DJI Advisors EXPLAIN! programmed battery depletion when not used !
2233 14 2017-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

DJI Ken, Mindy or whoever from DJI !

PLEASE CLEAR UP THIS ISSUE !

When setting up the Mavic PRO in DJI GO (android), in settings/battery it is stated that battery will undergo a "routine depletion cycle" of 10 days when not in use.

I just had time for some short flights in the last 2 weeks using and fuelling up only one battery. Now I wanted to perform some extensive flights and extensive indoor-testing but had to find out that my two spare batteries were depleted. I was quite puzzled and thought my batts are defective but then I recalled to have seen this "routine depletion"-thing in DJI GO. Right now I cannot check in DJI GO app since one batt is completely empty due to the flight and the two other ones are depleted and refuelling right now.

Just imagine someone leaves home for video-shooting in the wilderness thinking he/she has fully charged batts, just to find out they were depleted on purpose by the routine depletion-cycle !

PLEASE GIVE US ALL (FORUM MEMBERS) SPECIFIC DETAILS ON THIS TOPIC IN DEPTH:

1. What is this programmed function of cyclic battery-depletion (when not in use) good for ? (longevity of batts ? Please be VERY specific and detailed)

2. How can this function be shut off temporarily/permanently in DJI GO app ?

3. REMINDER: ONCE AGAIN (since 2 months !) WE ALL would like to see a detailed MANUAL with in depth-explanations on every single setting/function in/of the DJI GO app.

Please do not delay with the answer ..................
2017-1-15
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Hi.

Agree. Point number 3 is clearly a prerequisite for people not getting frustrated when they were serving a manufacturer's products. For the same reason the manufacturer can avoid many unnecessary complaints and save a lot of money. Therefore, a good well-written manual a real win win situation for both parties.    

Regards Leif.
2017-1-15
Use props
I1100
New
United States

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y+Guidelines-EN.pdf

Page 5 - "Battery Storage" points 2 & 3 covers the designed in battery discharge/hibernation

Manual for GO app would def help, but there are some tweaks you can make to time to discharge in the advanced settings of the aircraft battery menu in GO app settings - doubt you can disable - its there to prevent the battery from swelling and catching fire - LiPo batteries are very dangerous but its engineering like this discharge function that not only provide safety but also allow your batteries to last as long as possible without needing to be replaced.
2017-1-15
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

I1100 Posted at 2017-1-15 07:30
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic+Pro+Intelligent+Flight+Battery+Safety+Guidelines-EN.pdf

Page 5 - "Battery Storage" points 2 & 3 covers the designed in battery discharge/hibernation

Oh, thank You ! NOW I am blamed to the bones !  

Normally I read EVERY single letter of any documentation delivered with a new gadget, but THIS one I skipped after the second page, because I thought it is just the standard bla-bla of any battery safety - guidelines. And, honestly, even if I would have read this completely (which I always do before the gadget is even delivered) maybe I would have forgotten about that already.

Thanks for reminding me of my own carelessness and stupidity ................
2017-1-15
Use props
bigcheese
lvl.2
Flight distance : 403304 ft
Germany

i thing this is the best option ever!
when having flamewheel drone you always have to bring your lipo battery to storage voltage... even when not in use but planned to and charged... this would draw live when leaving full charged all the time.
therefore i kove this option-i dont have to care...
leaving the bat in steel case for safety, but no need to bring to storage voltage - thank you DJI Engineers!!
2017-1-15
Use props
Daedalus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 557552 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Hi

Automatic discharge is part of intelligent battery array of features, i had to maintain normal lipos for my DJI 550 and trust me it is very hard.

I normally set it to 10 Days.  
2017-1-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, what battery percentage was it at prior to storage?
As for your third question, since we keep improving the app, the features might be changed frequently.
But I will pass your suggestion to the appropriate team for review.
2017-1-15
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-15 23:04
Hello, what battery percentage was it at prior to storage?
As for your third question, since we keep improving the app, the features might be changed frequently.
But I will pass your suggestion to the appropriate team for review.

It was 100%. I recharged them after the last flight about 12 days ago and since weather did not permit extensive flying I just used only one battery, which I then recharged and reinserted into my Mavic.  The two spare batteries went down to 58% when I wanted to use them. But since I know now the exact reason I am not worried anymore (should have read the battery manual more carefully) .......... Thanks
2017-1-15
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

It's in fact one of the features of the "intelligent battery" to prevent losing charge capacity and maximize their lifespan. You can as far as I know , change those settings if you plan to be away from the plugs for a few days and you need them to keep the juice
2017-1-16
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

just check the battery and recharge before leaving. It should be common thing to do for pre flight check
2017-1-16
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

I was told by one of the admins that merely doing a "press to check" the state of charge of a battery would reset the time out period back to the default of 10 days or whatever you may have customised it to be. My drone is in the middle of an RMA and I have to admit I kept forgetting to test this little trick, so can't provide evidence either way.
2017-1-16
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

What is better to do when you fly lets say till 25-30% and didn't know when you will fly next time?
I see some options here:
1) Leave it in 25-30% and charge till 100% when you know that you will fly soon (same day or next day).
2) Charge it till 50-60% and leave it till next fly.
3) Charge till 100% and if you not fly after 10 days battery will be discharged by itself.

So, what is best solution in that case?
2017-1-16
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

Andrejs Posted at 2017-1-16 02:39
What is better to do when you fly lets say till 25-30% and didn't know when you will fly next time?
I see some options here:
1) Leave it in 25-30% and charge till 100% when you know that you will fly soon (same day or next day).

Well, if You KNOW that Your next planned flight will be after one or two weeks then refuelling the batt just before flight (it takes approx. 1-2 hours) would be best.

On vacation, when Mavic has to be ready anytime, it should be fuelled up immediately after every flight.
I understand now it´s something like the SONY VAIO-thing: when laptop is constantly running plugged to the charger batt-level is kept at 50%. When estimated working-time off charger is about 3-4 hours battery-saver-function is set to 80% charge. Sony also says, when laptop is not used for several weeks or You have a reserve-batt, batt-charge should be around 50%.
2017-1-16
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

My question mainly is it OK to stay battery in 25-30% level for 1 or 2 weeks? Or it is better to charge till 50%?
2017-1-16
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

Andrejs Posted at 2017-1-16 03:07
My question mainly is it OK to stay battery in 25-30% level for 1 or 2 weeks? Or it is better to charge till 50%?

50 % would be perfect
2017-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules