Android Tablet for Phantom 4 Pro
9413 33 2017-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NewPro4user
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34964 ft
United States

New drone user trying to find an Android Tablet that will work with the P4P? Or a cheap to a middle, of the road in price IOS alternative to using with P4P. Thanks in advance.
2017-1-7
Use props
Shockwave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27274 ft
United Kingdom

Nvidia Shield is the best
2017-1-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha NewPro4user,

Shockwave nailed it!   The nVidia Shield K1 is only $200 but it is a top-of-the-line tablet.  The graphics are ready for 4K and with the P4P, it has a 1080p camera view.  I know of no other display than the P4 Pro+ (plus) that has a 1080p display.  It also has HDMI output for a second monitor or goggles.  I have an nVidia Shield K1 myself as does my friend and I am trying to get one for another friend who got a P3S for Christmas.

Look it up at the nVidia web site;

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/tablet/

It is in stock right now (not always the case).  

Because it is a gaming tablet, it has great graphics and powerful processors.  I would guess the camera alone is worth $350 and it has one on each side.  Hard to beat the nVidia Shield K1 tablet.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-7
Use props
NewPro4user
lvl.1
United States

Shockwave Posted at 2017-1-7 14:59

Thank You! Very Much!
2017-1-7
Use props
NewPro4user
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-1-7 15:47
Aloha NewPro4user,

Shockwave nailed it!   The nVidia Shield K1 is only $200 but it is a top-of-the-line tablet.  The graphics are ready for 4K and with the P4P, it has a 1080p camera view.  I know of no other display than the P4 Pro+ (plus) that has a 1080p display.  It also has HDMI output for a second monitor or goggles.  I have an nVidia Shield K1 myself as does my friend and I am trying to get one for another friend who got a P3S for Christmas.

Thank You! I really appreciate the help from both of you. I'll be ordering it.
2017-1-7
Use props
Dave in WI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 407415 ft
United States

I agree.  Got mine yesterday.  WOW. Bright, fast, perfect.  Flew a bit today.  Flawless.  Got Mr. Shield anti glare screen protector.  Gives it a matte finish, and really cuts down the glare.  Was like $7 for 3 on amzn.
2017-1-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dave in WI Posted at 2017-1-7 18:28
I agree.  Got mine yesterday.  WOW. Bright, fast, perfect.  Flew a bit today.  Flawless.  Got Mr. Shield anti glare screen protector.  Gives it a matte finish, and really cuts down the glare.  Was like $7 for 3 on amzn.

Aloha Dave,

Mahalo!  I had to make my matte finishes from other products.  One just barely fits on the nVidia Shield K1 before I cut it.  Now I do not have to risk damage.  Mahalo again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-8
Use props
S t e f a n
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4719222 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Nvidia is old. Has a very high power consumption. The display is dark (360 cd / m²). Cpu gets very hot.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (Version 2016) is the better device!
New generation.
Standby of 2 months.
The display is the brightest with 550 cd/m²
2017-1-8
Use props
eurocenter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12339 ft
Greece

+1............
2017-1-8
Use props
Irishbogman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 64318 ft
Ireland

I used an old Nexus 7 with my Mavic for the first time today, worked fine, using an Ipad Air 2 with my 4 Pro and its the business
2017-1-8
Use props
Ipecactus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25489 ft
United States

Irishbogman Posted at 2017-1-8 10:42
I used an old Nexus 7 with my Mavic for the first time today, worked fine, using an Ipad Air 2 with my 4 Pro and its the business

I found a bit of a video lag(frozen picture and artifact blocking) with my nexus 7 and my P4P. It looked like either the video feed was being interrupted or video processing just couldn't keep up.  

Have you had any issues like that with the live video feed to your nexus 7?
2017-1-8
Use props
Rjroxie
lvl.1

United States

Dave in WI Posted at 2017-1-7 18:28

So how does the screen look outside compared to an android phone, is it brighter or about the same?

Thank you
2017-1-9
Use props
luke007
lvl.2
Switzerland

i double that. bought the shield k1 just for that and im very pleased with it
2017-1-9
Use props
Rjroxie
lvl.1

United States

luke007 Posted at 2017-1-9 06:03
i double that. bought the shield k1 just for that and im very pleased with it

So how does the screen look outside compared to an android phone, is it brighter or about the same?

Thank you
2017-1-9
Use props
rallysquirrel82
lvl.2
United States

Is there a reason why you specifically don't want to use IOS? Nvidia is not on the approved devices for DJI Go, so you are taking a risk should something go wrong and you damage the Phantom, DJI may not provide any warranty if you're using a device not recommended. There are a ton of used Ipad Mini 2 with retina displays on ebay, I snagged one for $125 and works perfectly with mine
2017-1-9
Use props
NewPro4user
lvl.1
United States

S t e f a n Posted at 2017-1-8 01:11
Nvidia is old. Has a very high power consumption. The display is dark (360 cd / m²). Cpu gets very hot.

Stefan thanks for the information I'll be checking that tablet out as well. Have you had any problems whatsoever with this tablet working with your P4P?
2017-1-9
Use props
ah42
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68353 ft
United States

Nvidia Shield is a good option, but the 2nd gen Nexus 7 is great too. Nexus 7 has a slightly brighter screen at 583 nits vs 477 nits in the Shield. Either one is a good option though.
2017-1-9
Use props
luke007
lvl.2
Switzerland

Rjroxie Posted at 2017-1-9 06:15

Thank you

it bright enough for me when no direct sunlight. in the sun i use a modified dji tablet sunshade. works fine for me brightnesswise
2017-1-9
Use props
NewPro4user
lvl.1
United States

rallysquirrel82 Posted at 2017-1-9 07:10
Is there a reason why you specifically don't want to use IOS? Nvidia is not on the approved devices for DJI Go, so you are taking a risk should something go wrong and you damage the Phantom, DJI may not provide any warranty if you're using a device not recommended. There are a ton of used Ipad Mini 2 with retina displays on ebay, I snagged one for $125 and works perfectly with mine

I just prefer Android I've not had and IOS tablet or phone since I Phone 4S. From what I've found through research mostly everyone recommends the Nvidia K1 it seems to even work better than the Samsung tablets which I'm using now.
2017-2-13
Use props
Tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

Does the NVIDIA SHIELD have GPS?  I heard the the follow me mode wont work unless you have gps on your tablet.
2017-2-13
Use props
Fiveform 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136230 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ever since the Android Nougat (v7) upgrade Go4 crashes on my Shield. As much as I love the Shield this needs to be fixed or I either continue using Litchi or move back to my Samsung Tab 4...
2017-3-30
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19928 ft
United States

Another option guys is a used Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 with the CM12.1 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM.  Works flawlessly, great resolution, no issues with DJI GO 4 (I have gone through 6 different ROMs trying to find a good one) and the battery life is awesome.

You should be able to buy one fairly cheap, since Samsung abandoned it on 4.4.2 KitKat.  You DO have to flash a custom ROM to it, but it isn't hard at all and works awesome.

Just another option.

Also, I might add, I ran 7.1.1 on a 2012 Edition Nexus 7 (1st gen) and it runs DJI GO 4 just fine outside of the known app exiting everyone has on 7.1.1.  Once DJI fixes the  DJI GO 4 app to run under 7.1.1 you can even use a much older tablet like that without issue.
2017-3-30
Use props
fansf23c3e7e
lvl.2
United States

Ever since the Android Nougat (v7) upgrade on the Nvidia Shield, the Go4 app crashes on my Shield.  As much as I love the Shield, this needs to be fixed, or I either continue using Litchi or need to find another tablet to use.  NOTE:  ( The Phantom 4 Pro with DJI Go 4 App works great on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Phone, but I do not want to use my phone to control the drone).  I need the Go4 APP but cant deal with crash of app in mid flight with Shield.  DJI does not have the Shield on its approved tablet list, and doesn't have any promise that The Phantom 4 Pro will ever be upgraded to use with the (7.0) Shield.
2017-5-12
Use props
HighCamera
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are they ever going to update "The List" of approved gadgets that work?
2017-5-12
Use props
NewPro4user
lvl.1
United States

HighCamera Posted at 2017-5-12 13:48
Are they ever going to update "The List" of approved gadgets that work?

That's a great question, I returned my Nvidia Tablet it had way too many problems after the upgrade to Nugent. I'm going to bit the bullet and get an I Pad they seem way more stable with almost zero problems.
2017-6-11
Use props
fans0bc416f9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8163 ft
United Kingdom

I have a Samsung galaxy tab 2
Can't get it to recognise the drone
It's a sim free model would this be suitable? Will it find gps without a card
2017-6-11
Use props
fans2a2a665b
New

United Kingdom

I'd like to try using some goggles but the P4 doesn't have a hdmi output. If I use a tablet that has an hdmi output can I use this for the goggles? Next question... Instead of getting a new tablet with hdmi can I just buy a USb to hdmi converter cable and use that?
2017-6-12
Use props
fans2a2a665b
New

United Kingdom

ext question... I'm considering some goggles from Babggood - how do they connect to the talet/controller?
2017-6-12
Use props
SargeAF
lvl.1
United States

I have a Azus on VZ and it has wonderful picture and clarity, the only problem I have and I find it with several tablets is the sun washes out the screen
2017-6-13
Use props
fans2a2a665b
New

United Kingdom

Is a Phantom 4 contoller output USB2 or a USB3? Does anyone know please?
2017-6-13
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans2a2a665b Posted at 2017-6-12 14:56
I'd like to try using some goggles but the P4 doesn't have a hdmi output. If I use a tablet that has an hdmi output can I use this for the goggles? Next question... Instead of getting a new tablet with hdmi can I just buy a USb to hdmi converter cable and use that?

The best option for adding HDMI output to a P3, P4 or P4Pro (but NOT the P4Pro Plus) RC is to purchase and install the DJI HDMI output module.  If you find this module on eBay - it might indicate it is for the P3Pro, but the same module is used to upgrade the P3Pro, P4 and P4Pro RCs. It works flawlessly, matches the RC color so it looks like original equipment after installation.  After installing the module, you will need to reinstall the firmware even if you have the latest firmware version to fully activate the HDMI module.  Then, there are settings in the DJI Go and DJI GO 4 app to turn on simultaneous video output to tablet and the HDMI output.  
2017-6-13
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

S t e f a n Posted at 2017-1-8 01:11

Hi What type of case do you use to protect it - When NOT flying? And... will that case fit on the RC Holder? Thanks!
2017-7-1
Use props
fansd77b4cd0
lvl.2
New Zealand

Below are some decent android devices that are compatible with the DJI Go App, I got the info from this article if you want to read any more. Hope this helps. If you have a tablet that doesn't have cellular functionaily, you won't be able to use 'follow me' or change your home point mid flight.

name
size
weight
CPU
Ram
GPS
      DJI Crystal Sky7.85   inches425gN/A4GBYes
Samsung Galaxy Tab   S39.7 inches428.9g2.15GHz4GBYes
Google   Nexus 98.9   inches425g2.3GHz2GBYes
NVIDIA Shield K18 inches356g2.2GHz2GBYes
Samsung   Galaxy Tab S2
9.7   inches
298g
1.9GHz
3GB
Yes

2017-9-22
Use props
fans95103aa4
lvl.1
Greece

Brian Fist Posted at 2017-3-30 16:12
Another option guys is a used Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 with the CM12.1 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM.  Works flawlessly, great resolution, no issues with DJI GO 4 (I have gone through 6 different ROMs trying to find a good one) and the battery life is awesome.

You should be able to buy one fairly cheap, since Samsung abandoned it on 4.4.2 KitKat.  You DO have to flash a custom ROM to it, but it isn't hard at all and works awesome.

Hey Brian, do you think that this ROM will work with the samsung galaxy Tab S 8.4 ( SM-T700 )
Im currently running marshmallow 6.0.1 but video feed lags all the time.
2017-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules