Home Point without GPS
2043 8 2014-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LightsUpLoud
lvl.1

United States

Hello, I'm a fairly new P2v+ owner, about 20-30 flights and I've been flying my "trainer" Blade qx 180 quadcopter for a couple of months previous. I fly a lot in forests so generally I'm not hooked up with GPS until I get about the canopy.  Will that be considered my home point when I link up to GPS or is it when the blades are engaged?  I lost signal briefly the other day and after I got it back, it really made me wonder, is that a great way to lose it?  Thanks.
2014-10-5
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is my understanding that a home point is not recorded until you have 6+ satellites and the LEDs flash quick green. So, to answer your question, if you take off without 6+ satellites (very dangerous and could lead to a ton of problems), you will not have a home lock. Then, as you describe, you get above the canopy and all of the sudden you get 6+ satellites, the LEDs will blink quick green and you will now have a set home point. This is bad, really bad. If after that point for some reason you lose the link from your transmitter, the unit will go into Return to Home mode and start heading back to that point, above the canopy. Then, if you do not regain control or can not recover connection, it will start to slowly descend.... right into the trees. Bye bye birdie, unless you have a ladder or are a great tree climber.

You can, of course, turn off RTH in the assistant software. Probably not a good idea, but it may be the less of two evils in your situation. You would also have to turn off RTH on Low Battery as well. This is really a terrible idea, in my opinion. You want RTH. At least I do. I wouldn't fly without it. That's just me.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to other's input on this. Curious what everyone's thoughts are.

And I would love to see some of that Forest footage. Sounds amazing!
2014-10-5
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

When you fly with no GPS signal, you are exposing your P2V+ to being potentially lost.

1. If you never get a GPS signal (stay under the tree canopy), and Tx/Rx communication stops, the P2V+ will most likely hover and/or land at that location because it knows no HP and can't find it.  I say most likely because almost no one has truely tested this risky practice. It will be similar to flying without a GPS puck. This scenario could easily result in something construed as a fly-away...

2. If Home Point is not recorded at take off due to no GPS signal, it will be recorded wherever the P2V+ is when it does get > or = 6 sats.
If that occurs only after you rise above your tree canopy, then Home Point is at that elevated, away from take off point location.

3. If,  after the elevated HP is recorded, you fly back below the tree canopy and lose GPS, #1 will still apply if Tx/Rx communication stops because it can't find the HP.

4. If you are above the tree canopy with a GPS signal,  HP is  as #2, and Tx/Rx communication stops, the P2V+ will go to the elevated, away from takeoff HP, hover and land. It will not stop at the elevated point, it will descend until downward motion stops.

I hope this is clear, because I had a little trouble describing all the options...
2014-10-5
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

If you, LightsUpLoud, choose to assume the risks of flying without GPS under the tree canopy.
Here's what I'd do...
Accept the challenge fearlessly!
Minimize your risks with a flight plan:
- Stay well within visual range with the airframe. (If you're flying FPV, you might want to forget this entire post! )
- Stay in Atti FM and don't even assume you'll get a GPS lock or any of the dependent features.
- For Failsafe, select "Landing" in the Assistant instead of Go Home/Landing.
- Try to get a compass heading recorded at initialization to be able to use CL for moments of confusion/disorientation (it's not dependent on GPS).
- Turn off Low Battery RTH, and don't push your battery time.
- If you have to initialize Failsafe with a switch (or turning off Tx) try to select an area where a safe landing will be possible.
- Remember that 5.8 Ghz is a relatively weak RC signal that can't penetrate trees, and don't let the airframe be blocked from view by trees for very long periods.

Good luck, and post some videos!

2014-10-5
Use props
LightsUpLoud
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the input.  I'm guessing that I should switch to Naza mode as well to utilize IOC as a way to help out too if the wifi signal is lost.   I'm assuming that the wifi signal is separate from the RC signal. I've been really safe about keeping the airframe in direct line sight but I've been getting some great footage of the Columbia Gorge waterfalls so I'll post some stuff soon. Thanks for the help!
2014-10-7
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

Yes, if you've been logging in some flights, you're ready for NazaM mode.
Be sure you understand the FM switch settings.
You probably need to stay away from Manual FM.
Practice the IOC options (mainly CL) in an open area first to avoid a tree collision...
Good Luck!
2014-10-7
Use props
josephbobowicz
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Here is a pretty good video regarding NAZA mode: http://youtu.be/Prs7txS_NDA
2014-10-8
Use props
motnahp
lvl.1

Australia

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-6 02:22
When you fly with no GPS signal, you are exposing your P2V+ to being potentially lost.

1. If you ne ...

See post i have a good idea to stop fly offs This is exactly what i do fly up no back no forwrd no right no left up very high to get home point below then sometme land other time just go Tis give me homepoint
2015-1-28
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.2

United States

josephbobowicz@ Posted at 2014-10-8 21:15
Here is a pretty good video regarding NAZA mode: http://youtu.be/Prs7txS_NDA

That really WAS a good tutorial on NAZA mode.  
2015-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules