Osmo Mobile C of G? Is there any quality control?
1138 7 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Capt.Capture
lvl.1

Germany

Hi, I have just received my 2nd Osmo Mobile after I´ve sent my first one in because it was loosing the horizon by 45 degrees at times after a few minutes of using. Now the second one  has the Center of Gravity in a different position than my first Osmo and my gimbal+ phone is not balanced in the pitch axis, where as my first one was 100% balanced.
Now as a consequence of that I get a warm motor and the battery seems to drain faster than what I remember the first one draining.
My question is, is this normal?  Can I still use it & is this acceptable?

Here´s a video.

How come, that DJI has such big variability in its products? Poor quality control? I have tried out a total of 4 (n=4) different Osmo Mobile (friends´), and each one was different in its own way, (not in a bad way). I have no clue whats going on, but if they would test their products before they ship them out would save us all alot of money, time and hassle.

Any help is very much appreciated.

2017-1-19
Use props
giggidditygiggi
lvl.2
United States

You are sliding the power into sleep mode, the green is pulsating - basically you sorta turned it off.
2017-1-19
Use props
Capt.Capture
lvl.1

Germany

giggidditygiggi Posted at 2017-1-19 15:00
You are sliding the power into sleep mode, the green is pulsating - basically you sorta turned it off.

My issue is not the turning off part but the fact that the phone tilts with the screen facing the floor. It is out of balance compared to the first one I had and it puts a sort of a strain on the motor because of it.
2017-1-19
Use props
yelenavik
lvl.2

United States

Capt.Capture Posted at 2017-1-19 15:11
My issue is not the turning off part but the fact that the phone tilts with the screen facing the floor. It is out of balance compared to the first one I had and it puts a sort of a strain on the motor because of it.

My Iphone 7 plus much worse balanced,I added steel nut at side for approximately balance and it work, hold horizon
2017-1-19
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

yelenavik Posted at 2017-1-19 21:22
My Iphone 7 plus much worse balanced,I added steel nut at side for approximately balance and it work, hold horizon

It could be that the grips aren't gripping the phone equally for some reason.  It's not a problem that I've experienced with the 2 Osmo mobiles that I've used and I've used them with 2 different sizes of phone.  It is a worry, however, if as you say the motor is getting warm as this will likely affect the osmo over time.
2017-1-20
Use props
Capt.Capture
lvl.1

Germany

A1000 Posted at 2017-1-20 01:05
It could be that the grips aren't gripping the phone equally for some reason.  It's not a problem that I've experienced with the 2 Osmo mobiles that I've used and I've used them with 2 different sizes of phone.  It is a worry, however, if as you say the motor is getting warm as this will likely affect the osmo over time.

The grips grip the same way Osmo #1 did. I personally dont think its a thing to worry about, apart from the battery drain. The motor could theoretically handle it. But boy what is going on with DJI? Why is every product to such a degree different than the other? They probably have so much production going on they just cant keep up
2017-1-20
Use props
giggidditygiggi
lvl.2
United States

Perhaps put some duct tape on the arm(or a white china marker line to indicate where it was before- and see if if moves a bit) when you have it balanced, I tend to always see it a tad loose after walking around with it.
* I mean that arm with the tightening bolt to balance your camera before turning it on.
2017-1-20
Use props
Capt.Capture
lvl.1

Germany

giggidditygiggi Posted at 2017-1-20 18:26
Perhaps put some duct tape on the arm(or a white china marker line to indicate where it was before- and see if if moves a bit) when you have it balanced, I tend to always see it a tad loose after walking around with it.
* I mean that arm with the tightening bolt to balance your camera before turning it on.

That bolt balances the roll axis and not the pitch axis. The balancing of the pitch axis is something that comes from the centre of gravity of the unit itself which in turn depends on the shape, and materials used. Since everything about the unit should theoretically be the same then there should be no reason for  units to variate to such a degree. To me this reflects really low manufacturing standards.
2017-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules