Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Misleading Title] Phantom 4 Discontinued
12Next >
10192 57 2017-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DrawsWithLight.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

Apparently....

2017-1-18
Use props
fans31e679eb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 330869 ft
United States

You can get a very good deal on the Phantom 4 at this time with a little bit of research. I just bought one on Monday. I could have gotten a 4 Pro but I was not willing to spend the extra money at this time (almost double from a local dealer). I am sad to see a very good product discontinued so soon.
2017-1-18
Use props
imtheredude
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

This is just a big slap in the face to everyone who purchased a Phantom 4!  You can pretty much forget about any type of customer service probably.
2017-1-18
Use props
imtheredude
Second Officer
United States

Ha Ha Ha I guess they didn't want to fix the Firmware 1.18 problems!
2017-1-18
Use props
imtheredude
Second Officer
United States

https://www.suasnews.com/2017/01/farewell-dji-phantom-4/
2017-1-18
Use props
Testman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7764088 ft
Italy

I think and hope was the Phantom 3 Professional and Phantom 3 Adavanced to be discontinued, not Phantom 4.
2017-1-18
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Phase out of P4 has begun!  Much like cell industry does with new models every year.

Mavic 2 should be out maybe in June with a 20MP camera.  Fold-up and smaller P5 in September.  New Inspire 3 around November with optical stabilization and strobes or floods.  
2017-1-18
Use props
Chief RM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136204 ft
United States

imtheredude Posted at 2017-1-18 07:46
This is just a big slap in the face to everyone who purchased a Phantom 4!  You can pretty much forget about any type of customer service probably.

Let's hope not as I had real good customer service with my P4 firmware issues.
2017-1-18
Use props
fans705464bb
First Officer
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

As a Phantom 4 owner, I just want to say that I am ... totally thrilled at this news. Keep up the great work DJI. I hope you have new drones to tempt me with in the the near future.
2017-1-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting times, although the P4 Pro is nice, but it's not 50% better than the P4 in performance (50% being the price difference between a P4 and P4 Pro in the UK). With the current price of the P4 Pro I can see DJI growth stalling in the UK. Or a Mavic takeover of the market :-)
2017-1-18
Use props
Visalia Califor
lvl.1
United States

All these Phantoms are pretty much the same. Why would they not support them? They are just trickling out the tech like every other tech company. DJI just does it a little faster.
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Don't believe everything you read, guys... Note how many times he said the word "alleged". Wait for official announcements from DJI.
2017-1-18
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.1

United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-1-18 11:12
Don't believe everything you read, guys... Note how many times he said the word "alleged". Wait for official announcements from DJI.

It's all over the internet on reliable sources' websites.  Are you saying it is not true?  Being an Admin on this page, I would think that you would know for sure whether or not this is true.
2017-1-18
Use props
eliot may
lvl.4
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

So I am looking to upgrade from my P3S (which I love) to P4. Should I change my plans? Is the P4 going to work for me and get support / repair for a couple years? Should I wait (i had to look up how to spell that word) for the price to come down with this news?
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Ob1415 Posted at 2017-1-18 11:29
It's all over the internet on reliable sources' websites.  Are you saying it is not true?  Being an Admin on this page, I would think that you would know for sure whether or not this is true.

I can't confirm nor deny yet. Just be skeptical until sources are verified.

That being said, that email doesn't read at all like one sent from us, refers to us in the third person, has spelling and formatting errors, and makes market affecting claims.
2017-1-18
Use props
fans31e679eb
lvl.1
United States

eliot may Posted at 2017-1-18 11:30
So I am looking to upgrade from my P3S (which I love) to P4. Should I change my plans? Is the P4 going to work for me and get support / repair for a couple years? Should I wait (i had to look up how to spell that word) for the price to come down with this news?

No now is an excellent time to upgrade. Just look at the prices at some major retailers. I bought mine for under $900 on Monday afternoon.
2017-1-18
Use props
Odan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

Sounds like my new Phantom 4 is already a collectors item. {:4_157:}  Worst things happen at sea.
As long as DJI still treats the Phantom owners as well as they do now down the road...2-3 years.
It's already very easy to get after market programs for  Phantoms.  Parts and repair will be my big issue.  I've built  electric helicopters so I think being able
to repair and replace parts would be  gr8.
It would be fun to modify one of these drones, hotter motors, different props maybe even different body styles.
Anyhow, it seems that almost everyone who gets a drone has visions of grandeur in the commercial drone industry.
Same thing happened to artist when the internet made personal web pages possible. after a week or so....millions.
That's why some of these articles presented to us seem to imply that DJI  is concentrating on commercial drones.
I mean, if you're serious about photography you'll need several lens  You'll need the ability to zoom in/out.  and then there's lighting issues.
I have seen so many gr8 vids shot with the Phantom series.  The truth is,  How many rivers or canyons can you watch ? I can see where the consumer drone will die back
some and leave room for the folks that spend $10,000 on drone and equipment. When you visit someone do you really hope they will break out their home videos and
have you watch them all night or would you rather watch a movie?
I plan on just enjoying my P4 and make vids.  Perhaps I'm just a hardcore recreational drone dude but still I keep informed on the whole field of droning.
Fly long and hard and enjoy whatever  you fly and for whatever reason you fly
2017-1-18
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.4
United Kingdom

eliot may Posted at 2017-1-18 11:30

The standard P4 is a massive jump on from a P3S. If you can get one at the right price from a local seller (for returns etc) I still think it's a great drone. I think DJI is trying to steer people onto the P4 Pro.
2017-1-18
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

Phantom 4 Getting Phantom 4Pro Features

How true is that quote, lots of speculation on the internet. Hopefully it does happen. Maybe it will be close to the last firmware for the P4 and make it a decent keeper for people disappointed with the decision to discontinue it.
2017-1-18
Use props
Normn8or
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-1-18 11:40
I can't confirm nor deny yet. Just be skeptical until sources are verified.

That being said, that email doesn't read at all like one sent from us, refers to us in the third person, has spelling and formatting errors, and makes market affecting claims.

The E-Mail reads in third party terms because Apple is buying DJI
2017-1-18
Use props
Lethal
First Officer
Flight distance : 71096 ft
Australia

don't care much - would be sad to see it go but if it is replaced, will fly my P4 until it breaks permanently and then buy whatever DJI product I can afford at that time - have well and truly got the enjoyment value out of my P4!
2017-1-18
Use props
MrPinaColada
Second Officer
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

I'm not entirely sure what they're marketing strategy is but it's not going to help them much longer if they continue this trend. They released 4 new consumer drones this year alone and are discontinuing a product that has not even been out for a year. Id assume next phantom is out in March (p5) while new mavic is June, and new inspire + revamped p5 out in early fall. Pretty much a new product every 4-5 months which consumers cannot compete with....we'll see what they do I guess.
2017-1-18
Use props
C_LUU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

Why is this even an issue that people are winging about? DJI still supports all its products ever made, you can still buy spare parts for the phantom 1 and 2 on the internet. Its basically consumers pi**** off that they don't have the latest piece of tech at all times. Ridiculous
2017-1-18
Use props
Bfd300
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73661 ft
United States

P3P is was and always be the best DJI ever put out.........forget  obstacle avoidance  ..............learn to fly and you wont need it.
2017-1-18
Use props
Somnium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 888819 ft
Kazakhstan

Normn8or Posted at 2017-1-18 14:36
The E-Mail reads in third party terms because Apple is buying DJI

What??? Where did you hear about?
I hope that this event will never happen that Apple will buy the DJI ... Otherwise, we tell them "Goodbye" ... But these drones are so good that we do not want to say them goodbye.
But how do we know if Apple suddenly become the owner, the drones will become more expensive. Update them  will be possible only with Mac computers, and control only by the iPhone, GO app will be paid, and if you will want to download video from your drone then you have to pay again... Etc.
2017-1-18
Use props
imtheredude
Second Officer
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-18 17:44
Why?  Are you going to a competitor because they bring out new models too often?

Well had you known that it would be discontinued within months would you still purchase the Phantom 4??
2017-1-18
Use props
C_LUU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

imtheredude Posted at 2017-1-18 19:28
Well had you known that it would be discontinued within months would you still purchase the Phantom 4??

A lot of people wait for the latest model to come out so they can purchase the old model heavily discounted, this is very common practice.
2017-1-18
Use props
fans31e679eb
lvl.1
United States

Knowing what I have learned from owning a P4 for only 4 days I would buy one again if needed. It is much better then the P3A and the camera is much clearer then the camera on my Typhoon H. The P4 warms up faster then the H and is more maneuverable.
2017-1-18
Use props
imtheredude
Second Officer
United States

Just a simple yes or no question so I guess you're saying that you would? I personally would not have. I probably would have waited and got the Mavic.
2017-1-18
Use props
MrPinaColada
Second Officer
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-18 17:44
Why?  Are you going to a competitor because they bring out new models too often?

There's a reason Apple and Samsung, both smartphone giants, release one new phone and one new tablet a year, not four. People don't go through phones every month, in fact the average phone consumer buys a new phone every 1-2 years. Similar to a car, why would I need to buy a new car every 4 months? Or a new drone every 4 months? P4P and P4P Pro sales are not high for this reason, because a mavic was just released as well as the original P4 6 months ago. Their marketing makes no sense.
2017-1-18
Use props
Normn8or
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

Somnium Posted at 2017-1-18 19:19
What??? Where do you heared about?
I hope that this event will never happen that Apple will buy the DJI ... Otherwise, we tell them "Goodbye" ... But these drones are so good that we do not want to say them goodbye.
But how do we know if Apple suddenly become the owner, the drones will become more expensive. Update them  will be possible only with Mac computers, and control only by the iPhone, GO app will be paid, and if you will want to download video from your drone then you have to pay again... Etc.

It was two stories away in my news feed from the story about the discontinuance of the Phantom 3 series and the the phantom 4 standard.
2017-1-18
Use props
MrPinaColada
Second Officer
United States

Somnium Posted at 2017-1-18 19:19
What??? Where do you heared about?

I don't know if I would believe Apple is buying DJI. Yes DJI is doing fairly well as they're the top drone manufacturer as of right now, but 1. Apple has no business in this market, 2. I don't believe DJI would give up what they have to Apple even for a very very large sum of money.
2017-1-18
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

first of all I'm not aware they discontinued it. but even if they did, that should be good news. price would go down, more people could afford it, we as community will gain better knowledge.
i think you look at the p4 as a way to accede or belong. it is about that too ultimately, but in first place the p4 is a magnificent toy. made pilots out of people who never thought of becoming one. offered to the masses what tesla or apple are trying to: a means to own the time we all live in.
personally, i do care a little on how fashionable i look, but ultimately is my level of comfort picking the clothes for me.
i would only be concerned about it (DJI discontinue the P4) if that would render my P4 useless, hence isolating me from my friends.
I mean look at the clowns at gopro, making one model after another with minimal added value: it became a way to pointing out the snobs (wearing the latest same old) rather than a way to enjoy progress.
If there is a thing I hate about computers is that progress is more of a means to force people buy new things rather than enjoy a better standard. in computer business they keep on inventing flaws so they can come up correcting with next revision. is like people producing malware in an attempt to sell the antidote.
now returning to P4, let's face it: if it works, is a piece of magic. the finis is apple, the reliability is military grade, the compatibility is wide at least. And yes, if it works: mine works, I cant speak for people complaining, but I am aware they exist.
I hope my arguments convinced you that even if P4 discontinued, it will not be the end of the world for people with moral compass.
2017-1-19
Use props
Viridis
Captain
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MrPinaColada Posted at 2017-1-18 21:01
There's a reason Apple and Samsung, both smartphone giants, release one new phone and one new tablet a year, not four. People don't go through phones every month, in fact the average phone consumer buys a new phone every 1-2 years. Similar to a car, why would I need to buy a new car every 4 months? Or a new drone every 4 months? P4P and P4P Pro sales are not high for this reason, because a mavic was just released as well as the original P4 6 months ago. Their marketing makes no sense.

In fairness tho, samsung released 10+ phones in 2016
2017-1-19
Use props
Rosey
New
Flight distance : 21135 ft
United States

So...I just got the Phantom 3 Standard, as in within two weeks. Should I look at returning it to the store? I am new to the drone life (having a blast with it so far), but the Phantom 3 Standard was still a lot of money to spend on a product line that is being discontinued no? Wondering if I should look into another drone line...
2017-1-19
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Rosey Posted at 2017-1-19 14:42
So...I just got the Phantom 3 Standard, as in within two weeks. Should I look at returning it to the store? I am new to the drone life (having a blast with it so far), but the Phantom 3 Standard was still a lot of money to spend on a product line that is being discontinued no? Wondering if I should look into another drone line...

If you bought a refrigerator last year and found out that manufacturer was discontinuing production as they had replaced it with a new model ..... would you feel any need to return the one you bought?

ps ... you won't get anything to match the P3 standard for a similar price.
2017-1-19
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

As commented above, models change but support typically continues.
The fridge example is OK, but let's use cars - models change each year, and dealers have run out sales where the prices are reduced to reflect. People don't say 'Bugger, can I return the car I previously bought as it's superceded?'. It's not an issue as parts are maintained for sometime, and support also continues for a period after.
2017-1-19
Use props
joe_gadget
Second Officer

Australia

The P3S is NOT being discontinued.
2017-1-19
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.4
United States

Let's hope this is "fake news"! My P4 isn't even a year old yet and I purchased 2 extra batteries when I ordered it, plus prop guards and a couple of other extras.
2017-1-19
Use props
joe_gadget
Second Officer

Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-1-19 15:24
As commented above, models change but support typically continues.
The fridge example is OK, but let's use cars - models change each year, and dealers have run out sales where the prices are reduced to reflect. People don't say 'Bugger, can I return the car I previously bought as it's superceded?'. It's not an issue as parts are maintained for sometime, and support also continues for a period after.

Cars is actually not a good example, as In Australia by law manufacturers are required to have spares available for I believe 7 or 10 years after the model has been superceded.  There is nothing to stop DJI from simply saying sorry can't repair your craft anymore after the 12 month warranty expires.
2017-1-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules