Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video to external monitor
6203 18 2014-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jackson
lvl.1
United States

Just purchased the pv2+ for work. Construction oversight and progress video capture. I am a construction guy and not a tech guy so I am not sure how to even present my question accurately. I would like to know if I can transmit real time video to my conference room projector/big screen while piloting the phantom still using my smart phone for camera/video control.

I am extremely great full for your thoughts and please dumb down your reply so I can follow. Thank you!!

2014-10-6
Use props
T J Gilbert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

I'll say "I don't know..."
But a search yielded this...
http://www.iphone-tips-and-advice.com/iphone-video-out.html
You might want to start asking some iPhone or Android experts your question...
If your smart phone is Android based, it's probably easier than with iPhone.
2014-10-6
Use props
FromAdronesEye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

I have read something about livestreaming but using a Phantom 2, with lightbridge and a lot of stuff, i dont know if the P2V+ you can do the same. check this posts

http://skypixel.org
2014-10-7
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am an Apple guy, iPhone and MacBook Pro user. And I think I have a "theoretical" solution. Haven't tried it personally, but in my head it works! haha

So, on location you are flying a P2V+ using an iPhone for example. The iPhone  would be connected to a MacBook via a mirroring program like AirSquirrel Reflector. This will put your iPhone screen on your MacBook display. Now, provided you have internet access on your macbook (which I am still trying to work out in my head how) you would then run TeamViewer or any remote sharing app that lets you connect your MacBook out in the field to another MacBook in the conference room, also running TeamViewer. Now you see your iPhone display in the conference room. And while we are at it, take a Lightning-to-HDMI cable from your MacBook in the conference room to your plasma, projector, or whatever, and now your iPhone screen is on the display of your choice in the conference room.

Now, with all that being said, you'd have to work out the internet connection aspect out in the field. Since your iPhone and MacBook pro will need to be on the Phantom Wifi Network (in order to get Reflector to work) you would have to provide internet some other way. Bluetooth tethering would work, I assume. or even tethering with a cable to another cel phone, or hot spot.

And this solution also does not take in to account rate of transmission, throughput, and network interference, or anything else that would prevent a live stream. And that may just prevent the whole dang thing from working! I don't know, never tried it.

The other possible option is to tether the iPhone directly to the MacBook in the field with a cable, so the MacBook could remain on an internet wifi, like a hot spot, instead of the phantom wifi, which you would need to get AirSquirrel Reflector to work. In this scenario you would not need Reflector, just TeamViewer. But I don't know of an iPhone cable that connects to a MacBook and mirrors the screen. There may be such a thing, but I've never needed one.

It is also time to point out that this would all run much better (better picture) if you were using an iPad Mini or iPad in the field instead of an iPhone.

So, there you have it. Works in theory. Would LOVE to know if it works in an actual real world situation. Let us know if you find a working solution!!! Now my head hurts. I am gonna go fly!
2014-10-7
Use props
FromAdronesEye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-10-8 01:08
I am an Apple guy, iPhone and MacBook Pro user. And I think I have a "theoretical" solution. Haven't ...

Wow! thats a good explanation! but there should be another way
2014-10-7
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

And I was able to confirm that a jetpack or personal hot spot that offers USB tethering to the MacBook would definitely get you the internet access you need to then connect via Team Viewer to the Conference Room Computer.

If there is another way, I'd love to hear it!  
2014-10-7
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

So, I got so curious I decided to run a proof of concept test. Here are the deets:

http://youtu.be/gkOBb_5CdGg    <-------- CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

- P2V+ and Transmitter with iPad Mini.
- iPad Mini is being Mirrored on MacBook Pro using Airsquirrel Reflector. MacBook Pro is on Phantom Wifi, along with iPad Mini.
- MacBook Pro is tethered to iPhone 5s using Lightning to USB Cable, and iPhone is sharing it's Cellular Internet Connection. During this video I only had a 3G connection. I imagine LTE would be faster with less delay.
- MacBook Pro is hosting a TeamViewer Meeting over the iPhone 5s Cellular.
- iMac is connected to internet via my office cable internet connection (90Mbps) and is connected via TeamViewer to the MacBook Pro Meeting.
- The iMac is then connected to an external monitor via the Thunderbolt-to-HDMI connection. This external monitor could easily be swapped with whatever display you choose. Not just HDMI displays either.

It is important to note that this solution offers a viewing connection WORLDWIDE. No matter where you are, with an internet connection, you can connect to TeamViewer and join the meeting, and see the stream from the phantom. This is beyond cool. But, we have a speed of data issue for sure. The lag is mostly determined by your USB tether to the MacBook.
Also keep in mind that I have NO IDEA what all of this does to the Phantom performance. I cant imagine it would effect transmitter control or flight characteristics. It may, somehow, effect the iPad Mini connection and FPV link from the phantom to the iPad. Not sure.

Proof of Concept.  
2014-10-7
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-10-8 03:18
So, I got so curious I decided to run a proof of concept test. Here are the deets:

Proof of Concept ...

Further Info:

AirSquirrel Reflector ($12.99) : http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/
TeamViewer (FREE for private use) : http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

I'd be happy to share any other info you need.

One thing I got caught up on was getting the MacBook Pro to accept the iPhone tethered connection as it's internet connection when connected to the Phantom WiFi network. It was recognizing the WiFi from the Phantom as a priority and not allowing the USB network connection to give access. On the MacBook in System Settings/Network you have to rearrange the list order, putting the iPhone USB connection ABOVE the WiFi connection, then click apply. Now whenever the MacBook is connected to both a Wifi network and a USB network, it will give the USB network priority for internet connection but still allow the laptop to connect to the Phantom network for the Reflector app.

Geez, hope that makes sense! haha
2014-10-7
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Tony  a little of track but what do people use to record what the smartphone is seeing  when using fpv if you get what i am on about .
In other words i fire up my phantom app send the quad up and hit  record on the app( and loose sat lock )   how can i get the phone to record what i am seeing on the phone screen  or may be this cant be done .
2014-10-7
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-10-8 04:07
Tony  a little of track but what do people use to record what the smartphone is seeing  when using f ...

Using a very similar method! You could use the Air Squirrel Reflector to mirror your iPhone/iPad screen on the MacBook. Then use a screen capture tool like iShowU-HD (http://www.shinywhitebox.com/ishowu-hd-pro) to record the MacBook display into an MP4 file.

Another software option would be X-Mirage (http://x-mirage.com/x-mirage/).
I believe this mirrors and records at the same time. I've never used it, but have heard others using it for different situations.

Hope this helps!
2014-10-7
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Cheers but   say i was no where near my pc so cant mirror.I was kinda thinking along the lines of an app that would record whatever was on my phone screen .
2014-10-7
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-10-8 05:39
Cheers but   say i was no where near my pc so cant mirror.I was kinda thinking along the lines of an ...

As far as I have seen, there is no such app for iOS. Unless you jailbreak it. I think Cydia offers screen record apps, maybe. Not sure. I do not and will not condone jailbreaking your iDevice. haha
2014-10-7
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-10-8 05:39
Cheers but   say i was no where near my pc so cant mirror.I was kinda thinking along the lines of an ...

Confirmed, there are screen record apps for a jailbroken iOS7 device. iOS, well that's another story. But I don't think I would trust a jailbroken device with my equipment. That's just me though.
2014-10-7
Use props
Jackson
lvl.1
United States

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-10-8 01:08
I am an Apple guy, iPhone and MacBook Pro user. And I think I have a "theoretical" solution. Haven't ...

Tony,

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your mind! You have increased my understanding immensely.

I will keep you posted
2014-10-8
Use props
Jackson
lvl.1
United States

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-10-8 03:18

Proof of Concept ...

You rock Tony. you have provided the guidebook for my IT people to make this happen. Greatly appreciated!
2014-10-8
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jackson@srmdeve Posted at 2014-10-9 03:42
You rock Tony. you have provided the guidebook for my IT people to make this happen. Greatly appre ...

This is what we are for! If we all share the little knowledge we each have we will all learn so much more. Glad I could help.Keep us posted on your final setup and how well it works. And feel free to reach out if you or they have any questions at all!
2014-10-8
Use props
Jackson
lvl.1
United States

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-10-9 04:10
This is what we are for! If we all share the little knowledge we each have we will all learn so muc ...

Tony,

I am an Android user however after I read your posts this morning I have decided to purchase some Apple hardware to devote solely to the Phantom. I have just purchased a Tarot mount assembly for the iPad Mini and tonight i will be purchasing the mini. I already possess a 4G Verizon Jetpack to provide internet access to the mini but it seems this may cause some conflict with the connection of the mini to the wifi extender on the phantom.....???? The Phantom hasn't even arrived at my house yet so I am trying to get as educated as possible before it does. As a result however, I cannot test any of my questions out on the device..

Thoughts?? Comments??
2014-10-8
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jackson@srmdeve Posted at 2014-10-9 05:13
Tony,

I am an Android user however after I read your posts this morning I have decided to purchas ...

Your suspicions are correct! You will not be able to provide a WiFi connection from the JetPack to the Mini, while the Mini is connected to the Phantom network, which it needs to be in order for the Vision app to work. May I ask why you want your mini to have an internet connection? As long as you load the Ground Station maps prior to switching over to the Phantom network there should not be a need to give the mini an internet connection while in flight.

If you are wanting to mirror the Mini to a laptop you would connect the laptop to the Phantom network also. This is the area that makes me wonder if both devices connected to the Phantom network may in some way cause bandwidth issues. But I have seen, and spoken to, many people who record their iPad screens during flight to make the YouTube instructional videos and they report no issues with bandwidth or Vision App connection.

Now, regarding your Verizon Jetpack, I also have one. I have the Verizon ZTE 890L. It is a blazing fast 4G/LTE personal hotspot but.... it does not offer a USB Tethered option. It only gives devices an internet connection via WiFi, not by tethering using the Micro-USB to USB cable. This means you can not use it for the method I describe above, which is why for my proof of concept video I had to use my iPhone 5s, which does offer Lightning-to-USB Internet tethering. I am not sure if you have the same 890L verizon hotspot, but in any case, check if your hotspot has USB Tethering capabilities if you attempt the method described above.

Hope this helps, and is not all that confusing. And, by the way, I am sure you can make all of this happen with your Android device and a Windows laptop, for example. I am just not as familiar with it so I don't know where to direct you. I do think that AirSquirrel Reflector will mirror an Android device to a MacBook, and I think it will to a Windows PC, not sure. But I have to say (and not as an Apple FanGuy!) that I think the mirroring and external display may be easier with all apple equipment, as opposed to some Apple and some Windows and some Android.  
2014-10-8
Use props
scott_barton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 877110 ft
United States

Maybe submit a request to Ustream to have them add the ability to stream your phone's screen instead of the camera to Ustream.tv from the Ustream app.  

http://www.ustream.tv/support-ticket

-Scott
2014-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules