External Mic and Audio/Video Sync
2033 9 2017-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
normhamilton
New

Canada

I'm considering the purchase of an Osmo+ but when I do the research I'm  seeing a number of users have had issues with the audio track.

I understand the built-in mic and the one that ships with the unit are  not great but that I can add an external mic. More important is that  there seems to be a concern that the audio track gets out of sync from  the video.
Have any of you have had that issue?

Norm

2017-1-14
Use props
fansbf53766c
lvl.2
United Kingdom

In a word, no.
Any sync drift between pics and audio is unlikely to become an issue (at least for me) as the battery life is so poor, that recordings can never be very long (indeed its really not intended for event shooting, so youre unlikely to have long clips that "could" show any drift. One the recordings Ive made, where Ive used a proper mic plugged into the jack (awful) or a sennheiser G3 radio mic plugged into the jack, Ive not had this issue, but I dont think ill have recorded anything over 10 mins in length.
Id add then OSMO clearly dont feel that audio is important to their users (hence the very poor starting point of the internal mic and very basic menu controls) if you really want to be able to record,a nd rely on any quality audio, Osmo is not the right platform for you to be doing it overall.
Peter
2017-1-16
Use props
Judic
lvl.4
Norway

The noisy sound is a general problem for such a devices, I looked at several competitive products and all have this problem. So I bought several different cheap external microphones and tested them. And what I've found is the best sound recording quality I have from my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S4 mini) used for controlling the Osmo. All that cheap microphones are not so good. May be some expensive ones will be better but for now I decided to use just my smartphone for this.
2017-1-16
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

You need to get an external microphone if you want to do serious audio for your videos. You can use wireless microphones so you don't need to deal with a cable.
2017-1-16
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

fivetonine Posted at 2017-1-16 03:55
You need to get an external microphone if you want to do serious audio for your videos. You can use wireless microphones so you don't need to deal with a cable.

Any suggestions on a good wireless mic?
2017-1-16
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-1-16 09:32
Any suggestions on a good wireless mic?

You can go wireless with a Sony ECM-AW3 bluetooth mic, but I personally prefer a wired solution from Rode, the VideoMicro http://amzn.to/2jDh51J
2017-1-16
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

fivetonine Posted at 2017-1-16 15:01
You can go wireless with a Sony ECM-AW3 bluetooth mic, but I personally prefer a wired solution from Rode, the VideoMicro http://amzn.to/2jDh51J

I have the VideoMicro, But i recently upgraded to an iphone 7+ and was thinking of getting the mobile gimble not sure yet.
2017-1-16
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-1-16 15:55
I have the VideoMicro, But i recently upgraded to an iphone 7+ and was thinking of getting the mobile gimble not sure yet.

Same here, but I haven't bought the mobile gimbal yet. Honestly, I see no reason for it. First, it is just as bulky as the standard Osmo, so I rather keep it. Second, with all the stabilization functions of iPhone 7, you sometimes don't really need a gimbal for standard shoots. For the exciting time-lapse feature, I worry that I cannot turn off iPhone's own optical stabilization. And third, I am not sure I would risk my expensive iPhone for any action shoot. And again, a lot of the "normal" stuff can be done with iPhone's own stabilization.
2017-1-17
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

fivetonine Posted at 2017-1-17 01:09
Same here, but I haven't bought the mobile gimbal yet. Honestly, I see no reason for it. First, it is just as bulky as the standard Osmo, so I rather keep it. Second, with all the stabilization functions of iPhone 7, you sometimes don't really need a gimbal for standard shoots. For the exciting time-lapse feature, I worry that I cannot turn off iPhone's own optical stabilization. And third, I am not sure I would risk my expensive iPhone for any action shoot. And again, a lot of the "normal" stuff can be done with iPhone's own stabilization.

True, these are also reasons I have not made the purchase. Also I believe you will see wind resistance if you may be running/any action shots or if there are high winds  the phones flat surface may mess with the gimbal.
2017-1-17
Use props
Raphael_Marmi
New

France

Hi everyone,

No problem of sync audio/video with a external mic. I use directly a Sennheiser EW 122P a wireless transmitters with a mic.

BUT

I don't understand why when i go on Facebook Live, the external mic cut off !! And i don't understand why ?? If someone can help me

My firmware is the latest 01 08 02 40

Thanks !
2017-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules