Mavic for Photos
13463 24 2017-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wojdop
lvl.3
Flight distance : 564469 ft
Spain

Hi All! I was following this forum many months as I was waiting for my Mavic endlessly. Finally it arrived so I can share with you some experiences.

Many of you was writing about the problems and even crashes what was worrying me quite a lot. Luckily my bird works perfect straight out from the box, just updated. No calibration at all needed. And it flies amazing. It's my first drone but I had no problems at all with flying.

I bought it mainly for the photography and here are my first thoughts:

For such a small sensor it does it job very well. Has enough dynamic range for most of the landscapes, but be worry that If you push the shadows up the grain comes out very quickly, killing the details in the dark parts.

Highlights have gentle borders, no strange glooms and halos. But watch out the histogram, there is no place for the mistake. With such small sensor highlights burns out quickly (but I have to say that It performs better than I expected).

I've tested only ISO 100 so far and the files are flexible enough to post process RAW files in Lightroom quite a lot. Automatic WB tends to give a bit green and cold images, but there are no problems with adjusting that and final results are good. I like the colours which it gives, especially green looks natural and it doesn't turns yellow as it tends to do in my Olympus camera.

Editing be worry that the colour noise shows up almost immediately during the post production, but luckily it's easy to correct without harm to the quality

The lens is fine, sharp across the whole image with CA corrected very well. It catches flares very easily (even if the sun is quite a bit outside from the frame).

That's all what I can say by now, I have it only 3 days so there is still a lot to discover an a lot of photos to take.

What are yours experiences with the Mavic as a Photo drone? Share your images!

Moya.jpg
Confi.jpg
Cumbre.jpg
2017-1-12
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Wow - really nice!  Hoping to take some more photos this weekend.  You've inspired me!
2017-1-12
Use props
Cage
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21191 ft
United States

Really cool, have to go to great locations, to make that iconic photo.
2017-1-12
Use props
H8Monday
New
Flight distance : 170554 ft
United States

I'm a photographer, so I've ordered my Mavic as another camera in my collection. I'm very interested in finding out its capabilities as a still camera. I've seen the very impressive videos that it produces, and I'm looking forward to the new possibilities of having a flying camera.
2017-1-12
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
2017-1-12
Use props
edwarde21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65535 ft
United States

I haven't really shot stills on in and I'm a photographer lol but video looks amazing but my video editing skills suck but your shots look amazing I need to take some
2017-1-13
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for the thoughts on the camera.  Nice photos
2017-1-13
Use props
Maverick1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 269245 ft
United States

[img][/img]
2017-1-13
Use props
Margleman
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Great pics - keen to hear how you get on with other settings.
2017-1-13
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

Very nice. Can you share which setting where you on please?
2017-1-13
Use props
wojdop
lvl.3
Spain

Thanks for the feedback. Post your photos as well!

In general I made basic corrections in Lightroom. If you want later I can post settings which I used for the photos from previous post.

Just remember to filter out the colour noise which usually pops out after the post production. Lightroom tool handles it well, but I recommend NIK Collection plug-in from google. Really powerful and free.

And shoot in RAW of course.

New stuff:

Sorrueda

Sorrueda
2017-1-14
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Nice pics.     Can see on the palm trees they are probably taken somewhere in south-UK.

Regards Leif.
2017-1-14
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

wojdop Posted at 2017-1-14 16:05
Thanks for the feedback. Post your photos as well!

In general I made basic corrections in Lightroom. If you want later I can post settings which I used for the photos from previous post.

The quality are just mind blowing. It's hard to believe it's the same camera.
Yes please I would love you to share the settings for this pics. Mine are not close to be this sharp.
2017-1-14
Use props
FlyLight
lvl.2

Australia

Pro photographer here using Mavic to supplement shots for magazine articles. Absolutely loving it!
Shot on RAW at 100 ISO, processed in Lightroom.

Have printed this image at 100% for 300ppi (330mm wide) and it's sensational. Will easily do a double-page spread!

2017-1-15
Use props
Moleman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119419 ft
United Kingdom

Apparently the portrait mode is to enable super panos, but I've not seen anyone post these yet
2017-1-15
Use props
wojdop
lvl.3
Spain

Moleman Posted at 2017-1-15 02:10
Apparently the portrait mode is to enable super panos, but I've not seen anyone post these yet

Third photo from my first post is done like that. It does great job if you need more resolution.

Good one FlyLigh! Actually I was wondering how the prints will look like.
2017-1-15
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Recent video from Michael Kincaid using the Mavic and (free) Lichi app.
2017-1-15
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.2
United States

Great photos! Just got my Mavic Friday evening and got it in the air yesterday, mostly focus on learning to fly it. Was hoping to get out today to mess with the camera, but the weather here in Colorado is iffy today, bummed. I am also a photographer. Quite impressed with the camera controls as well as the quality of photos and video that folks are posting. Thanks for sharing the info. Curious to know the settings you are using!
Cheers,
'Dawg
2017-1-15
Use props
enc3phalon
lvl.2
United Kingdom

cumbre.jpg is absolutely stunning. I absolutely love the clouds.
2017-1-15
Use props
Stewie Griffin
lvl.2
Canada

This is exactly why I bought the Mavic.  When you stich 3 portait shots, you're actually going to get more resolution than you can from 1 shot on the P4P.  The fact that the Mavic is 28mm almost makes up for the lower resolution than 24mm of the P4P at 20 mp.

Stitching pictures that are shot in portrait orientation is much different than stitching pics in landscape.  if only the P4P could do portrait, with the better sensor it might be the better option for photography.

What we really need is an option for something like a 40mm or 50mm lens.  This is better for stitching and getting higher resolution shots.
2017-1-15
Use props
akskop
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1551401 ft
Norway

Great photos! Great to some photos and not just videos
2017-1-15
Use props
wojdop
lvl.3
Spain

I had a busy week. You asked mi for Lightroom settings, tomorrow I'll post some screen shots with LR sliders so you can get an idea.
And another picture for today:

DJI_0278-2.jpg
2017-1-26
Use props
NSRacin_Oahu
lvl.1

United States

interested.
2017-1-26
Use props
Miguel_R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1662411 ft
United States

Those are some pretty nice shots. I haven't use the camera much but here are some of the pics i've taken so far.
DJI_0037.jpg DJI_0042.jpg DJI_0032.jpg DJI_0048.jpg DJI_0049.jpg
2017-1-26
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

the pictures you can get with this unit, are  like  unreal,,,  the advances that are being made, will amaze us all in another few  years,  or even months,  thanks for the share
2017-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules