Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Loss of connection with X3 when in flight
1194 21 2017-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MHM2016
lvl.3
Flight distance : 176565 ft
United Kingdom

When flying my Inspire 1 V2 today, after about 4 minutes of the 3rd battery, I lost connection with the camera.
I had been doing some still shots of a house so not really high or far away. The tablet screen just greyed out and became unresponsive.
I physically disconnected the radio from the tablet and reconnected again which recovered the FPV but still no camera control which remained greyed out. I decided that I couldn't finish the job today so did not fly again after landing.
I recall the exact same thing happening on the last flight but I'd put it down to the excessively cold conditions. Not cold today with an ambient of around 10c.
I haven't yet tried to recreate this to try to narrow down possible reasons but wondered if anyone has had a similar issue or might know of any likely causes.
FYI, first 2 batteries were TB47s landed at about 30% and the 3rd a TB48 started at 100%. First 2 batteries, everything perfect. 3rd one, and lost camera. Strange?
The inspire has only done about 5 hours since new and has the latest FW.
I'm not sure if I should be looking at the camera, the tablet, or the software.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
:-)

2017-1-8
Use props
Robin UAV
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Is it an Android tablet? I had a similar issue with my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, I used it just once when I forgot my iPad home and it gave me that exact error. Never had any issues with the iPad.
2017-1-8
Use props
MHM2016
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Robin UAV Posted at 2017-1-8 17:21
Is it an Android tablet? I had a similar issue with my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, I used it just once when I forgot my iPad home and it gave me that exact error. Never had any issues with the iPad.

It is indeed an Android tablet.
I had a large 10 inch tablet but found it too cumbersome so changed it for a smaller 8 inch one.
Come to think of it, the issue has only been happening since I changed the tablet and started flying 3 batteries instead of 2.
Maybe I had better try the old tablet again to see if i get the same issue.
Thanks very much for a good thought. I appreciate it.
2017-1-9
Use props
Robin UAV
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Might worth getting an iPad or iPhone from a friend or something, or even another Android phone/tablet and give it a go.
Take care mate!
2017-1-9
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

MHM2016 Posted at 2017-1-9 13:52
It is indeed an Android tablet.
I had a large 10 inch tablet but found it too cumbersome so changed it for a smaller 8 inch one.
Come to think of it, the issue has only been happening since I changed the tablet and started flying 3 batteries instead of 2.

I would swap out the cable from the RC to the go app device first, see if it helps. In addition ,  I find my apple device works perfect 99.9 % of the time .

good luck,

donnie
2017-1-10
Use props
MHM2016
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-10 05:52
I would swap out the cable from the RC to the go app device first, see if it helps. In addition ,  I find my apple device works perfect 99.9 % of the time .

good luck,

Thanks very much guys!
I really appreciate your thoughts.
Will certainly start with them in mind.
Thanks again.
2017-1-10
Use props
fans1651e2ee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 176335 ft
United States

No its the tablet I to have the Samsung S2 it does that all the tme put the IPad on it no problems just change tablet the rest is a waste of time I know first hand.
2017-1-10
Use props
MHM2016
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fans1651e2ee Posted at 2017-1-10 14:13
No its the tablet I to have the Samsung S2 it does that all the tme put the IPad on it no problems just change tablet the rest is a waste of time I know first hand.

Excellent! Thanks for that.
Any particular iPad? Which one do you use?
2017-1-10
Use props
fans1651e2ee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 176335 ft
United States

IPad Pro and dont look back. 10 inch or 9.7 which ever they call it works great.
2017-1-10
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

MHM2016 Posted at 2017-1-10 14:31
Excellent! Thanks for that.
Any particular iPad? Which one do you use?

Get the I pad pro with GPS and Cell, then you can use the Follow Me feature as well.  The I pads are the best for this , get the 9.7 inch  , if you get the larger one you will need a special adapter to fit the RC , not a big deal , I have both , just letting you know.

donnie
2017-1-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

In regards to the loss of camera control, you were referring to just the app controls, or did the RC control go out as well?
2017-1-11
Use props
MHM2016
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-11 15:33
In regards to the loss of camera control, you were referring to just the app controls, or did the RC control go out as well?

Thanks to everyone for their inputs here!
Jamie, it was just the app that that failed I think.
I've been looking at getting an iPad Pro as suggested but wow, they're a load of money!
2017-1-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

MHM2016 Posted at 2017-1-12 15:41
Thanks to everyone for their inputs here!
Jamie, it was just the app that that failed I think.
I've been looking at getting an iPad Pro as suggested but wow, they're a load of money!

They can get pretty pricey. Just for reference, which Android tablets had you used thus far with this unit?
2017-1-12
Use props
MHM2016
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-12 21:21
They can get pretty pricey. Just for reference, which Android tablets had you used thus far with this unit?

Currently using an Asus Zenpad 80 with the latest Android OS.
It's a great little thing but after about half an hour of flight, I lose the video link and camera controls.
I appreciate your thoughts guys. Thank you!
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

MHM2016 Posted at 2017-1-16 13:35
Currently using an Asus Zenpad 80 with the latest Android OS.
It's a great little thing but after about half an hour of flight, I lose the video link and camera controls.
I appreciate your thoughts guys. Thank you!

Do you happen to notice whether the tablet gets warm at all from all the use or if the battery is a little low on it when this happens?
2017-1-17
Use props
MHM2016
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-17 15:14
Do you happen to notice whether the tablet gets warm at all from all the use or if the battery is a little low on it when this happens?

I always start out with a full battery on the tablet so no worries there.
I'm pretty sure that there's no heat in it either. It's been mostly fairly cold/cool days and I've not noticed any heat at all really.
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

MHM2016 Posted at 2017-1-18 09:28
I always start out with a full battery on the tablet so no worries there.
I'm pretty sure that there's no heat in it either. It's been mostly fairly cold/cool days and I've not noticed any heat at all really.

I just wanted to determine whether the issue with the Android tablet was that it was getting taxed battery or processing while when it's been in constant use after 2-3 I1 battery swaps. How long do you sit between battery swaps before you take off again or is it a quick replace then take off? If you restart the app after between battery swaps or at least the 2nd swap, do you happen to notice if the issue comes back after the 3rd swap?
2017-1-18
Use props
MHM2016
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-18 13:39
I just wanted to determine whether the issue with the Android tablet was that it was getting taxed battery or processing while when it's been in constant use after 2-3 I1 battery swaps. How long do you sit between battery swaps before you take off again or is it a quick replace then take off? If you restart the app after between battery swaps or at least the 2nd swap, do you happen to notice if the issue comes back after the 3rd swap?

I tend to just swap the battery and then take off again straight away.
I don't close down the app either between swaps.
I've never noticed it getting hot or anything though. Maybe I should try to close the app then restart it  between batteries?
I would hope that that wouldn't be necessary but have you heard of similar issues Jamie?
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

MHM2016 Posted at 2017-1-20 10:36
I tend to just swap the battery and then take off again straight away.
I don't close down the app either between swaps.
I've never noticed it getting hot or anything though. Maybe I should try to close the app then restart it  between batteries?

In general, I've seen the Go app get taxed when the device is overheating, it's running out of memory from all the caching or if the battery on the device is running low. It is odd that you're not noticing the device getting warm, is the Go app the only app you use with this device? Have you perhaps tried a different device, like your phone, just to see if it acts the same way? For the sake of troubleshooting, it wouldn't hurt to try a restart after the second battery swap just to see if it acts up when it comes time to the third one.
2017-1-20
Use props
MHM2016
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-20 15:09
In general, I've seen the Go app get taxed when the device is overheating, it's running out of memory from all the caching or if the battery on the device is running low. It is odd that you're not noticing the device getting warm, is the Go app the only app you use with this device? Have you perhaps tried a different device, like your phone, just to see if it acts the same way? For the sake of troubleshooting, it wouldn't hurt to try a restart after the second battery swap just to see if it acts up when it comes time to the third one.

I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you!
I will certainly try a total restart after the first 2 batteries and see what happens.
Also, don't think its related, but if I view my flying area at home in the app to cache the area (prior to going on site) the image quality is very poor compared with Google maps. Is there any way to improve it?
Maybe I should put that as a new thread? What do you think?
2017-1-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

MHM2016 Posted at 2017-1-21 14:20
I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you!
I will certainly try a total restart after the first 2 batteries and see what happens.
Also, don't think its related, but if I view my flying area at home in the app to cache the area (prior to going on site) the image quality is very poor compared with Google maps. Is there any way to improve it?

For the Android version of the DJI Go app, DJI made a switch from Google Maps to Here Maps. There is a difference in the quality, but it should still be a usable resolution. If it's completely unusable, then creating a new thread would be appreciated.
2017-1-23
Use props
MHM2016
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-23 13:25
For the Android version of the DJI Go app, DJI made a switch from Google Maps to Here Maps. There is a difference in the quality, but it should still be a usable resolution. If it's completely unusable, then creating a new thread would be appreciated.

Just to update on this, I've tried closing the Go App then restarting it whilst changing to the third battery. The original issue has not occurred again since doing this so this does seem to be a fix. Still a bit weird though.
Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.
2017-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules