Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Colorado - Denver Front Range Area
12Next >
14478 56 2017-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bluezdawg
lvl.2
United States

Hello!
Looking forward to sharing information on local events and info on where to fly and capture videos/photos in the Denver Front Range area and around our beautiful state!
Cheers,
'Dawg
2017-1-15
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Hi! I'm in Colorado Springs.There are a number of Mavic pilots here.
2017-1-15
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

I'm located in Boulder Colorado looking for some good places to fly it's illegal practically everywhere...
2017-1-15
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.2
United States

BentonJoyce Posted at 2017-1-15 10:13
I'm located in Boulder Colorado looking for some good places to fly it's illegal practically everywhere...

I hear ya Benton! I live in Superior, same limitations!  Let's hear from a few more folks, maybe we can organize a meet & greet in a central location. Look forward to chatting!
2017-1-15
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.2
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-1-15 10:05
Hi! I'm in Colorado Springs.There are a number of Mavic pilots here.

Hi Wolfgang. Nice to meet you. Hopefully we can build a larger community.
2017-1-15
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
United States

Do you guys no of any good locations to film where the rules are less regulated? Even the open spaces right outside of boulder don't let you fly it's really a bummer I understand it in the city considering it's near an airport and people always fly low around boulder. Colorado could be a great place for film makers and aerial photography but it's  just so regulated considering most of it is a national park...
2017-1-15
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.2
United States

FYI, I plan on checking this out. While I do allot of photography, I am new to drones. Good learning opportunity

https://www.meetup.com/Lone-Tree ... p/events/235802644/
2017-1-15
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.2
United States

BentonJoyce Posted at 2017-1-15 12:23
Do you guys no of any good locations to film where the rules are less regulated? Even the open spaces right outside of boulder don't let you fly it's really a bummer I understand it in the city considering it's near an airport and people always fly low around boulder. Colorado could be a great place for film makers and aerial photography but it's  just so regulated considering most of it is a national park...

Not sure, exactly what I am try to figure out. Hope to hear more on this thread and the Meet-Up I just posted about.  May head out east of I-25 to look for some old farm, barns.... etc, just to get some experience. Btw, I hear There is a pretty active drone community in Fort Collins. Hopefully someone will chime in.
2017-1-15
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

BentonJoyce Posted at 2017-1-15 12:23

We're actually blessed in Colorado with so many great places to fly. They are just not typically in our cities. Here in Colorado Springs we have the Garden of the Gods but it's off limits to drones.  On the other hand, if you are willing to hike for a while (which is why the Mavic is a game changer), we have huge beautiful areas of National Forest and BLM land.  If you don't know where to get started pick out an easy 14er. These all have well-known trails. If you hike in  the winter, it's best to learn avalanche skills. There are many courses for that.
2017-1-16
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
United States

There are definitely tons of places to fly but there is also a vast majority of colorado that has bans or regulations.
2017-1-18
Use props
rickmcolorado
New

United States

BentonJoyce Posted at 2017-1-15 10:13

I am the President of the Longmont Electric Aircraft Flyers (LEAF) in Longmont on the south end of Union Reservoir.  We have at our site, RC aircraft runway, FPV racer circuit and a large open area for drones to fly.  LEAF is an AMA Gold Charter club so all members are required to have their AMA membership and will be required to join the club after first visit.

For more information and direction to the site, go to: www,leafrc.com.

Hope you will come out and join us.

2017-1-19
Use props
rickmcolorado
New

United States

bluezdawg Posted at 2017-1-15 12:11
I hear ya Benton! I live in Superior, same limitations!  Let's hear from a few more folks, maybe we can organize a meet & greet in a central location. Look forward to chatting!

I am the President of the Longmont Electric Aircraft Flyers (LEAF) in Longmont on the south end of Union Reservoir.  We have at our site, RC aircraft runway, FPV racer circuit and a large open area for drones to fly.  LEAF is an AMA Gold Charter club so all members are required to have their AMA membership and will be required to join the club after first visit.

Hope you will come out and join us.
2017-1-20
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.2
United States

rickmcolorado Posted at 2017-1-20 01:04

Thank you RickM! Will check it out. Thanks for sharing this info!
2017-1-20
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.2
United States

I visited the new DJI Store in Lone Tree, CO yesterday. Nice store, and, found the folks working there to be very helpful and knowledgeable. Check it out!
2017-1-22
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
United States

bluezdawg Posted at 2017-1-22 09:30
I visited the new DJI Store in Lone Tree, CO yesterday. Nice store, and, found the folks working there to be very helpful and knowledgeable. Check it out!

dang I didn't know there was a DJI store in CO too bad it is a pretty long drive from boulder :/
2017-1-22
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
United States

rickmcolorado Posted at 2017-1-20 01:04

Sounds good I will look into it!
2017-1-22
Use props
Col-Drone
lvl.2

United States

bluezdawg Posted at 2017-1-15 12:11

Also live in Superior.  Just got my drone this past Friday.  Joining an RC club, like the one located in Longmont is a great/safe way to become familiar with your drone.  I joined the club in Arvada.  Looking forward to sharing experiences.
2017-1-23
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.2
United States

Col-Drone Posted at 2017-1-23 13:08
Also live in Superior.  Just got my drone this past Friday.  Joining an RC club, like the one located in Longmont is a great/safe way to become familiar with your drone.  I joined the club in Arvada.  Looking forward to sharing experiences.

Cool! If you get a chance, stop down at Paul's Coffe & Tea if you are up early. Normally there around 6:45 or, 7:00 most mornings, would  be great to meet you!
2017-1-23
Use props
Col-Drone
lvl.2

United States

bluezdawg Posted at 2017-1-23 13:53
Cool! If you get a chance, stop down at Paul's Coffe & Tea if you are up early. Normally there around 6:45 or, 7:00 most mornings, would  be great to meet you!

At about 6:45 to 7:00, in the morning, I am just about done hitting the snooze button on my alarm clock.  
2017-1-23
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
United States

Col-Drone Posted at 2017-1-23 19:14
At about 6:45 to 7:00, in the morning, I am just about done hitting the snooze button on my alarm clock.

haha I'm with you on that
2017-1-24
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.2
United States

Lol... I am beyond needing beauty sleep
2017-1-25
Use props
Col-Drone
lvl.2

United States

bluezdawg Posted at 2017-1-25 11:21
Lol... I am beyond needing beauty sleep

Maybe we can arrange a different time/day to meet.
2017-1-27
Use props
Shadowspawne
lvl.1

United States

Hey,
     I am here in the Colorado Springs area as well. I have just been standing on my balcony and flying, up and down the creek/river beds, and surrounding areas. I have only dared to take it about a 1/2 mile out as of yet, still barely in sight. Anyone have any experience in flying it to get some shots when it is snowing? Or below 32 degrees fahrenheit?
2017-1-29
Use props
Shadowspawne
lvl.1

United States

Servus,
     I am here in the Colorado Springs area as well. I have just been standing on my balcony and flying, up and down the creek/river beds, and surrounding areas. I have only dared to take it about a 1/2 mile out as of yet, still barely in sight. Anyone have any experience in flying it to get some shots when it is snowing? Or below 32 degrees fahrenheit?
2017-1-29
Use props
Shadowspawne
lvl.1

United States

Hey,
Has anyone heard of the "blade locks" that are new for the DJI drones, to help with blade fly offs?
2017-1-29
Use props
Col-Drone
lvl.2

United States

Shadowspawne Posted at 2017-1-29 02:11
Hey,
Has anyone heard of the "blade locks" that are new for the DJI drones, to help with blade fly offs?

If I understand correctly, DJI is offering (for a price) the "quick release propeller plates" used in the Inspire 2 to folks who own an Inspire 1.  I received the announcement, when I opened my "DJI Go 4" app.  Not sure why I received it, since I don't own an Inspire.  

2017-2-1
Use props
kezcolorado
New

United States

DJI android developer, looking for someone to help me test my apps.  Denver.  Looking for an RC Club too.
2017-2-2
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

Shadowspawne Posted at 2017-1-29 02:09
Servus,

Howdy Shadowspawne, I am up Laramie way; I have not taken it out when it was snowing hard, but I have had it in flurries and in a "warm, windless" thirty degree weather, heck twenty five degrees is spring up here.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-4
Use props
JFNQ8oc1PJ6m
lvl.1

United States

Hey All !! Denver here, have had Mavic since Dec 26 !! Got one at the Dji store lonetree ! guys are awesome there !!     I fly many other quads as well....    Be fun to bounce ideas off everyone !   Been taking pics and video every where...  Up 285 towards Kenosha pass..as well here in Town with no issues.  The few times I have been questioned I explained what I was doing and all rangers have been more inquisitive about the mavic than anything else.    have a great day !!  Fly it like you stole it !!!!
2017-2-4
Use props
Col-Drone
lvl.2

United States

JFNQ8oc1PJ6m Posted at 2017-2-4 14:18
Hey All !! Denver here, have had Mavic since Dec 26 !! Got one at the Dji store lonetree ! guys are awesome there !!     I fly many other quads as well....    Be fun to bounce ideas off everyone !   Been taking pics and video every where...  Up 285 towards Kenosha pass..as well here in Town with no issues.  The few times I have been questioned I explained what I was doing and all rangers have been more inquisitive about the mavic than anything else.    have a great day !!  Fly it like you stole it !!!!

Welcome to the group.  I live closer to Boulder.  If you are looking to join an rc group, I just signed up with the Arvada Associated Modelers in Arvada.  Not sure how much of a drive it would be for you.  Their field is near the intersection of Highway 93 and Leyden road.  They have two airstrips and four drone take-off/landing sites.

There is another RC club in Longmont.  I have not visited it, but it sounds interesting.  They have an enclosed building for drone indoor flying.  For the indoor flying, they restrict the size of the drone.

There is a third RC club in Boulder.  The folks there seemed friendly enough, but they have some heavy duty restrictions put in place by the city of Boulder.  It is located next to the Boulder Reservoir.  The restrictions are driven by the mating seasons of certain birds during different times of the year.  

I am sure there are clubs in the Denver area, but those would be a bit of a drive for me.
2017-2-4
Use props
Dakoolaid911
lvl.1

United States

Col-Drone Posted at 2017-2-4 21:44
Welcome to the group.  I live closer to Boulder.  If you are looking to join an rc group, I just signed up with the Arvada Associated Modelers in Arvada.  Not sure how much of a drive it would be for you.  Their field is near the intersection of Highway 93 and Leyden road.  They have two airstrips and four drone take-off/landing sites.

There is another RC club in Longmont.  I have not visited it, but it sounds interesting.  They have an enclosed building for drone indoor flying.  For the indoor flying, they restrict the size of the drone.

cool i will look into those....     look forward to learning and talking to fellow quadcopter owners
2017-2-5
Use props
COHighFlyer
New
United States

Hello,  Eastern CO Springs here.  I've had my P3 4K for a couple weeks now.  Getting used to flying it, mostly around the family farm.

2017-2-6
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.2
United States

COHighFlyer Posted at 2017-2-6 09:41
Hello,  Eastern CO Springs here.  I've had my P3 4K for a couple weeks now.  Getting used to flying it, mostly around the family farm.

Welcome!  Had my Mavic for about a month now, enjoying the heck out of it.  Look forward to seeing some video & pics. Enjoy!
2017-2-7
Use props
Zardoz
New
Flight distance : 68822 ft
United States

Hey guys,

I am in the Englewood/Littleton area. My Mavic is on order but I expect to see a shipping notice any day now. Hopefully I can find some places to fly without having to go too far out. Any suggestions? I know one guy I saw on Facebook that flew at Daniels Park. He may even be on here. Let's plan for a local event soon!

Scott

2017-2-14
Use props
Zardoz
New
United States

Mavic has shipped! On the slow boat from China. I just hope it doesnt sink.....
2017-2-17
Use props
jackb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15315 ft
United States

Hi, I'm located in the north Loveland area!
2017-2-18
Use props
Zardoz
New
United States

My Mavic arrived this morning, 2 days early! Can't wait to get home
2017-2-20
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.2
United States

Zardoz Posted at 2017-2-20 14:15
My Mavic arrived this morning, 2 days early! Can't wait to get home

Enjoy! Let us know how it goes! Spend some time in the manual, worth the time. Will likely need a firmware update.
2017-2-23
Use props
denverdrone
New
United States

Hi Aurora here, i have been flying in National Forests . if you look on the US forest page it clearly says this:     The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) (link is external) has regulatory authority over all airspace, including recreational use of airspace by model aircraft (See FAA Advisory Circular 91-57)  (link is external).  The U.S. Forest Service does not have the authority to establish any additional regulations regarding where UAS can or can’t be flown.    https://www.fs.fed.us/science-te ... ed-aircraft-systems

been getting alot of great footage
2017-2-25
Use props
Laybac
New

United States

Hello

New here, just got a P3S tonight, Denver area. Excited to learn how to use this beast!
2017-2-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules