Video quality issues (washed out/oil painting effects)
2281 13 2017-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
raybanner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 440312 ft
Germany

Hi there,

i'm having big issues with the Mavic Pro regarding the video quality. Looking at my footage I see a lot of washed out/oil painting effects on different areas on the video, especially on trees. See the screenshot examples below, I marked the very bad areas with red arrows. You see sharp image on the branches against the sky, but everything else is very undetailed or acceptable. Also put two video examples (out of camera) here: 4k - Out of cam footage
I have examples of midday and a few of afternoon right before sunset. I know that these small camera cant handle light that well, especially when it gets a bit darker but this is very bad.

My settings for the camera:
All Manual, ISO 100, Shutter between 60-120
4k/30fps
D-Cinelike
Custom -2 -2 -2 (Sometimes -1 -2 -2)
Latest firmware

Also tried setting the sharpness to 0 or even +1. I does not help, it gets even worse regarding artifacts. Addtionally a camera reset didn't help.

I can't believe that this is somehow normal comparing it to other videos that I see on YouTube.
Any ideas what could help? I think that this is a software issue. Not happy with the footage i get.

[size=14.666666984558105px]

mavic_issues.jpg
2017-1-8
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Mine produces footage like this too. Assumed it was the quality of light. Interested to hear what others think.
2017-1-8
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I suspect that's what you should expect to get in low-light situations with this camera. I'd shoot with the default settings in good light with a decently high data rate like 2.7K and see if you're happier with the quality. There are reports of decentering/focus issues on some cameras but it's hard to tell if yours is suffering from the same problem at these light levels. Cheers.
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello raybanner, could you please upload the original video files from SD card to dropbox?
Please do not rename the video file as well. I'll help to check it.
Thanks for your cooperation.
2017-1-9
Use props
raybanner
lvl.2
Italy

Hi DJI Mindy,

i put a link in my original post.
You can download two small video files here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6quph ... jDmH8mwM4Edkta?dl=0
I didn't change anything on the files, its out of the sd card.

Thanks!
2017-1-9
Use props
Doi
lvl.1
Australia

Interested to hear DJI Mindy's thoughts on this, I think a lot of folks are in the same boat with this - me included.
2017-1-9
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

I think you are expecting too much from this camera in low light situations especially with a fixed ISO of 100.
2017-1-9
Use props
raybanner
lvl.2
Italy

Could be but when comparing to other Mavic and especially Phantom 4 (not Pro) videos from YouTube, they look somehow better than my footage.
2017-1-9
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It sounds like heresy when you're usually a manual guy but try the auto exposure - just set the EV and leave it to it.
Under exposing is bad news with this camera
Higher ISO is not a disaster and the auto adjustment is smooth and step free.
2017-1-9
Use props
raybanner
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Mindy,

please check this footage from just 2 hours ago.
Settings: 4k Cinelike, 0 0 0
Do you call this bad light outside? Its just mid of the day and cloudy. Its full of artefacts and other non cool stuff.

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f09is8mp4y95o2r/DJI_0050.MOV?dl=0
2017-1-15
Use props
fansb2892213
New

Canada

Following
2017-1-22
Use props
Leo Pan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1050000 ft

Taiwan

I have the same issue with My Brand new mavic!It happens some times, some times it is very crisp and sharp, some times it looks like oil painting,I had tried to reset all the settings and calibrate everything I could, it still happens!
2017-1-28
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The Mavic camera seems to need strong light to perform well.
2017-1-28
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-28 22:16
The Mavic camera seems to need strong light to perform well.

I'm not all that impressed with some of my footage shot with D-Cinelike, still experimenting.  I'm a bit of a post processing noob but I find D-Cinelike often difficult to work with depending on the subject and available light in post.  

As for low light - this camera seems to really shows it's limitations in low light. My phone does a marginally better job. I'm still working out the best settings for various situations. There seems to be a very fine line between muddy and sharp artifacts.

Will follow with interest in what others are finding is working. This camera is a different animal from the 3 & 4 series.
2017-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules