Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying at -30°C
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantom3ProPilo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

I'm going to a ski resort tommorow and will stay there for a week
I'm worried about flying my drone at temperatures that low (from -20°C to -30°C)
I know I have to heat them up and when the drone is powered on, let it hover for a bit and not to go full throttle And I'm also aware that they won't last as long as in normal conditions
But is it actually ok to fly at temperatures that low
What else should I do to fly safely?
2017-1-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It's important to start with your intelligent flight battery warm. Keep it in an insulated bag with a couple of hand or boot warmers.
DJI also sell battery warmers, that you can purchase and utilize the batteries own power to keep them at a safe operating temperature.

Definately go slow and steady, staying close to the home point. Incase anything does go awry. ;-)
Good luck, I hope all goes well. Post some pics or video of the wintery locale. Thanks.

RedHotPoker

2017-1-3
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9671732 ft
Canada

Sounds like you've got it covered.
I used a thermal lunch bag with a ziplock bag of rice, I nuke the rice for 20-30 seconds then place in the lunch bag with the batteries nice and toasty.
Check this forum, there are posts from other guys flying at these temperatures with some pretty amazing videos.
I live in Montreal where we can get those types of temperatures, but I'm hoping not to get any
So far my lowest temperature has been -9C in a small snow squall
2017-1-3
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
Second Officer
Croatia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-3 03:57
It's important to start with your intelligent flight battery warm. Keep it in an insulated bag with a couple of hand or boot warmers.
DJI also sell battery warmers, that you can purchase and utilize the batteries own power to keep them at a safe operating temperature.

Will do
Thanks
2017-1-3
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
Second Officer
Croatia

MaYhEm sMiLeY Posted at 2017-1-3 04:08
Sounds like you've got it covered.
I used a thermal lunch bag with a ziplock bag of rice, I nuke the rice for 20-30 seconds then place in the lunch bag with the batteries nice and toasty.
Check this forum, there are posts from other guys flying at these temperatures with some pretty amazing videos.

I heard of using rice as a battery warmer
Will try it
Thanks
2017-1-3
Use props
WYHSniper1007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

No you can't fly at that low tempeture!
2017-1-4
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
Second Officer
Serbia

WYHSniper1007 Posted at 2017-1-4 16:14
**** The author has been banned or deleted automatically shield ****

Why?
I haven't flown yet because it didn't stop snowing since I got here but I hope it will soon...
2017-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules