Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro RC Control Stick Removal Demo
11536 18 2017-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

CAUTION!:

Since first posting this, I have been told that there was a design change in the RC.  EARLY batches of RCs had sticks that could be removed, but later batches appear to have them secured somehow.  I don't know if they are glued or otherwise held in place, but they appear to be VERY secure.  

So, if you have an early batch Mavic (first couple months) or are just curious to see if your control sticks are removable, feel free to use this video as a reference on the best way I know of to remove them without damaging anything.  HOWEVER, if you have a controller that does not have removable control sticks or you just don't know, DON'T force them to the point of breaking your RC.

Original Post:
Since I've advocated quite a bit that the Mavic Control Sticks ARE removable, I've been asked to do a video to demontrate how I do it.  This is my first demo video, so I'm open to thoughtful and contructive suggestions.

I'm well-aware that some people do NOT want to remove the control sticks for storage and transport of their RC.  If that applies to you... then don't remove them.  I choose to remove mine for storage and want to show others an alternative to the "protective covers" and the "just store it with them defelcted" options.

Enjoy!

Gary

P.S.  If you're just interested in the method, go to about 3:44 on the video.  Thanks!

P.S.S.  DJI-Ken pointed out that there was a design change on "later" batches of the controller.  That said, I'll caveat everything above with "This is what works for me on the Mavics I have".  Your mileage may vary.  ;)

2017-1-3
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

FYI, as of the making of this video, I would say my sticks have been removed and re-installed about 50 times.
2017-1-3
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Thanks indeed! This demo is absolutely perfect for me, exactly what I was talking about! :-) Now unfortunatelly not having my Mavic with me, but will try it ASAP. :-)
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The sticks were only removable on the very first bunch of controllers.
They are not removeable, I've tried on a few RC's and with the one I have now and they do not pull out.
2017-1-3
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-3 13:06
They are not removeable, I've tried on a few RC's and with the one I have now and they do not pull out.

Interesting.  Any idea what the serial number cut-off was?

I ordered late (late October and beginning of November), but both of my Mavics came from large retailers (DroneNerds and Apple), so it is quite possible they got some of the first batch and the design has changed.

Gary
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Gary Mac Posted at 2017-1-3 13:07
Interesting.  Any idea what the serial number cut-off was?

I ordered late (late October and beginning of November), but both of my Mavics came from large retailers (DroneNerds and Apple), so it is quite possible they got some of the first batch and the design has changed.

Yes, only a small portion had removeable sticks. I played with a few and yes the sticks pulled out very easily and you could store them in the handle rubber clamps. I liked that as I could stick the RC in my pocket.
They changed the design and now they cannot be removed. I don't know what would happen if pulled too hard and could possibly break something.

My suggestion to everyone, if your sticks do no easily come out (which they probably do not) then do not attempt to pry them out as if something breaks then you will need to send the RC in for repair.
2017-1-3
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-3 13:26
Yes, only a small portion had removeable sticks. I played with a few and yes the sticks pulled out very easily and you could store them in the handle rubber clamps. I liked that as I could stick the RC in my pocket.
They changed the design and now they cannot be removed. I don't know what would happen if pulled too hard and could possibly break something.

Thanks Ken.  I couldn't agree more.

It is up to you how much pressure and how badly you want your control sticks to come out.  At the very least, I would NEVER used a method that holds the controller and pulls the control stick.  That is why I "pinched" mine to get them out.  If I couldn't do it by hand, I wouldn't worry about it and would adopt/live with some sort of a cover.
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Gary Mac Posted at 2017-1-3 13:34
Thanks Ken.  I couldn't agree more.

It is up to you how much pressure and how badly you want your control sticks to come out.  At the very least, I would NEVER used a method that holds the controller and pulls the control stick.  That is why I "pinched" mine to get them out.  If I couldn't do it by hand, I wouldn't worry about it and would adopt/live with some sort of a cover.

I agree. I took a damaged RC and still could not pull the sticks out. So hopefully no one will try to force them out and damage something.
2017-1-3
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-3 13:06

Thanks for info Ken, I tried today to remove them safely - like shown at the video.
Unfortunately my ones seem to be glued or so - I really can't pull them off. Too sad :-(

Do you knou PLZ if they are just glued or if there is some kind of different attachment?
THX.

PS: I ordered my Mavic in the half of November 2016 (received before Christmass)

2017-1-4
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

I could see damage resulting from doing this or even lost control sticks.
2017-1-4
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-3 14:05
I agree. I took a damaged RC and still could not pull the sticks out. So hopefully no one will try to force them out and damage something.

I tired with a bit of force but i couldn't remove mine ... i wouldn't like to try to pull them harder than i tired as it would have broke something ...
2017-1-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Willik Posted at 2017-1-4 00:45
Thanks for info Ken, I tried today to remove them safely - like shown at the video.
Unfortunately my ones seem to be glued or so - I really can't pull them off. Too sad :-(

I do not know how they are attached. I do know that damage would probably be done if you tried to force them out.
2017-1-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

4wesomeAdam Posted at 2017-1-4 03:31

100% correct, that's why no one should try. If they don't easily pop out then leave them alone.
2017-1-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-1-4 05:07
I tired with a bit of force but i couldn't remove mine ... i wouldn't like to try to pull them harder than i tired as it would have broke something ...

Correct, do not attempt to force them out.
You will damage them.
Then you will have to pay to have the RC repaired and you'll have to fly your Mavic with your phone/device for a few weeks and be extremely limited in features and range.
2017-1-4
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-1-4 05:07

I agree.  As I have stated, some force is fine, but if they aren't moving, then no reason to break the RC just for a convenience.
2017-1-4
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

4wesomeAdam Posted at 2017-1-4 03:31

IF you have a controller that has removable sticks, there is no fear of damage when you remove them the way I showed.  HOWEVER, there is ALWAYS a risk of losing a control stick.  This is an optional process... do it IF you want to.
2017-1-4
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

Tried. Works perfectly. Thank you.
I am just wondering will it lose stiffness of hole if you will make it many many many times =)
20170104_224426.jpg
2017-1-4
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

Gary Mac Posted at 2017-1-4 07:51
IF you have a controller that has removable sticks, there is no fear of damage when you remove them the way I showed.  HOWEVER, there is ALWAYS a risk of losing a control stick.  This is an optional process... do it IF you want to.

The removal may not. However, that receiver for the stick tab is a stress point. Putting it back in repeatedly can cause damage. And if the stick is dropped on the ground in some material like for example sand, mud, sticky substance or chemical could cause damage as well.
2017-1-7
Use props
BG2RIDE
New
United States

4wesomeAdam Posted at 2017-1-7 15:13
The removal may not. However, that receiver for the stick tab is a stress point. Putting it back in repeatedly can cause damage. And if the stick is dropped on the ground in some material like for example sand, mud, sticky substance or chemical could cause damage as well.

Just bought my Mavic Pro, put considerable pressure on my sticks ,they do not move. Fear of breaking something if I put more pressure. I have the guard ordered anyway.
2018-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules