1259 8 2015-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FoxSTI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11286 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I was flying today i noticed that after going forward if I wanted to stop I would pull the stick backwards some, the insp2 would make a backward motion as if it wanted to roll backwards. If I were to describe it it looked as if it was standing up.

Is there any danger that is will in fact stand up and fall from the sky and crash, like maybe go into a vortex ring ( I just learned about that).
What is the best way to stop the craft into a hover

Also regarding vortex ring, is a craft like the inspire supsetible to that ? I guess I have been lucky with my other UAV that, that has not happened as I usually just plunged the elevator stick down to descend.
2015-2-15
Use props
info.rossfeighe
lvl.1

United States

Please watch some videos and tutorials before flying again. Read the manual too. Even video tutorials on flying the phantom 2 should apply. In GPS mode to stop all you need to do is let go of the controls and it will hover in place. The inspire 1 already has an aggressive braking system in this regard, pushing the controls backwards like you're doing is essentially like driving a car forward at full speed and then slamming it into reverse. Ease off the throttle to slow down, let go to stop. You only have to push the throttle backwards to slow down if you're in ATTI mode.

There is a danger from what you're doing, propellers have been known to fall off and the craft could crash because of it from these aggressive motions.
2015-2-15
Use props
Roastie
lvl.2

France

I don't think that's going to make the propellers fall off!

Anyway, research and practice with a much cheaper quad.  You can buy a farily large quadcopter with just a 6 axis gyro for help and its own controller, then go practice for much less than 100 USD.  You can learn to fly like this.  

Also, watch:

Cheers

Roastie
2015-2-16
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the replies.  I read the manual and I don't recall anything about this.  I do have a cheaper craft I use regularly to practice flying.  Although it has gps, I have to counter some to stop it.
2015-2-16
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Guys so I watched the video above and others. I realized that it even "real" helicopters are susceptible to a vortex ring condition the inspire should be no exception. So what exactly causes this?  Is it the act of coming straight down in a vertical line at speed? Or the change of up and down motion rapidly?
2015-2-16
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

Have you got it in beginners mode and reached the edge of its flight area. You'll find that the Inspire nearly rocks backwards when it reaches its permissible area! It seems that may be the case.
2015-2-16
Use props
Roastie
lvl.2

France

Fox,

You are at risk of entering VRS if you descend into your own column of descending air.  If there is no wind, then this is directly beneath you.  The rotors are pushing air down.  If you descend too quickly, you may get yourself into that column of descending air and thus descend quicker with it.

Note that if there is any wind at all, this will move the column of descending air.  This means that it could be diagonally to the side, or behind or wherever.  You don't know which direction the wind is going at altitudes different to where you are standing.  So this means you must always be prepared for all eventualities.

Good practice would be never to descent vertically in very low wind.  If there is wind, then descending vertically shouldn't cause an issue because the column of descending air is not vertically below you.

Slowly straight down for filming, yes, or quickly straight down in wind.  If I have to descend from high altitudes quickly, ie. with a full down throttle, I tend to come down in a wide spiralling trajectory just to get closer to the ground, then slow down and land or whatever.

Careful though, because you need to react when you see something out of the ordinary.  Typical things to watch out for are drifting because you have lost GPS for whatever reason and the Inspire has gone into ATTI mode, or if you come straight down and you notice that it is wobbling around a lot, then there is a risk of VRS, so pitch (in a different direction if already pitching) rather than try and apply lots of throttle.  

Just fly lots - and rather than going berserk really early on, just gradually go further and faster.

Beware of getting too confident quickly.  Once you feel comfortable, remind yourself that actually, you shouldn't be   Come back and read some threads about fly away, or crashes into trees / garages etc.  That'll soon sober you up again

Anyway, fly safe and have fun!

Night

Roastie
2015-2-16
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you, your last few sentences are really aligned with my plan. I am really taking it easy and really flying low. (30ft at most from what I remember today).  I wonder if there is a way to limit the inspires angle (when moving) or its speed. This way I can slowly gain more confidence etc.
2015-2-16
Use props
Roastie
lvl.2

France

There isn't.  This is not a quadcopters for beginners, normally.  But you can put it into "beginner mode" and it will not let you fly in ATTI, or more than 50m away.  

I got bored of that quite quickly, so I put in the max altitude of 150m (legal maximum here in France) and 200m max distance.  That way I never go to far away.

Just now getting ready to move to 500m max distance.  I think that it will be difficult for me to see any further, and it's line of site only here in France.  

Just fly sensibly, away from people, their homes, cars, main roads, large bodies of water etc.
2015-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules