Central Virginia
1421 16 2017-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
drb1215
lvl.2

United States

HI,

I'm flying, and new to drones, around Charlottesville VA. Beautiful old horse country, lots of land, and the Blue Ridge Mountains  nearby. Anyone else flying around here?

Thanks,
Dan
2017-1-15
Use props
acer
lvl.1

United States

hey dan my name is scott. I live out near the airport.  are you in cville or outside of city?
2017-1-22
Use props
drb1215
lvl.2

United States

Hi Scott - I'm out in Keswick.
2017-1-22
Use props
acer
lvl.1

United States

cool you have some nice country side around you. I have been into all kinds of rc over the last 30 years but I am fairly new to drones also.  amazing what you can do with these things lol
2017-1-23
Use props
drb1215
lvl.2

United States

acer Posted at 2017-1-23 12:21
cool you have some nice country side around you. I have been into all kinds of rc over the last 30 years but I am fairly new to drones also.  amazing what you can do with these things lol

i've been into photography for as long as i can remember, but drones are new to me.  I really like how stable of a platform it is for taking pictures...even long multi-second exposures.   Video is something I've only dabbled in a bit, but the drone is giving my a new outlook on it. (I'm in the process of learning Final Cut Pro x).

Which drone did you get?  I have a Phantom 3 Standard. I wasn't sure how much I'd get into it, so I didn't want to spend a whole lot.  Happy with the choice, but I see myself upgrading to something with a better camera.

-Dan
2017-1-23
Use props
acer
lvl.1

United States

which drone did I get? funny that you ask. it was spur of the moment kinda.  walmart had it on thanksgiving day for 369. after looking at the ad, the wife was going shopping so I gave her  my credit card really thinking they don't have it in stock, just for order. I figured for the price I would try it. they had it and she bought it. so to make it short I had a blast with it for two and a half weeks. sold it to a guy at work at bought the p4. so I guess that means im hooked deep now. I don't know squat about transferring pics or videos cant figure it out for nothing. but being able to look over parts of Ruckersville  from 3 and 400 feet above has gotten me interested in photography and video. even I notice the difference between the two cameras. the p4 is more stable and I like the extra distance too. lots more features. if not for the low price on the p3s I probably would still be missing out on the fun.
scott
2017-1-24
Use props
drb1215
lvl.2

United States

You sound as bad as I am once you get hooked on something. For me it's brewing beer, shooting /reloading and and now drones!

I'd be more than happy to walk you through how to transfer images / videos, as well as showing you how to use something like Lightroom to process images. If you are interested.
-Dan
2017-1-24
Use props
acer
lvl.1

United States

yeah that would be great, thanks. and im all about shooting/reloading pistol and rifle. I reload everything but the ak. I don't brew beer but I drink my share lol.
2017-1-24
Use props
acer
lvl.1

United States

hey dan im going to Ruckersville sunday to fly in the quarry.  your welcome to meet up if you want to see some different areas.
2017-2-4
Use props
drb1215
lvl.2

United States

acer Posted at 2017-2-4 12:50
hey dan im going to Ruckersville sunday to fly in the quarry.  your welcome to meet up if you want to see some different areas.

Hey Scott - Sounds like it would be fun. Unfortunately I have a document to write that is due Monday morning for work, so my Sunday will be spent at the keyboard.

I did get out and fly over the Rivanna River this morning. Was nice to have a day without howling winds.  I'll post the video under Phantom/Video&Photo.

Have a great time at the quarry!
-Dan
2017-2-4
Use props
drb1215
lvl.2

United States

Here's the link to the thread with the video of the Rivanna River http://forum.dji.com/thread-83670-1-1.html
2017-2-4
Use props
Winnamon84
New

United States

Nice Shots.  I would love to get some, I live near Richmond, Virginia!!!!!
2017-2-4
Use props
drb1215
lvl.2

United States

Winnamon84 Posted at 2017-2-4 21:46
Nice Shots.  I would love to get some, I live near Richmond, Virginia!!!!!

Thanks Winnamon84!  Nice to see another drone enthusiast in Central VA!
2017-2-4
Use props
acer
lvl.1

United States

nice video dan.  im still scared to be that close to trees lol. is that in palmyra?
2017-2-5
Use props
drb1215
lvl.2

United States

acer Posted at 2017-2-5 06:28
nice video dan.  im still scared to be that close to trees lol. is that in palmyra?

Yes it is. It's where 53 crosses the river, just past the center of town.
2017-2-5
Use props
drb1215
lvl.2

United States

acer Posted at 2017-2-5 06:28

Believe me, I had no idea the trees on the other side of the river are that tall! I couldn't see them from where I was standing. I'm just happy that the drone followed the waypoints and stayed pretty much over the center of the river. Almost had heart failure when I watched the video!
2017-2-5
Use props
acer
lvl.1

United States

I thought that bridge looked familiar. didn't get in much flying today because of the wind. not bad here at my house but gusty in the quarry.
2017-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules