell7
lvl.3

I may be wrong in assuming this, but I was under the impression that all iPad mini 2 models carried  the A7 processor.

The (3) models are A1489- wifi only (late 2013)
A1490- wifi +cellular ( late 2013)      (the model I purchased)
And A1491 wifi + cellular w/ LTE ( early 2014)

So I believe I should be capable of running the app with the iPad i have.
2015-2-14
Use props
krusher
lvl.1

Philippines

craig.montanapa Posted at 2015-2-15 08:50

but ipad mini2 is equipped with A7 processor...
2015-2-14
Use props
dennis.hinkamp.
lvl.1
United States

I bought a new iPad2 mini specifically to  work with my new Inspire and it has been nothing but headaches for the last 48 hours. No matter what I do it freeze if I go back and forth between photo and video; tried all the firmware updates, hours on chat and DJI phone line. At this point I would pay whatever to get a device that works. ... and I'm a DJI fanboy with hundreds of P1 and P2 flights
2015-2-16
Use props
mkell7
lvl.3
United States

dennis.hinkamp. Posted at 2015-2-17 10:24
I bought a new iPad2 mini specifically to  work with my new Inspire and it has been nothing but head ...

Sorry to hear that. I went so far as to go to the apple store this morning with inspire in hand and my ipad mini 2 to show them the issue. Unfortunately, when I went in I ended up having the same exact problem across both my ipad mini 2 and the Nvidia shield that I reported earlier. Since it was happening on both devices, I can't say for sure I know where the problem lies at this point. I have another week to return the ipad if I want.

I took my inspire and tablets out for a couple more flights today and it was mostly acceptable. YMMV.
2015-2-16
Use props
Hinkamp
lvl.1
United States

mkell7 Posted at 2015-2-17 12:21
Sorry to hear that. I went so far as to go to the apple store this morning with inspire in hand an ...

yeah the problem is "mostly acceptable" isn't  much good if you miss the shot that you need done for a project. Are there any tablets that seem to be extremely stable? I'm guessing their rush to put out the iOS apps means they have bugs that can be fixed but I'm not sure how long I'm willing to wait.  
2015-2-17
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Check you have all apple updates and its not running something in the back ground as well.

I would also borrow a second Ipad mini 2 from someone (if poss) and try them together to see if the same issue occurs.

They're the first steps I would take.
2015-2-17
Use props
mkell7
lvl.3
United States

Hinkamp Posted at 2015-2-18 01:46
yeah the problem is "mostly acceptable" isn't  much good if you miss the shot that you need done f ...

You're right though. I may have been unclear in my language. the drop out in video signal I had yesterday was much more forgiving and manageable for what I was doing, and was far better than the inconsistencies I had prior. Of course, any delay is serious not only for proper operation and safety of the craft but also for getting that shot. Since i've experienced it both on the ipad and shield now, i'm hoping it can become more stable with future app and firmware updates.
2015-2-17
Use props
Hinkamp
lvl.1
United States

Pretty much been doing nothing but trying to fix this for the last 48 hours, firmware updates, reinstall app, test iPad mini 2 ... it always freezes at an unpredictable time. I have been careful to not actually fly the Inspire so that I can get a refund; these are all ground tests.
For what it is worth, I loved the Phantom 1 and 2, I'm not a newbie to gadgets.
2015-2-18
Use props
Chris Con
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501175 ft
United States

Make sure you have hardware acceleration turned on in the iOS app. It makes a BIG difference with lag.
2015-2-18
Use props
mkell7
lvl.3
United States

Chris Con Posted at 2015-2-19 10:05
Make sure you have hardware acceleration turned on in the iOS app. It makes a BIG difference with la ...

Hey Chris, where would that setting be found in the iOS app?
2015-2-19
Use props
BHoskins
lvl.1

United States

Sounds similar to the issues I was having.  Put your device in airplane mode or switch off the wifi. This made a huge difference for me.
2015-2-19
Use props
Chris Con
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501175 ft
United States

mkell7 Posted at 2015-2-20 06:07
Hey Chris, where would that setting be found in the iOS app?

click the cog icon in the upper right hand corner and scroll down.
2015-2-19
Use props
chadfish
lvl.1

United States

So mkell7, did turning on airplane mode fix the issue? I have the same issue.
2015-4-30
Use props
Kinjari
New

United States

chadfish@sbcglo Posted at 2015-5-1 12:05
So mkell7, did turning on airplane mode fix the issue? I have the same issue.

I had a similar issue. I have an iPad 2 mini with the a7 processor. Turning on airplane mode virtually fixed the issue but I still had some artifacts and lag every now and then. I have since turned on hardware decoding (what used to be called hardware acceleration in the earlier versions) in the pilot app and its even better now with zero lag or distorted pixels.

I only have a couple of flights with the hardware decoding enabled but so far so good.

Hope that helps.
2015-8-18
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

There is a well known yet unresolved issue with latency/drop out of video feed to the slave controller, regardless of type of tablet used. (android / iOS)
I use iPad mini 2's on both, no lag or issue on master, always lags/ breakup on slave. Problem is not with the iPad.
2015-8-18
Use props
mixmaven
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1699081 ft
  • >>>
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-8-19 08:54
There is a well known yet unresolved issue with latency/drop out of video feed to the slave controll ...

The generally suggested fix for trouble with your video drop out and slave rc issues is to use manual channel selection and drop your data rate to 4Mbps.  

If you are located in a country (UK) that does not support channel selection, you may need to select a different region in your ipad settings, like the US.  
2015-8-18
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

Manual selection and data rate drop doesn't fix it Mix - the core issue was the removal of available channels and transmit power in a firmware update a few months ago.
2015-8-18
Use props
mixmaven
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1699081 ft
  • >>>
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-8-19 10:24
Manual selection and data rate drop doesn't fix it Mix - the core issue was the removal of available ...

It does make a drastic difference, while not perfect, it is much better.  Have you tested manual channel selection with the latest firmware and app?  
2015-8-18
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

I've tested this for a while now, including using the latest version of both firmware and app.
Last variable I tried was to apply the magic dji.configs file - it loaded fine via iTunes onto both iPads but I didn't see any difference in App behaviour, settings, number of channels etc.
I've been ill this past week so have not been able to undertake any flight ops with the dji.configs file in place.

The issue really boils down to a once reliable feature of the product being degraded following the update - I know that DJI did this to regain compliance status, but in the process they have invalidated the only real product differentiator between the $5000+ dual controller Inspire and a P3 at less than half the cost. I do a lot of 2-op flight operations primarily for the sake of safety and to better manage risk in the type of events and locations I'm working on. The poor video feed to the slave controller has had a big impact on the Inspire's ability here.

2015-8-18
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here are the spec's for the iPad mini 2 that I have and no lag in my video. Sometimes when I am running Shou in the background it will lag a touch...

""Every little bit as amazing.

Any way you look at it, iPad mini is just incredible. And the stunning Retina display is only the beginning. With a new A7 chip, advanced wireless, and powerful apps - all beautifully integrated with iOS 7 - iPad mini with Retina display lets you do more than you ever imagined. Feature for feature, it's identical to iPad Air in every way. Except for its super-portable, hold-it-in-one-hand, still-just-right mini size.

The Specs
Pricing
Part Number ME280LL/A  
Battery Information
Battery Chemistry Lithium Polymer (Li-Polymer)  
Maximum Battery Run Time 10 Hour  
Battery Energy 23.80 Wh  

Interfaces/Ports

Audio Line Out Yes  

Display & Graphics

Screen Size 7.90 "
Touchscreen Yes  
Display Screen Type Active Matrix TFT Color LCD  
Aspect Ratio 4:3  
Screen Mode QXGA  
Screen Resolution 2048 x 1536  
Backlight Technology LED  
Multi-touch Screen Yes  
Graphics Controller Manufacturer Imagination Technologies  
Graphics Controller Model PowerVR G6430  
Display Screen Technology Retina Display, In-plane Switching (IPS) Technology  
Pixel Density 326 ppi  

Storage

Optical Drive Type No  
Flash Memory Capacity 32 GB  

General Information

Manufacturer Apple, Inc  
UPC Code 43211509  
Manufacturer Part Number ME280LL/A  
Brand Name Apple  
Product Name iPad mini ME280LL/A Tablet  
Marketing Information
Every little bit as amazing.

Any way you look at it, iPad mini is just incredible. And the stunning Retina display is only the beginning. With a new A7 chip, advanced wireless, and powerful apps - all beautifully integrated with iOS 7 - iPad mini with Retina display lets you do more than you ever imagined. Feature for feature, it's identical to iPad Air in every way. Except for its super-portable, hold-it-in-one-hand, still-just-right mini size.

Product Model ME280LL/A  
Product Type Tablet  
Manufacturer Website Address http://www.apple.com  
Product Line iPad mini  

Lens

Focus Modes Auto-focus  

Miscellaneous

Package Contents •iPad mini ME280LL/A Tablet
•AC Adapter
•Lightning to USB Cable
•USB Power Adapter

Network & Communication