Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
extension cable
1420 15 2017-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Presto
lvl.3
Canada

Does anyone know if the 6 foot extension cable can be joined together to form a 12 or even 18 foot cable? I think physically they can I am just wondering if the eletronics would still work over those distances?
2017-1-11
Use props
A1000
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

It will depend on what kind of cable and connector type.  USB 2 probably not, USB 3 possibly. Not sure about others.  What kind of cable, connector, and use are you considering?
2017-1-11
Use props
Presto
lvl.3
Canada

A1000 Posted at 2017-1-11 09:23
It will depend on what kind of cable and connector type.  USB 2 probably not, USB 3 possibly. Not sure about others.  What kind of cable, connector, and use are you considering?

It the cable that DJI already has that allow the camera to be separated from the handle. No USB its the same connectors that mate the camera to the handle
2017-1-11
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I asked the same question some time ago and no one from DJI could answer it. Wouldn't take much for a member of staff to test it for us.

Maybe it's just my strange brain, but that is the first thing I would have tried if I worked at DJI, keep adding them until it stopped.

Lets hope we get a reply this time
2017-1-11
Use props
Presto
lvl.3
Canada

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-1-11 12:43
I asked the same question some time ago and no one from DJI could answer it. Wouldn't take much for a member of staff to test it for us.

Maybe it's just my strange brain, but that is the first thing I would have tried if I worked at DJI, keep adding them until it stopped.

Agree with you. My only thought is it may be limited to 6 feet for a reason? Other wise I think they would offer them in various lengths. I hope some one from DJI reads this and can respond!!
2017-1-11
Use props
Presto
lvl.3
Canada

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-1-11 12:43

I think I am going to buy one cable and splice in an additional 6 feet of cable and see what happens
2017-1-11
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Presto Posted at 2017-1-11 13:07
I think I am going to buy one cable and splice in an additional 6 feet of cable and see what happens

That would be much cheaper, let us know how you get on
2017-1-11
Use props
Presto
lvl.3
Canada

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-1-11 14:34
That would be much cheaper, let us know how you get on

I will as a matter of fact I m going to start at 24 feet and see if it works if not trim a few feet and try again etc. I will post here with my results we want to use it on the end of a jib arm but find panning and tilting with the screen difficult when also doing complex jib moves.
2017-1-11
Use props
GrizzlyAdams
lvl.1
United States

Its only 5ft. (60 in.). If your thinking of connecting several, rather than splicing, Kaemar makes them in 80 in. You would gain 20in. per extender. I have contemplated going that route myself.
2017-1-11
Use props
Vinc26
lvl.4
France

I'm also interrested about the test! Keep us informed
2017-1-12
Use props
Presto
lvl.3
Canada

Vinc26 Posted at 2017-1-12 02:44
I'm also interrested about the test! Keep us informed

Bought the cable today will splice next week and let you know. We want 24 feet may have a voltage loss but may go to larger external battery to compensate. Will do tests to see if that is needed though.
2017-1-12
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

I've been contemplating splicing in a 25' extension as well.  Would love to know how it works out!
2017-1-23
Use props
Presto
lvl.3
Canada

dr.nick Posted at 2017-1-23 15:27
I've been contemplating splicing in a 25' extension as well.  Would love to know how it works out!

So we built a 20 foot cable and it works perfectly. We are now trying a larger power source for  hours of battery life when using this cable. We are not sure what the max input voltage wise the Osmo plus will take ? I know the Inspire batteries that some are using are 15.3 volts. Our large format cameras we use Anton Bauers which are closer to 16.3 so hoping it will handle that much?
2017-2-5
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

Presto Posted at 2017-2-5 21:51
So we built a 20 foot cable and it works perfectly. We are now trying a larger power source for  hours of battery life when using this cable. We are not sure what the max input voltage wise the Osmo plus will take ? I know the Inspire batteries that some are using are 15.3 volts. Our large format cameras we use Anton Bauers which are closer to 16.3 so hoping it will handle that much?

Awesome Presto.  What type of cable did you use?  I assume you cannibalized the DJI extender, not the Kaemar?
2017-2-6
Use props
Presto
lvl.3
Canada

dr.nick Posted at 2017-2-6 20:45
Awesome Presto.  What type of cable did you use?  I assume you cannibalized the DJI extender, not the Kaemar?

Yes it was a DJI cable and we used an HDMI cable, There are 10 very small wires inside the DJI cable and 11 inside the HDMI . Very tenuous sauder job though. Also 25 may be too long due to voltage drop but you could try it. We  discovered that the battery extender has a voltage regulator in it that drops the source voltage down to just over 11 volts which in longer cable lengths could pose problems.
2017-2-7
Use props
High Powder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 99006 ft
United States

Presto Posted at 2017-2-5 21:51

I know this post is 1.5 years old, but I didn't want someone to see it and make the same mistake that I did.  It is evident from later posts that Presto's cable described above did not work perfectly.  So far I have not found any evidence that anyone has been able to splice an extension cable to gain further length.  I ruined one cable and was about to tear into another before I checked out Presto's later posts showing that the splice did not work.  No offense to Presto - the attempt provided valuable information.  However it looks like the best that one can hope for is to connect two of the DJI cable together (not the Kamerer one) for a 10 foot extension.
2018-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules