Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Possobile OIS solution for iPhone 7 Plus
7223 14 2017-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans417abfbd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434593 ft
Thailand

Since the x2 rearward facing camera does not have OIS, would it not be possible to produce/supply a "Clip On" converter to make this the same as the wide angle lens?
Some people say they already have weight issues with the iPhone 7 Plus so maybe this would be a non starter?  Just a thought.
2017-1-8
Use props
fans9c9a7d66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12543 ft
United States

what about the magnet option - anyone trying this?
2017-1-9
Use props
Artifex
lvl.1
Belgium

fans9c9a7d66 Posted at 2017-1-9 05:22
what about the magnet option - anyone trying this?

That's also my question !

The easiest solution is that Apple offers an option to disable the OIS, simple as that...
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

It's not a weight issue, iPhone 7P has similar weight with 6sp, so it's not a problem.

Currently the only fix of the OIS is through hardware fix, the magnet option.
2017-1-10
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

Artifex Posted at 2017-1-9 06:22

The easiest solution is that Apple offers an option to disable the OIS, simple as that...

I don't think that Apple can do that. I believe that the OIS is hard wired into the camera modules and not accessible to system software.
2017-1-11
Use props
A1000
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

ComPH Posted at 2017-1-11 10:40
I don't think that Apple can do that. I believe that the OIS is hard wired into the camera modules and not accessible to system software.

I think you're right, as I understand it there are two types of image stabilisation 1) software (cinematic stabilisation) which can be turned off; 2) OIS which is hardware based and built into the camera module in the form of small 'springs'.  #2 can't therefore be disabled other than potentially using a magnet to dampen the 'springs' and hold the camera using still. It has to be said that this does have a potential risk in that it could damage the camera module.
2017-1-11
Use props
fansf491992d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 942231 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Artifex Posted at 2017-1-9 06:22

Pretty sure its not as simple as that. OIS is a mechanical hardware feature built into the camera.
2017-1-12
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

A1000 Posted at 2017-1-11 11:09
I think you're right, as I understand it there are two types of image stabilisation 1) software (cinematic stabilisation) which can be turned off; 2) OIS which is hardware based and built into the camera module in the form of small 'springs'.  #2 can't therefore be disabled other than potentially using a magnet to dampen the 'springs' and hold the camera using still. It has to be said that this does have a potential risk in that it could damage the camera module.

Well, the OIS is actually active as well. There are springs, but there are also voice coil electrical and magnetic mechanisms, that actually form "servo loop" with the sensors and controllers that are hard wired into the camera module that Apple (and almost anyone else) buys from Sony. Sony has this system self contained, and doesn't allow external software to disable it. In stand alone cameras they can disable this servo loop and have the electro-magnets hold the optics still. For whatever reason, this is not possible in the iPhones. In some cases they can also keep the optics still, and move the actual sensor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stabilization
2017-1-22
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

A1000 Posted at 2017-1-11 11:09

As far as external magnets overriding the servo mechanism, I would hope that the module is either magnetically shielded or uses non-magnetic stainless metals, otherwise that would be some mess to guarantee operation in all instances. I really don't think that the OIS in the iPhone can be disabled without gutting the iPhone.

I read about the problem and look at the videos, but there seem to be several issues with the stability. One is bobbing, that is caused by walking, and moving in the vertical direction. That cannot be fixed, unless 'four plus' axes stabilizer is used. Steadicam vest, Movi, etc. have that as part of the system the operators wear, it is heavy and consists of spring loaded parallelogram like mechanism(s). that is something on top of the three axes, and could be added. You'd still need the three axes like Osmo. (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/exp ... ideo-rig-stabilizer)

I also seem frame drops, that are most likely caused by the system either not keeping with the very high bitstream coming out of 4k video, or in case of editing, the discrepancy between frame rates (e.g. Computer 24p vs TV/some editors 23.976p).
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate)

I so far haven't see something that is specific to DJI Osmo Mobile.
2017-1-22
Use props
A1000
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ComPH Posted at 2017-1-22 10:27
Well, the OIS is actually active as well. There are springs, but there are also voice coil electrical and magnetic mechanisms, that actually form "servo loop" with the sensors and controllers that are hard wired into the camera module that Apple (and almost anyone else) buys from Sony. Sony has this system self contained, and doesn't allow external software to disable it. In stand alone cameras they can disable this servo loop and have the electro-magnets hold the optics still. For whatever reason, this is not possible in the iPhones. In some cases they can also keep the optics still, and move the actual sensor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stabilization

You have unpacked my definition and simplification of 'springs' well ;-) and the system that Sony/Apple have created does a pretty good job on my iPhone 6S plus.  There is little advantage for Apple in spending time and effort providing mechanisms to disable it for the few users who have an osmo or the like is my guess.
2017-1-22
Use props
A1000
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ComPH Posted at 2017-1-22 11:01
As far as external magnets overriding the servo mechanism, I would hope that the module is either magnetically shielded or uses non-magnetic stainless metals, otherwise that would be some mess to guarantee operation in all instances. I really don't think that the OIS in the iPhone can be disabled without gutting the iPhone.

I read about the problem and look at the videos, but there seem to be several issues with the stability. One is bobbing, that is caused by walking, and moving in the vertical direction. That cannot be fixed, unless 'four plus' axes stabilizer is used. Steadicam vest, Movi, etc. have that as part of the system the operators wear, it is heavy and consists of spring loaded parallelogram like mechanism(s). that is something on top of the three axes, and could be added. You'd still need the three axes like Osmo. (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/buying-guide/video-rig-stabilizer)

I agree with you on the 'bobbing' at this price point it is a '3 axis gimbal', the 4th axis is in your legs, body and arms ;-)

Having played with the gimbal and looked at the great output others' have created I don't believe the issues are necessarily with the physical hardware.  It feels good in the hand and ergonomically works for me. There may be tweaks to the firmware that could enhance it, but the real challenge is two-fold: firstly, in the DJI Go app (and the integration with other apps); and secondly, us as users getting used to what it can achieve and can't achieve and adapting our styles and usage profiles.

It is a 1st gen product and therefore probably not a true open the box and operate product in a mass consumer context yet and requires some additional skills to be provided by the user. The good thing is that so far the physical hardware seems sound and the firmware/apps/users can be tweaked, adjusted and evolved over time - hopefully ;-)
2017-1-22
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

Above is image of the two lenses in the iPhone 7 Plus. The top picture shows the coils (L) and magnets(R) at the corners of the OIS assembly of the wider angle lens. The lens below, the longer focal lens, doesn't have the OIS arrangement.

Above is little more detailed photo of the iPhone 7 Plus wide angle lens clearly showing the OIS coils (L) and magnets (R), comprising the active portion of the image stabilization "motors".
2017-1-25
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

iPhone7 Camera Assembled.jpg

There is a shield over the OIS motors (right camera). I doubt that external magnet would disable just the OIS motors, but not something else, like the focusing motors, if it would work at all.
2017-1-25
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

ComPH Posted at 2017-1-25 10:30
[view_image]

There is a shield over the OIS motors (right camera). I doubt that external magnet would disable just the OIS motors, but not something else, like the focusing motors, if it would work at all.

The system failed me - didn't show both photos, and wouldn't let me edit the post. Above I obviously meant the (LEFT camera). Sorry.
2017-1-25
Use props
djiuser_ADcRmjW
New

United States

Hey guys here is a test with the magnet fix. We have been using it for a while, it works pretty well...

[/url]

2017-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules